• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gruner Veltliner

inventolux

I have been unsuccessful in searching for some gruners with some good ageability. I would like them to be in the 5 to 10 year maturation range. Does anyone have any links or info that could possibly help me out?

Thanks a bunch.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Mark, talking to Terry last month he feels that they are age-worthy.

I agree getting ahold of him would be your best bet.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I am sure gruners are ageable. Look at the acididty, and austerity in youth. My friend Amy who is a righteous wine babe and very knowledgeable in the Austrian department has had old gruners. They do that weird pull taffy petrol thing, like german rieslings. By pull taffy I mean the that texturally they become less unctous and in the nose and palate more tertiary qualities emerge. Like Mark I haven't had any. But I agree, let's get Terry to post re this subject.

over it

I've had GVs older than twenty years and they were showing no hint of tiring.

Terry Theise also advocates their aging. In his latest catalog of Austrian wines he writes:

Aging Gruener Veltliner: you gotta be patient! I know of no variety other than Chenin Blanc (in the Loire, of course) which takes longer to taste old. All things being equal, Veltliner lasts longer than Riesling, and it never goes petrolly. What it can do is to take on a dried-mushroom character that becomes meaty. Mature GrueVe has been a revelation to every taster I've seen. It's a perfect choice for a rich fatty meat course when you prefer to use white wine. Don't think you have to drink them young - though if you catch one at any age short of ten years you are drinking it young. Thinkj of young GrueVe like fresh oyseter mushrooms, and grownup GrueVe like dried shitakes.

Edited by Claude Kolm/The Fine Wine Review (log)

But I agree, let's get Terry to post re this subject.

I had lunch with Terry earlier this week and I told him about eGullet. Perhaps he'll peek in. Who knew you were supposed to age them? :wub:

I had one that was 17 years old while I was visiting chateaunuf du pape earlier this year. It was amazing, I have been looking for some with 10 years on them and have been out of luck. The gruner scene is really one of fascination for me. I see it as becoming as popular as white burgundy in the future. For the price of new gruvelts, you can achieve some wonderful complex flavor profiles with age.

Edited by inventolux (log)

www.motorestaurant.com

I have been unsuccessful in searching for some gruners with some good ageability. I would like them to be in the 5 to 10 year maturation range. Does anyone have any links or info that could possibly help me out?

Thanks a bunch.

Would a few suggestions be appropriate?

In any good vintage, I think the following wines would meet your stated criteria:

Hirtzberger, Honivogl

Knoll, Vinothekenfullung

Alzinger, Liebenberg

F.X. Pichler, "M"

Brundlmayer, Lamm and Alte Reben

Nigl, Alte Reben

and assoted producers making out of the Achleiten Vineyard.

There are many others, but these would be my choices for aging in virtually any vintage.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Thanks a bunch.

Would a few suggestions be appropriate?

In any good vintage, I think the following wines would meet your stated criteria:

Hirtzberger, Honivogl

Knoll, Vinothekenfullung

Alzinger, Liebenberg

F.X. Pichler, "M"

Brundlmayer, Lamm and Alte Reben

Nigl, Alte Reben

and assoted producers making out of the Achleiten Vineyard.

There are many others, but these would be my choices for aging in virtually any vintage.

Best, Jim

Thanks jim, I have had the pichler and it was outstanding. Great post.

www.motorestaurant.com

J;

I have always been a lover of Prager, but usually with Rieslings. Would you put that name on your list??

Probably not for GruVee. I was trying to get "go to" GV that ages in almost any vintage; with Prager and GV, I would be selective.

Now, his Achleiten Riesling is a different matter.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

Brundlmayer has been my favorite over the years, but I can't say that I've had too many of the others. I'll have to hold on to some of mine for a while to try them with some age. Thanks for the tip.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz