• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hopleaf Trip

Did you really give the cheese to a homeless guy, Dean? That's awesome!

Sorry I missed it. I'm broke. :angry: Does anyone need a babysitter? I promise I can be good! And I have references, all from Kids Who Love Me To Babysit For Them, and their grateful parents.

Did you guys gossip about me? **insert panting, drooling emoticon here**

Noise is music. All else is food.

:raz:

Us?  Take St. Maggie's name in vain?  Gentle innocent us??

:raz:

Yes, gentle innocent you! Our ears were burning, right Nero?

I'm broke too, which is why I didn't make it. Unlike Nero (who come to think of it, would be the best babysitter on the planet!) I would probably corrupt your little ones. Now, catsitting, OTOH.

THe Hopleaf serves food?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yeeeeeesssssssssss,

A good time was had by all, meaning by the contingent of HeartLanders that showed up that is :rolleyes:.

Very right nightscotsman, "That girl needs her own TV show." I already would have bought one of her hawked products (biting wit I believe) at the bar if she was selling. The food and the beer are good at Hoplead, I also had the duck-sand. But the only sour note to the whole night was that the bar made us put the cheese away, hhhhmmmmm it was not like we were not ordering any food or beer from them :angry:. (Guajolote that is great that you gave the cheese to a homeless person).

I leave you all with a thing to ponder,

The Hopleaf bar must be the only joint in town with dancing pink elephants.

Hobbes

They just started serving food. The mussels were good, but I make better ones. Excellent frites.

Nero, we may take you up on that babysitting offer - I'll talk it over with Elizabeth.

Thanks!

I promise I can behave.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Hobbes also came, he is quite nervous about starting his new job today (good luck Hobbes!).

Ah yes the first day on the job,

It went well, better than I expected. As I have said before, I have to be a dishwasher for 2 days and then move on to "the line." Last night I was a dishwasher. As a cook it is a good experience to know how it feels to be a dishwasher when all you have contact with them is shoveling them your dirty sauté pans, etc. As Bourdain says in one of his books, "I could fire my saucier any day, never my dishwasher." Now I know from personal experience. After tonight's dishwashing I move on to the pasty side of "the line." Why pastry, not sure, because I have no previous experience in pastry but that is where chef wants me to go so I'll go. It is not a very complex dessert menu so I will be able to handle it in the little training I have had before (at culinary school) and the training I will get from Ohba. I will also get a chance to get "pastry" on my resume as before I would not have had the chance. I also will only be making a pit stop at pastry; only until I can train the next person to replace me.

All is good and I'll keep you all up to date on the goings on at Ohba.

Later,

Hobbes

FYI:

Ohba

2049 W. Division St.

773-772-2727

Keep updating us, please, Hobbes.

BTW, here's a link to Ohba's website.

Yes, please do! And they say being a plongeur builds all kinds of character.

Quick post all,

(I am leaving for work in a few seconds)

Yes I am definitely am building character, I am going to be a "plongeur" 2 more times, next week. Worked 12 hours yesterday, am learning how to make all the deserts (not jut plating but building the cakes, sauces, sorbets/icecreams, etc.). Nightscotsman, you are very right that the Ohba site is very annoying, That is why I did not link directly to it in my last post. Yes the food is good. A good fusion of very traditional Japanese with other influnces from other Asian countries and Europe. Bright, clean flavors; good eats. Do not know how good their wine list is? I know that they have a very large selection of sake. Think of Ohba like a more Casual Nobu NYC