• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ireland tips anyone?

I'll be travelling through Ireland aroud mid July for two weeks and hoped some of you might sare their experiences and tips. Here's our planned tour : Dingle-Connemara-Birr-Kilkenny-Kinsale-Bantry-Kerry (probably Kenmare). I already have a few "goals" set:

-Cafe Paradiso in Cork. I'm no vegetarian but I've read only good stuff about them

-Ballymaloe house maybe, although since we're travelling with our son we might only be able to eat lunch there.

thanks for any tips

Alberto

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Hi Alberto-your trip sounds great.I would highly recommend Ballymaloe House(I may be a bit biased as I studied cooking at the school run by Darina Allen nearby :biggrin: ).Another place I would recommend is Customs House Restaurant,Baltimore ,in co,cork.

In general I think you will be impressed by the variety of good value and high standards with many local artisanal producers and the benefit of classic seafood still available straight from the sea nto the plate on the same day.Have fun and I look forward to your report.Pinga

Hi Scotsaute-I did the 12 week course in January 2002-fantastic experience and great place to explore the west of Ireland from.September course will be better from an ingredients standpoint as the school has a huge and wonderfully stocked organic vegetable garden,also a farm at the school provides the eggs,pork from rare breed varieties and beef from their own herd amongst other things.

Pinga