• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weather and appetite

Fat Guy

My usual voracious appetite goes to hell in a handbasket when the weather's too hot, although I can always manage to tackle really good gazpacho, hot 'n' spicy anything (Thai, Mexican), dead-ripe tomatoes (and adornments), ice cream, a glass of decent rose, and an icy G & T.

Sex? Not without air conditioning, which we don't have. Socrates might as well drink his hemlock . . . :wink:

Natsu-bate, here. It was 33 C.

I set up a nice lunch for myself and a friend. Tabletop grill: sliced pork (brined, then marinated in gojuchang, garlic, tonkatsu), asparagus, shitake, scallions. Zaru-udon. Cold Sapparo.

I ate about three hashis of udon, four pieces of pork, a scallion. Couldn't even fish the beer.

So tomorrow I'll braise the pork and such in the beer and see how that goes...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I spent a large part of the day with a fussy 18month old, and its not very often I am flumoxxed by a child's needs to

the point that I can't make them happy...other than my 18 year old daughter, whom I have given up on! :laugh:

anyway, lunch was fussy, nap was fussy, books and lap time were fussy, bath was a slight reprieve, then back to fussy...finally, I set him up in the high chair with a can of chilled fruit cocktail dumped into the tray..grapes removed, of course. He spent an enthusiastic hour sucking on soft sweetened peaches, unnaturally red cherry pieces, and chunks of mushy pear. It was the only truely content hour of his day! And there was no objection when I doused him with little bucket to get the nectar from his hair!

So, 18 month old Ty and I agree...it was to hot to eat anything but some cool, sweet fruit!

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I find in the summer that I crave only foods with a high water content, so I end up eating a lot of salads and fruit and that kind of thing. Personally, I think ice cream is way too... ugh, rich for summer so I tend not to eat that. Sorbets are good, though. Every now and again I get a craving for protein, which I will usually consume in the form of a grilled steak or piece of fish.

When I first moved to Columbus proper, it took three days and it was over 100F every one of those days. The place I moved into had no air conditioning and, really, very little insulation, so it was like living in a brick oven. I spent a lot of time sitting under the tree out back and I ate nothing but Popsicles and cold plums for a couple of weeks. Not such a bad thing, really. I think it's too bad A/C takes away some of the enjoyability of seasonal eating. (And this from someone who, aside from the produce, loathes summer.)

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast.

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold.

Jennie

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast.

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold.

Wow, so many obsolete song lyrics that Paul and Tommy and Jon and hollywood and EVERYONE knows on first glance..finally, I can recognize something :smile: WCW, from NJ, no less!

My appetites for all things disappear in hot weather. Sometimes I wonder if it's because i just do less in hot weather (no air conditioning), so doing less= less energy expended=less appetite.

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten

the plums

that were in

the icebox

and which

you were probably

saving

for breakfast.

Forgive me

they were delicious

so sweet

and so cold.

finally, I can recognize something :smile: WCW, from NJ, no less!

Props to Willy C Willy. Word.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I am baking potatoes.

Right. At what my time stamp shows as 9:32 pm.

I find that when it is very hot or when I am exhausted I have no appetite. I like summer meals of just sliced beautiful tomatoes and fresh mozzarella drizzled with good olive oil accompanied by a glass of rose.

Thats exactly what I had this evening and last. Just that was perfectly satisfying, too.

I tis actually a pefectly comfortable 24 C in Yokohama at this moment!

The windows are open a soft breeze is coming through........ :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I believe most people eat less in the warm weather. It is nature's way of making sure you look better in your swimsuit and thus, ensures survival of the species. :laugh:

However, when I'm at the beach I am always STARVING. Must be the salt air. Or the knowledge that there is a good supply of steamed shrimp nearby. :rolleyes:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

I can't function at all in hot weather. Eating is the least of it-cooking, sleeping, exercising, working, gardening-I don't want to do anything. We are in the midst of one of our Bay Area heat waves-fortunately, they usually only last three days, and we only get two or three a year. As I said in my bio, I don't know how you people stand this heat all summer long. I guess you get used to it after a while.

As I said in my bio, I don't know how you people stand this heat all summer long. I guess you get used to it after a while.

I love it! I just turned my a/c on last night for the first time and it's been 95 the past 2 days. I don't even mind the humidity. Wake up on a warm, humid day - it feels just like the beach. I was raised in the suburbs of Chicago and on the day I left for good the temperature with wind-chill was

-50 F. That was it for me. Sometimes now, I think maybe even NC is too cold for me! Gotta move further South...maybe Charleston. :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

34 C again today. A big storm is coming in by evening follwed by more moderate temperatures.

I am with you, Joler. I was also raised in the Chi burbs--Woodridge and Naperville, and left for SIU as soon as I graduated.

Married a guy who dragged me kicking and screaming to some pretty cold places--high desert of Utah, and most recently, way (WAY) northern Minnesota. AAARGGHH--no wonder those Scandahoovians are so dour. Snow and freezing temps start in late September, and don't let up til May, and it is dark, dark, dark all winter. Headlights on the way to work, and headlights on the way home.

After 5 years in Ely, I escaped :biggrin: (the marriage and Ely) and settled in Missouri, where the snow knows when to go away--about 24 hours after it falls, usually.

Summer foods--green salads, tomatoes, watermelons. Sometimes if it is just too hot to cook and eat, salsa and chips. Lots of grilling outside--seems silly to heat up a kitchen that I am paying to cool off.

And the very instant the humidity drops and the temp falls to 70--usually in mid September--out come the bread pans and the stew pots.

sparrowgrass

I can't function at all in hot weather. Eating is the least of it-cooking, sleeping, exercising, working, gardening-I don't want to do anything. We are in the midst of one of our Bay Area heat waves-fortunately, they usually only last three days, and we only get two or three a year. As I said in my bio, I don't know how you people stand this heat all summer long. I guess you get used to it after a while.

Word, marie-louise! And you know it's hot when even being here up under the redwoods provides little relief. Argghhh . . .

So . . .

How's your sexual appetite given this weather?  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Ha! Watch out, most of Chicagoland.

Watch out.

Seriously, it's the same as ever. Watch out. :wink:

Food-wise, I have less of an appetite in the summer. My apartment is not air conditioned, and the thought of approaching the stove is enough to drain me of the last energies I have left.

This kind of weather, I go in for tapas, finger-foods, spicy things . . . beer, salads, etc. Beer.

But curiously, as joler says, when I'm at the beach, I'm starved.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I love WCW and especially that poem. Most of my friends make fun of him.

I have noticed that although I eat significantly less in the summer, I spend at least as much. Maybe even more. In the winter, it's all stews and soups and braises. Which allows for less expensive cuts and such. In the summer, quality is so much more important because the cooking methods disguise less. The types of vegetables are more expensive. I don't want any cheap, filling starch. Etc. Also, due to the general lack of energy, I eat out and via take away more frequently. More expense. Heat bad.

I'm not a restaurateur, but their takings go down when the weather is really hot doesn't it? OK this probably doesn't effect the guy with the Ben & Jerry's franchise, but generally?

I find in the summer (and we're talking UK 'summer') I start favouring salads and fruit, things with a high moisture content, like beer. All the meat tends to be spicy BBQ.

In the Autumn it's braises and casseroles. Winter it's roasts and stews. Then come February it's spicy, curry or similar. February is the depths of winter here so I guess I buck the trend on spicy food only in warm weather.

Springtime in the UK is when I get my passion for trying new ideas, last spring it was Afghan cuisine. I think that it's because there's so little locally produced food at this time of year, accept fish.

I love WCW and especially that poem.  Most of my friends make fun of him.

so much depends

upon

William

CW

glazed with rain

water

beside the white

chickens.