• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weather and appetite

Fat Guy

I spent too much time outside yesterday (the official version was 95F but WeatherBug's sensor nearest my home hit 100F) and haven't had much of an appetite since. Are other folks' appetites affected by heat in this manner?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This came up in another thread discussing Pho vs. Dim Sum in the Heartland board. I expressed the fact that I couldn't imagine eating a bowl of Pho today (it is well over 90 in DC today).

Not only that, but my appetite for all things cold or hot goes down in the Summer. The most successes I have had in starting diets have been in the warm months.

Not that some good bar-b-q or good tomatoes or other good summer foods don't get my stomach growling, but in general it does go down.

Isn't it amazing? I am sure that you were like me and cursing the incessant rain all summer and now, two days later we are displeased with the heat.

Bill Russell

Don't know how true this is, but I have heard that the worst time to attempt a diet is in the fall, because we are programmed to start storing fat for the winter.

It's also a lot more pleasant to eat plenty of fruit and veggies in the summer. The first of the local strawberries are starting to come in and asparagus hasn't yet run its course...

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I find that when it is very hot or when I am exhausted I have no appetite. I like summer meals of just sliced beautiful tomatoes and fresh mozzarella drizzled with good olive oil accompanied by a glass of rose.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

The heat really does a number on my appetite too. In this weather (nearly 100F) if I were to walk by a stand selling ice cold water, and a stand selling Luger's steak, I'd choose the water. In the fall/winter/spring, I'd eat the steak stand and use the water to wash my greasy paws.

Is there any evidence that eating hot (ie chiles) food helps deal with hot weather? Most countries where lots of chiles are eaten (Mexico, India, Thailand etc.) also have a hot climate.

Personally, I do think it helps and I eat more hot food in the summer.

Is there any evidence that eating hot (ie chiles) food helps deal with hot weather? Most countries where lots of chiles are eaten (Mexico, India, Thailand etc.) also have a hot climate.

Personally, I do think it helps and I eat more hot food in the summer.

Yup. Hot spicy stuff cools the body. Sweat production, etc.

I find that if I hit the gym for 45 minutes of hard cardio in the late afternoon, then I have no appetite at all for the rest of the day. I usually just skip dinner entirely. The combination probably nets me 2000 calories.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

A variation on Mrs B,'s salad. I like Tomatoes, mozzarella. red onion, fresh basil, drizzled with vi

rgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a sliced clove of garlic, a provencal rosé and a great bread..heaven!

This horrible spring, constant rain flooded my plants to death and causes me to drink and eat more than I usually do.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

I notice that I eat much more spicy food in the summer than the winter. Its all about the chile and fruit in the summer... cajun, mexican, thai, etc. In the winter I put the hot sauces away, and go for the braises, mashed potatoes, pie...

The temperature is in the 90's and there's a code red alert in the D.C. area, and I find myself hardly hungry for anything. Instead of simply being happy about the probable weight loss, I am ambivalent, also feeling I'm missing out on opportunities for eating. I am down to two meals a day, but I really *live* for my three square meals a day.

Ya know . . .

Steven's original post for this thread didn't denote to which form of appetite he was referring.

So . . .

How's your sexual appetite given this weather?  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I would have to say that the various levels of undress one sees in this type of weather more than makes up for any discomfort caused by the heat.

But that discussion might be more appropriate for another website.

Bill Russell

the Japanese actually have a word for this no appetite in hot weather syndrome,

it is called 夏バテ natsu-bate

doesn't seem to affect me however.... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I notice that I eat much more spicy food in the summer than the winter. Its all about the chile and fruit in the summer... cajun, mexican, thai, etc. In the winter I put the hot sauces away, and go for the braises, mashed potatoes, pie...

Mmmmm... Time for Larb. firesmile.gif

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Ya know . . .

Steven's original post for this thread didn't denote to which form of appetite he was referring.

So . . .

How's your sexual appetite given this weather?  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

food - no

champagne and sex - oh, yeah :shock:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

"I would have to say that the various levels of undress one sees in this type of weather more than makes up for any discomfort caused by the heat."

And some of it puts you off sex as well as food.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"