• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar near Nectar?

sara

Quick--Anyone know of a bar somewhere very near the GW metro and Nectar where I can meet someone for one drink before dinner? Doesn't have to have good food--convenience is key here. Thanks.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

If I was going to Nectar, I would go to Citronelle to have a drink. Within walking distance (a bit far) or a short cab ride. Mark does a killer job with his by the glass program. A little closer Marcel's would suit too, great Belgian beer selection. Everything else to my knowledge is GW bars (see frat boys). Just my opinion.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Frat-free. I like that. Micheal Flynn at Kinkead's also does a great job with his list, but haven't been there recently for a glass.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Hit the elegant lobby bar at the Watergate Hotel. Also close is the Library bar at the Melrose Hotel on Pennsylvania Ave, across the street from Marcels. Circle Bistro bar at One Washington Circle Hotel is comfy, too. All within 2 or 3 blocks of Nectar.

Mark

• 1 month later...
I realize this might be a little late... but why not go to the bar at Nectar?

Because the bar at Nectar has only 6 seats. I remember this hotel from years ago when it was called the Intrigue. Small, intimate bar. What could be cooler? The bar at Marcel's is lots of fun, also. Ask for Ramon or Adnan. Tell them Mark sent you. :wub:

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark