• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The influence of pacific rim cuisine

Hello Jancis,

First of all, I would like to say I really enjoy all of your books especially your Oxford Companion to North America. My question is related to the major influx of pacific rim techniques. Do you feel winemakers here in the states may begin more production of high acid friendly wines mimicking the gruners of austria or the dry rieslings of germany? Its my belief that since nearly 23% of the worlds population exists in Asia, we may need to accomodate the needs of these culinary practices. Winemaking as we know is not a common practice in asia, however I feel there is a growing need to pair well with the complexities of asian gastronomy, and what is currently available to us is not as adequate as say french cuisine. Thank you very much for your involvement in egullet.

Omar

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

I hope you're right. Though I suppose that many Asian dishes, particularly those with quite a bit of spice, are complemented just as much by a little bit of residual sugar as by high acidity.

I'm not sure how easy it would be for the mainstream California wine industry suddenly to start to make high acid wines (they certainly couldn't do it and retain their obsession with phenolic ripeness!) but perhaps this change in our eating habits may end up shedding a more forgiving light on American wines from cooler wine regions which naturally produce high-acid wines. I'm thinking particularly here of upper New York state where some really fine whites are produced, some of them, funnily enough, Rieslings.