• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thomas Keller's "Per Se" Pre-Opening Discussion

stefanyb

My wife, Son, and I have been trying for close to three hours now, and for like a ten minute time frame a recording said the line was out of service and its been busy for the rest.

I've ran two cell phones dead and am about to drop over myself but I cant quit now. :blink::wacko:

RR

Robert R

Four and half bitchen hours of beep,beep beep, finely paid off.

Got one for early March!! :biggrin:

Poor women must have thought I was crazy as I told her I'll take any day,week,month or century.

I'll have a long report and photos!

RR

Robert R

I got 7:30PM in March on a Tuesday evening. It took awhile to get through. I'm excited.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

After spending most of the day thinking I wouldn't bother, I was inspired by these reports and decided I'd dial once and, if I didn't get through, I'd wait a couple of months to try again. I got through on the first try, the recorded voice referred me to a Web site that doesn't seem to exist (www.perseny.com), and a very nice lady answered. I asked for any time after March 10 and she offered March 11. So, that was easy.

I fully expected them to ask for a credit card guarantee, but they didn't. They just asked for a phone number and asked that I call 2 days beforehand to confirm (they give you a special number for this). She also said they request that men wear jackets and that they don't allow jeans, tee-shirts, or tennis shoes.

Looking forward to all your meal reports.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

7:30 on March 7...OH BOY OH BOY!!

Only took me about 10 minutes to get through and 5 minutes on hold. As everyone else said, they were extremely polite and helpful on the phone.

Well, I hope those of you going early post your impressions...

Ant

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Called about an hour ago, and they had all sorts of availability--esp. at lunch. I asked for Saturday Lunch at 12:00, and she gave me a 12:15 on Saturday the 21st. I asked "of March?" and she replied, "No, THIS month."

It was just too easy...

..Now I hafta go buy plane tickets. :biggrin:

call now, everyone! you'll get through in a second. i reserved a table for lunch, for 2, on Feb 21st. I'm auctioning it off to a nice eGullet couple looking for a romantic lunch, at 11:30 am. My fee will be $40, or you can just tell us about your meal after you go :smile:. PM me if you want this reservation...

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Most primetime restaurants that serve lunch only serve it on weekdays, right? So why does Per Se only serve lunch F-Su?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

call now, everyone! you'll get through in a second. i reserved a table for lunch, for 2, on Feb 21st. I'm auctioning it off to a nice eGullet couple looking for a romantic lunch, at 11:30 am. My fee will be $40, or you can just tell us about your meal after you go :smile:. PM me if you want this reservation...

You're kidding, right?

You're kidding, right?

I'm sorry. My message is not clear. I do have a reservation that I am offering anyone who would like it. Feb 21, Saturday, 11:30 am, a very early lunch. PM me if you want it.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Anybody know how far ahead they're booking right now? Planning a visit to NYC at the end of April and wouldn't mind stopping by for lunch on, say, Saturday, May 1.

The last meal we had at French Laundry, for dinner in May, was spectacular on every front. I still have hallucinations about some of those dishes.

In my best Homer Simpson voice: "Mmmmm, sauteed filet of Gold Coast pompano amandine with haricots verts, riso, preserved lemon zest and an orange marmalade reduction."

"Mmmmmm, Keller's 'Caesar salad' of sweet buttter poached Maine lobster with roasted hearts of Romaine lettuce, foncit of sweet garlic, parmesean crutons and bottarga emulsion."

"Mmmmmm, Elysian Fields Farm selle d'aneau roti entier with braised Jacobsen's

Farm black kale, confit of yukon gold potatoes and spring garlic duxelles."

Can't wait for them to reopen!

Classic moment, on our way out of the restaurant: We were wandering through the courtyard, looking through the windows into the kitchen, when we noticed a guy hand-drying the Riedel stems - and inspecting each of them below a light. One of our friends says: "Is that Thomas Keller?!??" Indeed, it was. What a freak of a perfectionist. No wonder that place hits such high marks.