• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Pudding

Varmint

Looks great Mike, and there is no reason not to make it an everyday kind of thing. Banana's are cheap.

Maybe a shallower dish or a couple more egg whites to bring the meringue up higher so it is more exposed to the browning elements in the oven? It is hard to get too much merinque.

:biggrin:

I haven't tried the great rum/banana pudding experiment, yet...

Edited by annecros (log)

I have a recipe for bp that when we had potlucks at work we would take up a collection for the bp girl to make to be sure to make for us. I mean we would freaking look for reasons to have a pot luck so we could get some. But I can't find it. hmmm, I'll keep looking though.

No idea why my merenge refused to brown anything other than the tiny peaks but this was a very very good banana pudding.  Our children we very happy with us!

The is not every day eating!  :raz:

gallery_39050_2669_34866.jpg

-Mike

Brulee torch? But, then again, who cares? Sure looks good enough to eat from here! :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No idea why my merenge refused to brown anything other than the tiny peaks but this was a very very good banana pudding.  Our children we very happy with us!

Sorry if I missed it, but which recipe did you try?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Paula Dean makes one with chessman cookies..I think that might be a fairly good trade off especially if I sprinkle w/rum. I might need a slightly heftier cookie to take on the liquid. Otherwise, I don't remember the rest of her take on them...doesn't matter. i don't mind stealing ideas here and there if it's for the greater good.

Paula Dean makes one with chessman cookies..I think that might be a fairly good trade off especially if I sprinkle w/rum. I might need a slightly heftier cookie to take on the liquid. Otherwise, I don't remember the rest of her take on them...doesn't matter. i don't mind stealing ideas here and there if it's for the greater good.

Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding" is quite good though bordering on being quite Sandra Lee-ish.

As long as you're spinning the dish (borrowing the best elements from the original classic), now I'm wondering if you could do something like a banana pudding tiramisu, using rum or banana liqueur perhaps.

The permutations are endless...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding" is quite good though bordering on being quite Sandra Lee-ish.

As long as you're spinning the dish (borrowing the best elements from the original classic), now I'm wondering if you could do something like a banana pudding tiramisu, using rum or banana liqueur perhaps.

The permutations are endless...

Wow, tiramisu was what I was thinking with the coconut milk (or cream of coconut) and rum permutation I was considering.

Crunch up the cookies and make them drunk. Nothing wrong with that.

I can live without banana pudding. First pimento cheese and now banana pudding.

:biggrin:

Fine with me. That leaves more for the rest of us! :smile:

I make banana pudding (multiple pans) for our Memorial Day Pig Pickin' every year. In trying to find the best recipe I stumbled upon thickening with flour and a bit of cornstarch and, of course, lots of egg yolks. The combination of the two thickeners really works well with the cornstarch contributing a silkiness that's really nice and the flour maintaining the thickness after baking the meringue and chilling. The second exposure to heat seems to make the custard watery if using only cornstarch.

I know this is not traditionally southern, but I also use vanilla beans instead of extract.

The second exposure to heat seems to make the custard watery if using only cornstarch.

Since we made a big batch it went in and out of the fridge more than a few times before last licks. I did notice this happening near the end. Nice little tweek thanks.

Son #2 is 3 yrs old and when our backs were turned he got into the fridge with a big open paw and went to town on the pudding. Reminded me of Bill Cosby's son "but I was getting a cookie for you."

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

The second exposure to heat seems to make the custard watery if using only cornstarch.

Since we made a big batch it went in and out of the fridge more than a few times before last licks. I did notice this happening near the end. Nice little tweek thanks.

Son #2 is 3 yrs old and when our backs were turned he got into the fridge with a big open paw and went to town on the pudding. Reminded me of Bill Cosby's son "but I was getting a cookie for you."

-Mike

That being the case, I'd eschew the use of rum in the pudding, unless you NEED to knock him out... :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't know why, but I keep wondering as I read this thread, how I could incorporate a wee bit o rum in there??

You should just be able to stir in a few spoonfuls of rum when the pudding comes off the heat, just like adding vanilla at the end. As long as you don't add too much, it shouldn't change the texture of the pudding.

• 3 months later...
I like to use a bit of bourbon in my banana pudding - I spritz it on the vanilla wafers  - gets them a boozy head start on melting in to the pudding.

Oh, you sneaky bird! Bananas Foster Brooks. :raz:

That sounds better than "Redneck Triffle" which is how I normally refer to it.

• 3 years later...

Won't get around to making banana pudding till the weekend after this (need bananas), but I had to post. This thread has just made my day. Banana pudding came up at dinner last night, so I went tooling around this morning for a recipe. Eat your books: nothing. Google: not much. eG: perfect, even before the bonus of the laugh-out-loud factor.