• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any recs for Korean BBQ in Toronto?

sacre_bleu

Looking for a place to take a few guys for dinner. Prefer authentic Korean, not Japanese mimicking Korean. I want to grill my bulgoki over a flame, shoot soju and be stunned by the variety of kimchi and other panchan.

Can you help with a name of a place?

hey there.

korea house is probably the best one i can think of for good, authentic korean bbq. they've also usually got at least 2-3 different kinds of soju. it's right at bloor and manning (halfway between bathurst and christie), on the north side of bloor. korean village restaurant is also pretty decent.

cheers,

tuqueboy

there's a new place that opened up on queen west called korea grill house.

they have the table top grilling and an all you can eat menu. i don't know how AUTHENTIC you'll find it per se...but the value can't be beat and it's boisterous and fun.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a great place in Scarborough. It's definitely worth the drive.

Lotte Korean BBQ

4810 Sheppard Ave. E.

They also have grill-it-yourself and all you can eat menu. They include soup, rice and an array of korean veggie apps including tofu, pickled cabbage and bean sprouts.

The participatory element is a welcomed edition to the dining experience (if you're up for it).

• 3 months later...

hi,

by far, the best restaurant in Toronto for Korean bbq is Seoul House. it's a little out of the way, at Dufferin and Orfus (close to Yorkdale mall), but WELL worth the trip.

lots of fresh banchan, great kimchee, but most importantly authentic korean bbq. you grill it yourself on a charcoal grill, it comes with sam (green or red leaf lettuce, fresh slivers of garlic and spicy soybean paste), dwenjang chigae (soybean/miso stew, made with pork or beef, seafood and veggies) and rice.

you may like bulgogi but their galbi is the best.

have fun!

s