• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weird stuff in Gourmet magazine

fresco

I am thrilled that under Reichl's leadership the magazine is developing a cutting edge.

essential to any publication that deals with cooking.

:biggrin:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

• 2 years later...

In this thread and this one, I've noticed that many of you think poorly of Gourmet under Ruth Reichl. But aside from the occasional silly cover, I'm not clear exactly why. In light of the upcoming eG Spotlight Conversation with Mrs. Reichl, perhaps we can begin to discuss our specific concerns about Gourmet here, and bring up with her some of the issues that arise.

How has Gourmet changed since she took over? Which aspects do you like and which do you dislike? Do you like Mrs. Reichl's choice of writers? Article subjects?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I take them all--IMHO--

Good--Saveur, Fine Cooking, Cuisine, Bon Appetit

OK--Cooks Illustrated

Don't know why I still take-- Gourmet, Food and Wine

(I miss William Gary RIP--past editor at BA and a witty guy)

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I take them all--IMHO--

OK--Cooks Illustrated

Interesting, you prefer Bon Appetit to Gourmet. What does Bon Appetit provide for you that Gourmet does not? What about Gourmet, and Food & Wine for that matter, turns you off?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

In this thread and this one, I've noticed that many of you think poorly of Gourmet under Ruth Reichl. But aside from the occasional silly cover, I'm not clear exactly why. In light of the upcoming eG Spotlight Conversation with Mrs. Reichl, perhaps we can begin to discuss our specific concerns about Gourmet here, and bring up with her some of the issues that arise.

How has Gourmet changed since she took over? Which aspects do you like and which do you dislike? Do you like Mrs. Reichl's choice of writers? Article subjects?

On its cover the "old" Gourmet used to feature impossibly pretentious dishes photographed against the background of some snooty resort in Bermuda or Santa Barbara, whereas Ms. Reichl's Gourmet outraged a lot of readers with a photo of a birthday cake made out of cupcakes...I like the slightly subversive, loopy quality that she has brought to the magazine--it reflects her breathy, confessional style. Case in point being miso-rubbed turkey for Thanksgiving this year, styled in a rich hippie abode with lots of Nakashima furniture and disheveled guests dressed in distressed cashmere.

I take them all--IMHO--

OK--Cooks Illustrated

Interesting, you prefer Bon Appetit to Gourmet. What does Bon Appetit provide for you that Gourmet does not? What about Gourmet, and Food & Wine for that matter, turns you off?

i had my first subscription to gourmet when i was 19 -- that would have been in 1971. never had i seen a thing so sophisticated!

anyway: today's gourmet: love the photography (not so much the covers but the inside articles - pigs, vegetables, italy -- everything is gorgeous and yet true); use the recipes regularly. hate the insidious advertorials (pull 'em out and chuck 'em when i can); truly dislike the themes (o the music issue -- give me a break).

I take them all--IMHO--

OK--Cooks Illustrated

BA has more usuable recipes. I get very few from Gourmet---it's almost a Saveur wannabe but the standard is too high. Food and Wine's best recipes are in the ads and I feel like they and Gourmet are living on reputation. Don't get me wrong BA has slipped too since Wm. J. Garry died. Too many ads in all three. Fine Cooking and Cuisine are wll rounded.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.