• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking Back

Given your career, I'm sure you've had the opportunity to taste a number of truly great wines. If you were to get "nostalgic" and do a retrospective evaluation of your experiences, which wines stand out as truly memorable - and why?

fanatic...

This will have to be written intuitively rather than reflectively. I think I will always remember the bottom of a a particular magnum of Cheval Blanc 47 left for me at the end of a v OTT dinner in Burgundy in Sep 94 as I flew in from London. It just seemed heavenly - and better than any other example of this wine I have been lucky enough to taste.

Then there was the 1811 of the array of Yquems opened by Hardy Rodenstock at an extraordinary event over a week in Sep ?99? in Munich - quite amazingly like raspberry creme brulee.

But there was also a bottle of regular, pre-transformation Charles Heidsieck NV that was nothing special as a wine but was drunk lying in tropical vegetation looking up at the southern sky on an island off Tahiti in 1988 that tasted pretty damned wonderful. ...