• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Provisions II

Last night the best steak in Los Angeles was at our house. We ate it with joy. It came from Gus's Meats, 949 S. Ogden, (323) 937-4622. These were pound and a half bone-in prime rib eyes. Delicious. You can't just drive up and get them, you have to call Harvey in the morning (before 10 if you want anything other than pork) and place your order. He doesn't cut on Saturday and is only open then from 7:00-10:00 for pickups. You drive up in the alley of what is mostly a residential neighborhood and go to the back door to see Harvey. It's almost like a speakeasy or something. Harvey wraps them in plastic and paper and generally takes care with his steaks. When I unwrapped them, I thought there was a lot of fat left on the meat. But, when I grilled them, they came out great. So pink and dense on the inside. Instead of resenting the fat, I came to enjoy carefully slicing away at it to reveal jewels of red meat. And, yes, I ate some fat as well. The rib eyes were about $9.75 a pound and worth every penny and then some.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Harvey is an LA treasure! Prime aged beef sold at wholesale to the public, cut fresh that day. Not to mention he is a character. On one trip to Harvey's Guss meats I was also on way to pay phone bill with cash (Harvey likes cash) as well. I dropped my phone bill with $140 cash inside on the floor when I left. I get home that night to a phone call ( he took number off bill) from H. saying " This is not the phone company and if you want to pay your phone bill I suggest you take it to them not me." I went back next day to retrive. We need more Harveys and less........( Fill in your least favorite here)

D

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

what neighborhood is this?

I'm not sure what name goes with this neighborhood. It's South of Hancock Park and East of Carthay Circle, FWIW. Worth the drive but call first.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.