• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arun's

guajolote

My wife and I are going to Arun's in 1.5 weeks. I've heard lots of good stuff and lots of bad stuff (overpriced, boring food, poor service). What do the egluttons think?

Also, wine recommendations would be appreciated.

For White, I was thinking about:

1998 Pinot Gris 'Clos Windsbuhl,' Zind-Humbrecht

1998 Clos St. Catherine, Domaine des Baumard

1998 Scheurebe Spätlese 'Haardter Mandelring,' Müller-Catoir

For red

1998 Barbera d' Asti DOC Pomorosso, Coppo

1994 Monticello Gran Reserva Rioja, Bodegas

I wish they listed prices

:smile:

As Thai goes, I'd reach first for the Pinot Gris among the whites; the reds would be a toss-up for me, depending on the precise menu.

I've never been to Arun's. The buzz I hear is that when they're good (as regards food and service), they're among the best in town, and if you catch 'em on an off night it can be notably mediocre. Luck of the draw, apparently, and I really don't know how to help load your cards.

Let us know!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Like Lady T, I have read raves, but the only thing I have ever heard when with someone face-to-face is, "eh," complete with a shrug of the shouders.

May the Wheel of Fortune smile upon you. May your meal be far better than your experience at Bistro 110, and may a 70-piece quartet accompany your meal with celestial bliss. :biggrin:

do they stilll (or did they ever) offer only a fixed menu? i was there a few years back, and thought it was very good (the animals made from carrots were particularly impressive). but mrs. tommy returned some time later and said that the place had taken a turn and the menu had changed to some sort of fixed deal (although it was a large group, so we never got clarification as to whether this was a new policy or special for that particular meal).

do they stilll (or did they ever) offer only a fixed menu?  i was there a few years back, and thought it was very good (the animals made from carrots were particularly impressive).  but mrs. tommy returned some time later and said that the place had taken a turn and the menu had changed to some sort of fixed deal (although it was a large group, so we never got clarification as to whether this was a new policy or special for that particular meal).

It's a fixed meal, like charlie trotter's. According to friends, they ask you when you get there is this your first time, fifth time, etc.. What you get is based on how many times you've been there. If someone told me "The third time I was there I had some awesome larb" I would ask to have that dish.

i find it curious that they base what to give you on how many times you've been there. is that to ensure no overlap? in other words, the 3rd visit is x, y, and z, and the 4th visit is always a, b, and c?

this sounds exceedingly stupid. if they're making all of the dishes on any given night, why not just let people choose. and beyond that, why not just offer a regular menu. that arun boy he sure is wacky.

that arun boy he sure is wacky.

I triple-dog-dare ya to come here and find out.

Guajolote - for kicks, tell him it's your third time and see what happens. Then, on your second visit, you can tell them it's your first visit. I mean, if Arun is as touched as Tommy suggests, he won't know.

1998 Barbera d' Asti DOC Pomorosso, Coppo

As a great lover of the wines produced by the Barbera grape. I would never dream to match it with the food at Arun's. Too much acid.

I think with the food there (which I like very much) you have to go for wines with maximum fruit, minimum tannin and a bit of residual sugar does not hurt either.

My top picks would be:

German riesling - kabinett or spatlese

Alsatian whites

Beaujolais (perhaps the best red match)

light pinot noir

This is not a Trotter's or Trio like experience, but it is damn interesting food and certainly among my top 10 mid-west restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner at Arun's Saturday night w/ my lovely wife. It was our first time out together alone in 8 months.

Overall, I really liked the dinner. I especially like the location of the restaurant. For those of you not familiar w/ Chicago, Arun's is in Albany Park, a northwest side neighborhood full of immigrants. Driving south on Kedzie we passed many Thai, Korean, Arab, Persian, and Mexican restaurants and groceries. I made a couple of mental notes about places I need to shop.

We started w/ a bottle of NV Brut Rosé,' Grand Cru ', H. Billiot Fils.

I don't have a copy of the menu, the waiter said he'll email it to me. If I get it I'll post it later. They ask you when you order how spicy you like it. I ordered hot and my wife ordered medium.

Appetizers:

Salmon/Crab cake w/ scallop on top. Avacado sauce

Walleye pike on chinese brocolli w/ Rhubabarb sauce

Green papaya salad w/ Chiles

Sticky rice pyramid wrapped in banana leaf stuffed with pork and shrimp

Thai crepe w tofu, shrimp, and vegetable filling.

One more I can't remember

With the main courses we had a bottle of 2000 Perrin Gigondas. Not an ideal match, but ordered it to please my wife. Great wine, I'm going to try to track some down. The serve all of the main courses family style, "Like you would get in Thailand" our waiter said. I didn't get many details on these dishes because they all came at once.

Lobster and prawn with sour/hot sauce

Sea Bass

Duckbreat Curry

Braised beef Mussaman Curry (I think this was beef cheek)

These were served with sticky rice

Dessert:

A sliced up mango

Lychee sorbet w/ jellies.

The dishes were some of the most beautiful I've every seen, especially the carved vegetable garnishes.

There was not one thing I didn't like. My favorites were the incendiary walleye and the duck curry. My wife liked the rice pyramid and the crepe. Service was very good, but kind of rushed. We were out the door in less than 2.5 hours. Relecting on the way home, I thought that the meal was overpriced. I would also have liked to have a special wine flight that matched certain dishes with specific wines. I'm glad we went because this restaurant is a Chicago institution, but I probably wouldn't go back.

• 1 year later...

I never thought Vettel had it in him, but he docked Arun's one star today, reducing his rating to 3. From today's Tribune

In Chicago's dynamic and competitive dining scene, a restaurant can fall behind simply by standing still.

That, I fear, is what is happening to Arun's.

For most of its 20-year history, Arun's has been the consensus, no-doubt-about-it, No. 1 Thai restaurant in the city, the region and arguably the country. The last time I reviewed Arun's (May 1996), I rated it four stars. Today, I'm reducing that rating to three stars.

Any thoughts? I haven't been to Arun's in a couple years, but has anyone else noticed the slip?

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

It has been about two years since my one and only visit to Arun's. My impression then ws that it was way overpriced and overhyped. While the food wasn't bad, it certainly wsan't anything special. Unfortunately, it seems that my visit may not have been an isolated instance. As for the best Thai food in the US -not even close. Sripraphai in NYC, for one, is miles better and much cheaper to boot.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It has been about two years since my one and only visit to Arun's. My impression then ws that it was way overpriced and overhyped. While the food wasn't bad, it certainly wsan't anything special. Unfortunately, it seems that my visit may not have been an isolated instance. As for the best Thai food in the US -not even close. Sripraphai in NYC, for one, is miles better and much cheaper to boot.

I agree, although I've also been Sripraphai and I'd say that there are several places in Chicago I like more...it's just that Arun's isn't one of them.

I'd actually say that Chicago is one of the best cities in the country for Thai food at the moment (TAC Quick, Sticky Rice, Spoon, Thai Avenue, etc). It's a shame that Arun's continues to get all the attention.

There may certainly be better Thai restaurants in the country than Sripraphai. I just used that as an example of at least one Thai restaurant that is well known that I have been to that I thought was much better than Arun's in a number of ways. I would not be at all surprised if there were better Thai restaurants than Arun's in Chicago. I would be surprised if there were not.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I wonder if the reduced rating reflects the possibility that Arun may have spread himself a bit too thin. There are frequent press mentions about his numerous projects such as Le Lan (which had a critically-rocky beginning) and the soon-to-bow Shanghai Club. Additionally, he's consulted on a couple of KDK Group's menus such as Opera and Red Light, although my understanding is that he's really no longer involved in the KDK projects. Still, that's a lot of "side" projects and there are only so many hours in the day . . .

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

Oy veh.. I havent read the Aruns post in awhile and am going here tonight to celebrate my birthday... Should i change my reservation.. I too am a big sri fan and wanted the ultimate thai experience.. Where should i go instead

Hey! Happy birthday!

I think that if you've never been, you should go to Arun's.

But, if you're seriously interested in going somewhere else, please check out this site:

Silapaahaan.com

which is run by Erik M., a local authority on the Chicago Thai food scene. I think you'll find everything you need there to make a well-informed decision.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hey!  Happy birthday!

I think that if you've never been, you should go to Arun's.

But, if you're seriously interested in going somewhere else, please check out this site:

Silapaahaan.com

which is run by Erik M., a local authority on the Chicago Thai food scene.  I think you'll find everything you need there to make a well-informed decision.

=R=

For a very opulent (and probably very pleasant) meal, by all means go to Arun's. I went there a while ago and enjoyed the experience, although none of the food really wow-ed me TOO much.

For the "ultimate thai experience" (in Chicago, anyway) you should certainly print out some of Erik M's thai menus and go to TAC, Spoon, Thai Avenue or Sticky Rice. At all of these places, they are (in my experience) more then happy to accomadate Farangs who wish to order from the Thai menus.

All of these 4 places listed are very cheap - maybe if you are in town for a while, it would be fun to do Arun's and one (or more?) of the places listed above.

So I went to Arun's tonight.. Before I go into my review with pictures I just wanted to stop anyone who might think about going there.. The place absolutely sucks.. Its expensive, the staff is horrible, seating the only four tables in a multiroomed restaurant in a square in the most narrow section.. Unfortunately I was able to hear and see all that took place in tiny alloted space so I saw all the meals were identical.. It wasn't even the choice of dishes but the meat and seafood were poorly cooked... This place is shamefull...

So I went to Arun's tonight.. Before  I go into my review with pictures I just wanted to stop anyone who might think about going there.. The place absolutely sucks..  Its expensive, the staff is horrible, seating the only four tables in a multiroomed restaurant in a square in the most narrow section.. Unfortunately I was able to hear and see all that took place in tiny alloted space so I saw all the meals were identical..  It wasn't even the choice of dishes but the meat and seafood were poorly cooked... This place is shamefull...

Sorry to hear it. Like I said, my meal there (this was about 3 years ago) was pleasant but pretty uninteresting.

As has been discussed upthread, there is so much good (and cheap!) thai food in Chicago, it's really a shame that Arun's gets all of the attention from out of town visitors. Maybe a trip to TAC or Spoon is in order to take that nasty taste away?

Thank you.. My girl flew in to celebrate my birthday which is really today...Tonight is most likely our last night in Chicago and am going to Alinea... Next trip in September I will definately take your suggestions.. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I've been to Arun's thrice, but the last time was in 2002, and the food had been a little bit more unimpressive with each successive visit. The third time, there weren't many people in the joint and our service was incredibly rushed. Not that I ever expect good service in a Thai restaurant on any scale, but that night it was very bad. I've had no plans to go back since.

But I will add that the wine list was very well chosen and very well priced.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

To date, Arun's remains the only truly disappointing meal I have ever had in Chicago. Daniel, I am sure you will have better luck at Alinea. I am looking forward to your post.

Twitter - @docsconz

So we arrived for our 8 o clock reservation.. We are met with indifference by a girl wearing jeans and messy shirt.. We are walked through an empty restaurant and seated in a narrow section directly next to another table.. Odd but, i was thinking the restaurant will fill up shortly.. I later find out that I was wrong, only two more tables arrive that evening and they were seated directly on top of us..

The way the restaurant works is you pay 85 dollars and then you are then in the chefs hands.. Your allergies are the only thing taken into consideration..

Restaurant from the outside:

gallery_15057_1466_586427.jpg

First course:

A fried shish kabob with a bittergreen salad.. Zuchini, potato, squash, and a fish cake.. The fish cake was extremely small, but excellent.. I really like the amount of green beans they put in the cake.. Very salty.. One of the better fish cakes I have had.. Would have preferred several of them and not have missed the fried veggi stick..

gallery_15057_1466_175026.jpg

Course 2: Toasted coconut with two tiny specks of thai chilis served on a beetlenut leaf accompanied by a coconut soy sauce chutney.. This was really good.. Loved the texture of the toasted coconut, as well as the contrast of the two coconut flavors and the heat of the peppers.. Plus I always think its fun when you interact with the food..

gallery_15057_1466_864025.jpg

Course 3: Shrimp Dumpling in Sweet and Sour Sauce.. Hmm, definately think I had one of these somewhere before.. It wasnt the best dumpling I have had and it wasnt the worst.. I would say it would rank next to a decent chinese place. I have had better sweet and sour sauce out of a packets.

gallery_15057_1466_770513.jpg

Course 4 : Seabass with Rubarb..

I dont even think my camera liked this dish.. Seabass cooked ok, flavors werent too impressive., The rubarb was ok.. Had the taste and texture of dried apricots.. Dish was boring and very fogetable..

gallery_15057_1466_324055.jpg

Course 5: Pad Thai with two shrimp: I dont really order Pad Thai too much, but this was a good. Liked the freshness of the sprouts. Liked how all the parts came seperate and then you were to mix them. The shrimp was overcooked

gallery_15057_1466_295784.jpg

Course 6: Pork salad with Stick Rice.. Utterly useless dish.. The sticky rice was ok.. The pork salad was tasteless. We had asked for hot and not one dish was remotely spicey.. This dish was just so boring. At this point when you are sitting in a restaurant and wishing you were sitting home eating your girlfriends larb or thai food, its not a good sign.. No matter how great her thai food is..

But wow look at the tomato flower.. That certainly makes up for how mediocre the food is..

gallery_15057_1466_613438.jpg

Course 7 8 9 were served family style.. They were all brought out at once.. First was lobster and scallop with sweet and sour sauce.. This was horrific.. The scallop and lobster were cooked to death.. The meats were mushy and if I wasnt told what the meat was, I wouldnt have been able to tell what i was eating.. It was the worst prepared scallop or lobster I have ever eaten.. And i have been to Red Lobster, I have been to seafood buffets, I have been places where i shouldnt have ordered seafood.. This place was the out right worst..

gallery_15057_1466_704278.jpg

Course 8: Massaman Beef.. The beef was over stewed, I get better cuts from my butcher.. Liked the coconut swirl.. I would compare this dish to the Massaman being served at every mid level Thai restaurant from here to New York to Montanna..

gallery_15057_1466_170452.jpg

Course 9: Eggplant something or other.. Eh this too was boring.. Not too impressed with the carrot flower either.. They make the same flowers at the chinese buffet by my old house in Jersey.. I would much rather them concentrate on doing something interesting with the eggplant i was eating..

gallery_15057_1466_897298.jpg

Desserts

Very good

gallery_15057_1466_956529.jpg

Lychee sorbet great.. Strawberry sauce and some g-d awful cookie..

gallery_15057_1466_450926.jpg

To finish the very nicely brought me out a chocolate birthday cake with candle..

gallery_15057_1466_446485.jpg

I still feel cheated by this place.. Nothing warrants the price.. I could see if the ingrediants were expensive, or the meal was delicious or intricate.. But that was not the case. This place ranks among the less favorite dining experiences food wise I have ever had.. First because of the let down, second because it was so overpriced.. But luckily i was celebrating my birthday with my girlfriend so the night was perfect.. From the horrible seating to that hostpital cafeteria birthday cake.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

I do believe that your meal was even worse than mine. That is shameful for $85. It appears as if the place is resting on its reputation. Too many meals like this and that won't last either. The dishes are pretty though.

Twitter - @docsconz