• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Food

Hi Jancis, welcome to eGullet, and thanks so much for taking the time to participate.

My question for you is this: Given the current state of the wine industry, do you think most producers are actually cognizent of current trends in dining (the types of food we commonly eat today compared with 50 years ago) in attempting to match production techniques and flavors of varietals with the actual food people like to eat nowadays, (such as the amount of oak used) or is production and crafting of wine done in a complete vacuum? I'm beginning to think this is the latter.

Also, can you tell me which red and white varietals which you feel are the most food friendly, as most of us here on eGullet tend to drink wine with food and are not major "collectors".

Jason

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I feel pretty certain that most wine producers have given hardly any thought to how well their wines go with food. Evidence? That so many of them don't.

What motivates most producers, it seems to me, is standing out in a tasting line-up and gaining a high score (old territory this, I'm afraid).

Riesling (yes, yes!), many a Pinot Noir, lighter Cabernets (Cab Franc?) and typical Chianti can go particularly well with food, I think, i.e. no too much evident oak and alcohol.