• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who is to blame in the success of modern wines

Chère Madame Robinson,

Friends, knowing my little weakness for the evil bottle, ask me regularly to organise tastings. And I see it time and time again. They go “wow, this is as much fun as one can have with one’s clothes on” when tasting wine technology miracles such as Vitiano from Falesco and go “Ah yes interesting … Thanks for having brought this bottle along Jean” (my friends are too well educated to even hint at my daft taste) when tasting wines more classical wines such as those from Soianello, Ruffino Riserva Oro, etc.

Maybe 1 out of ten prefer the classically styled wines, and this in the country that basically “invented” Pomerol, Belgium! (that’s what they teach us in school). Why this success of the modern wines? My prime suspect is the trend towards spicy / flavorful food, where classical wines often drawn in the noise.

Guilty and charged? or are there accomplices? If so which ones?

Thanks in advance,

Jean Fisch

Not sure I fully understand this Q, or perhaps it's because I don't live in Belgium which I know has very special gastronomic mores.

I think 'modern' wines appeal because they jump out of the glass at you so their appeal is immediate BUT (see previous posting on wine and food), they can become tiresome after a glass - esp with food.

The 'culprit', if you like, is modern man and his search of instant gratification. OK and the odd modern woman too.