• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Way to Cook Bacon: Soft/Crisp? Fry/Bake/Microwave?

Wilfrid

Am I being obssessive about this?  [don't answer!]  [[re viva vs. bounty -- but the results on the tv commercial showed bounty as the clear winner!]]

Glenn, remember, Bounty was the quicker picker upper...but you're not looking for speed! :laugh:

I think that the cook and blot method works fine, and removes much of the grease..just get agressive, fold up a PT and really BLOT it, press down, and fold and unfold the PT for a clean surgface..

Have you tried those blue-tinted shop towels?  They're tough but I know you're looking for maximum absorbancy, and I'm not sure how they compare to a high-quality kitchen towel in that department.

It is my understanding based on some research done a while back, that blue shop towels are not food-safe and contain many contaminants that you would sooner not ingest.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I should've asked earlier, am I fooling myself by thinking that cooking bacon to a crisp in a microwave is not unhealthy? Not that I'm about to stop. Tomorrow I do the newspaper experiment, thanks for the tip.

I have a strange microwave bacon cooker plate that holds the slices upright so that all the grease drains down into the catch tray. The slices stand up between small plastic posts and always cook up crisp and almost dry while the trough on the bottom catches all the fat.

I have a strange microwave bacon cooker plate that holds the slices upright so that all the grease drains down into the catch tray.  The slices stand up between small plastic posts and always cook up crisp and almost dry while the trough on the bottom catches all the fat.

Is this it? How do you like it?

05100.jpg

I always assumed the point of bacon was the fat..... why let it drain away?

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put ink in the microwave.

I read somewhere that newspaper ink is soy-based. :biggrin:

That makes it healthy, right? :blink:

Of course, the point of that article was that newspapers make fine additions to a compost pile.

• 1 month later...
Comes out grease free!

The horror, the horror... :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I can't be bothered reviewing this whole damn 4 page long thread. Am about to cook thick-pre-sliced bacon on a sheet pan. Will lay them out in a single layer. Will start at 350 F so someone has time to respond: What the best temperature and timing? The last couple of times I cooked bacon I started at 400 with convection and saved the bacon just on the border of being burnt. We like bacon crisp yet still chewy, it shouldn't shatter at a touch. Please help.

Thick sliced bacon on a rack in a sheet pan. 325F with no convection. (I don't have convection... yet. :sad: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm doing what Rachel's doing: makin' bacon.

Only the recipe in the SF Chronicle said 300 degrees/25 minutes/turn halfway through. I don't use a rack—just a big sheet pan with heavy-duty foil. (Next time I'll try a rack but the bacon had already gone into the oven before I got to the end of the thread.)

And for my money, Niman Ranch dry-cured bacon ("heirloom pork") is the best on earth. Praise be to Trader Joe's for carrying it!

I still have to go with the Schaller & Weber Double smoked slab bacon. I pan fry it till "Smushy Crisp" (You bacon addicts know what I mean).

As the first wave of Jersey tomatoes have hit the farm stands I declare BLT season officially open! :cool:

I also like a BLT with a slice of raw onion (BLOT), and then even an added slice of cheese (BLOTCH). :laugh:

I think I'll have to do this for dinner with a couple ears of fresh corn. (Wrapped in Bacon?) :wub:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

OK.. Can't wait to see how corn wrapped with bacon works. I have wrapped asparagus with bacon, but never corn. I am fascinated. Details please.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The bacon turned out nice and crisp without being completely dessicated. I've done it on a rack before, but find you need to clean the pan just as much and also a PITA to clean rack. Pretty much the same with foil lined -- once the grease is on the pan you have to clean it anyway, so what's the point? I soak the pans for a while and then clean, not too bad a job but needs to be done by hand, not dishwasher.

Apple Thorn Valley Deli Thick Sliced Bacon: bacon1.jpg

Ready for the oven: bacon2.jpg

After 10 minutes cooking: bacon3.jpg

20 minutes cooking: bacon4.jpg

They were flipped at this point and cooked about 15 more minutes at 350.

35 minutes: bacon6.jpg

Drain the grease at this point (before flipping, so the bacon sticks to the pan slightly and won't fall off): bacon5.jpg

40 minutes, flip then another 5 minutes in a turned off oven: bacon7.jpg

On paper towels: bacon8.jpg

Yum, Bacon & Eggs (the hash browns weren't as burnt as they look): bacon9.jpg

Total cooking time about 45 minutes (may have been a little longer do to photographing delays :wink:). You may have noticed I made a lot of bacon. It was a 3 pound package and I cooked about 2/3 of it. The remains go in a paper towel lined ziploc bag for BLTs, salad topping, etc. over the course of the next week or two. As long as you're cooking messy bacon, you may as well cook a mess of it!

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

• 7 months later...

I have been combing through this forum's handful of long bacon threads looking for any leads on producing really crisp oven bacon. Besides baking on a rack (which I despise washing), has anyone found a way to do this? My goal is bacon that shatters to the firm touch but is still relatively uncolored (tan/red not brown). I've gotten it a few times in the past but haven't been able to reproduce it lately. When I have been successful, it's been with low temperatures (<250 f.) for a long time (2+ hours) but these days that formula is giving me bacon that's dark brown and chewy (can't even cut it with fork!).

Any ideas?