• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisa Chu's Stage at ADPA

Of some interest in this topic might be the description of the Ritz Paris’ menu at the Espadon for next December 30th:

- Beluga caviar served nestled in ice, Rose Pompadour and Granny smith Apples (Dom Pérignon 1995)

- Blue lobster medallions in light ambered jelly and browned Romanesco sauce

- Sea urchin soufflé with scallops presented in their shells and tender spinach leaves (Batard- Montrachet Blain-Gagnard 1999)

- Sea bass supreme with shavings of Alba truffles

- Fine Chanterelle ravioli with Parmesan Reggiano

- Whole black truffle with Remy Martin Louis XIII cognac on pastry surprise (Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1985)

- Lamb filet with disc of spiced lamb foie gras, traditional simmered root vegetables

- Truffled Meaux brie and Fourme d’Ambert au Coteaux du Layon, lamb’s lettuce dressed with Argan oil (Château d’Yquem 1985)

- Vanilla perfumed cristalline, Woodland strawberry rosé Champagne froth (Ritz Champagne vintage magnum)

- Fine golden chesnuts, chocolate cream and crisp Piémont hazelnut praline (old port 1893 vintage)

- Coffee and Mignardises (Ritz special 1830 fine champagne)

All for 1950 euros (but did you really want to know?) There is aso a raffle giving you a chance to win a Cartier jewel which would probably pay for your dinner and next year's too. A bit of a long shot though...

Edited by admajoremgloriam (log)

BTW, I just saw "Something's Gotta Give", and I would tell all Egulleters to take note of the Paris hotel-- it is the Plaza Athenée!  :rolleyes:

Le Grnad Colbert looked wonderful -- do you know anyone who has eaten there. The setting and the description of the roast chicken is enough to make me put it on the list for my next visit.

Loved the movie, though it was a good 20-30 mintues too long. In the scene on the bridge, is that Hotel de Ville in the background?

(edited after googling "le grand colbert")

Edited by bushey (log)

Loved the movie, though it was a good 20-30 mintues too long.  In the scene on the bridge, is that Hotel de Ville in the background?

Absolument!!

By the way, does "Le Grand Colbert" really exist or was the name changed to protect the innocent?

I loved the movie, and I thought it could have gone on longer, it was such a delight!!

In French, "rose rompadour" is the name of a colour. A colour between pink and purple that takes its name from Madame de Pompadour, as it seems she was the one who popularized it. It is also the name of a flower, a rose of that colour.

I checked the French version of the menu however, and it seems that "Rose Pompadour" was a rather approximative translation of "rosace de pompadour". Therefore, it would mean flakes (or thin slices) of a breed of patatoes called "pompadour" and put on the plate in a manner reminding one of a flower's petals. An elaborate play on words in a way, since it brings you back to the idea of the flower. A take on the classic caviar/potatoe starter.

Pictures of the said potatoe for the really keen ones amongst you!

The Pompadour is a variety I've not seen locally (and Humboldt County is an excellent region for potatoes, with many types). Does anyone know if it is legal to bring back seed potatoes?

Does anyone know if it is legal to bring back seed potatoes?

I'd be reluctant to rely on any advice that didin't come from the US Department of Agriculture directly anyway, so I don't think what you will get here on legal matters is very important. The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Website is probably a good place to start if you want reliable information

"USDA-APHIS-PPQ’s Permit Unit can provide information about import requirements and permits for plants, plant parts, fruits, vegetables, and other agricultural items.

USDA, APHIS

Plant Protection and Quarantine

4700 River Road, Unit 136

Riverdale, MD 20737-1236, Attention: Permit Unit

www.aphis.usda.gov

Or

Look in your local phone book for the nearest office of USDA, APHIS, PPQ, or call the central office at 877-770-5990 or 301-734-8645."

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I know this is quite a digression, but the APHIS site has always been quite ambiguous about seeds and bulbs; they tell you to check with the originating country's consulate, where, upon inquiring, the consulate will direct you back to APHIS!! (Dizzying!)

One of the most memorable plant materials we have come back with is something called "Billes d'Argile", little decorative balls about 1/2 inch in diameter that we put on the top of the soil in most of our potted plants-- very attractive, unusual, and a real-attention getter!! You have to go to a Pépinière to buy them. (Garden Center).

lamb foie gras

This is new to me -- I'm assuming it is nothing more than a tender, young lamb's liver (I can't imagine they are actually force-feeding a lamb-i-kins!).

I missed that. It's a new term to me as well. Is that a typo, some individual artistic license in the use of the term "foie gras," or is there a trend here?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

It's a complete typo,

Not uncommon online, but rarely does it provide such a new gastronomic treat. :biggrin: You're forgiven, or should I say "thanks for stirring our imagination?"

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Today's lunch was our last service before our 10 day Christmas vacation. I'm physically and mentally drained. Here's the New Year's Eve dinner menu. I'll add details over the next few days.

Le Diner de Saint Sylvestre 2003/2004

Noix de St. Jacques en coquille, cresson/caviar

A very large scallop brushed with olive oil, lightly salted, seared, then finished in the oven. Served in shell, on a thick, watercress cream. The hot scallop will then be garnished with a tiny chilled scoop of oscetra caviar - decorated with one painstakingly perfect chervil leaf.

Foie gras de canard des Landes, pommes/coing

Homard de breton, pommes Macaire, aux sucs de crustaces, oscetre caviar royale

Volaille de Bresse, bouillon, celeraic, truffes noirs

Vacherin Mont d'Or

Plaisirs Sucrees de Nouvel An

Confiseries/Mignardises

the APHIS site has always been quite ambiguous about seeds and bulbs

I was able to get a direct line to one Karen Brody at USDA, who is in charge of imports of fruits and vegetables, and she said unambiguously that NO potatoes can be imported into the US from any nation but Canada, citing the dangers of pest contamination. I've been to the excellent French web site French Potato Varieties, which seems exhaustive in its discussion of botanical prophylaxis, but :blink: this seems to be a godblessamerica cultural thing. On the other hand, we've been blindsided by Asian fruit flies, so maybe the paranoia is justified.

All that notwithstanding, I'm told that truffles (we're going to Perigord) are fine (so long as there's no soil attached). Why? "It is considered a processed food." And of course, we've been importing unpasteurized French cheeses for over a year, no problem. We're expecting to find an export source with less "attitude" than fromages.com near our Paris hotel, Hotel du Champ de Mars.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this thread before now. I don't know how. Rest assured I won't be missing the El Bulli thread. Thanks, Louisa!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz