• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisa Chu's Stage at ADPA

Pan, thank you! In France - as in most of the rest of the world - they expect curriculum vitaes and not resumes from everyone including chefs - though not usually from lowly stagiaires - with age, marital status, number of kids, and photo. I suspect during the interviews they estimate weight and measurements.

sandra, thanks! That sounds so good! I was thinking about doing a roast too but have always had more consistent results with chops - and I do like that bone. How's sugar work treating you?! :wacko:

Moby, you are too kind - and too funny - I am a little people!

alacarte - yah, me neither!

hollywood, oh my cooking is much more dramatic. Thanks so much - and I'm afraid the thought has crossed my mind to try to do both.

Pan, thank you! In France - as in most of the rest of the world - they expect curriculum vitaes and not resumes from everyone including chefs - though not usually from lowly stagiaires - with age, marital status, number of kids, and photo. I suspect during the interviews they estimate weight and measurements.

Ugh! No relevant anti-discrimination rules? And what are they looking for?

But what happened with the stage??!!!

Michael aka "Pan"

Congratulations on that huge diploma. Your pieces have been great--certainly lots of room for a return to a writing career if cooking palls.

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Pan, I don't know the law here, but it's what's done. And I suspect we know what they're looking for. And the story's just starting on the stage ...

fresco, thank you. And yes, the diploma's big. I was just thinking that it will cost a fortune if I ever want to get it framed. Maybe I'll magnet it onto a big walk-in fridge door someday. And thanks, I do hope I get to do both.

Louisa's moment of truth at ADPA.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

DISCLAIMER:

DO NOT READ PAST THIS POINT until you've read the article and learned the outcome for yourself.

If your post was removed by the recent cleanup of this thread, please feel to repost below. Thanks.

+++

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Whoooa. :blink::hmmm::unsure::hmmm::wacko::blink::shock:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the clean-up, FG.

Louisa, congratulation on getting your stage. Your writing is top notch and I always greatly anticipate your next entry. Do keep writing between now and mid-August. Whether or not you're working in a kitchen your depiction of Parisian life is thorougly enjoyable.

-Eric

Tsk tsk, Fat Guy. I played by the rules. :biggrin:

Well at least I can congratulate Louisa this time in trade for making fun of you and Bux. That's consolation. Glad to see she got what she deserved.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Louisa, having spent a week in Ducasse's kitchen here in New York, let me be I'm sure not the first to tell you:

Prepare for pain.

And congratulations!

Louisa make sure you get to the pastry dept. The chef, Christophe Michalak, looks like a cuter Tom Cruise. And he seems very very nice (then again they all do until you mess up). Piege is a good guy too. My husband worked with him back when he was thin. :smile:

wow. that was a great piece (of course they all are). I've been eagerly anticipating to this one. After reading the lead in on the main page, I was pretty worried and kept thinking how could this have happened. I"m glad it worked out, congratulations.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

All I wrote was something like "Wow! Yes, everyone should read this article. Real life is sometimes at least as suspenseful as fiction." I don't think I have much to add, except that I hope the stage ends up being rewarding, in the end.

Michael aka "Pan"

That disclaimer scared the hell out of me!

Me too. :laugh:

I guess I just had too much faith in you to believe my first post would ruin the suspense for everyone else. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.