• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gumbo in the Burbs: Last Minute Invite

What wine goes with gumbo?

What I've found is that the spices in the gumbo tend to obliterate any attempt at subtlety on the part of the wine. Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your assistance.

For something inexpensive, I like Rosemount Grenache-Shiraz. The grenache fruit is a nice contrast with the roux and file, and the Shiraz has some spice to it.

Or something earthier (and a little more expensive): Yalumba Bush Vine Grenache

Some Zins work, too. Maybe one of the less fancy Ravenswoods?

I don't know whites for gumbo, but I'd try an Alsatian or Washington Gewurz. OTOH, this might be an occasion where some oak would be welcome, so maybe a Chardonnay?

Edit to add: a slightly off-dry Riesling might work, too.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave: Milles mercis for the wine recs. Um, are crawfish indespensible? We've got chicken and sausage happening right now, and I'm going to buy some shrimp.

Here's an idea: Jump a plane and attend;the dogs at the airport aren't trained to sniff for crawfish. Fresser could swing the slick PT Cruiser past O'Hare, and you and Nerissa could talk Southern cuisine on the way over.

Neat segue to Fresser and his beverage. Hey, Steve! , our teetotalling diabetic designated driver: What should I lay in for you?

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

On the wine . . .

There are some nice Spanish reds--90% Grenache & 10% Syrah.  (For about $7/bottle.)

Thanks, Matthew. BTW, it's only five hours from Ann Arbor to my garden. Pick up a couple of bottles and get over here!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Here's what I was thinking of . . .

2001 Vina Alarba Calatayud

(There a 100% Grenache, too. I like the Grenache/Syrah blend better.)

I bet Sam's has some for $6/bottle. :smile:

And, I wish I could make it but I can't. (Even with the 3 hour drive. GR, remember? :biggrin: )

Edit: I'm starting to sound like I only drink wine under $8/bottle. :biggrin: wait :blink: oh, wateva :cool:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

:biggrin:

I like the idea of oak there, Dave: in keeping with the whole "less than $8" theme, I'll bring a couple bottles of Lindemans Bin 65 Chard. Plenty of fruit, and just a bit of oak.

:smile:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Um, are crawfish indespensible?  We've got chicken and sausage happening right now, and I'm going to buy some shrimp.

I'm sure you know that I wasn't entirely serious, Lily.

With the chicken and sausage, it does seem like you've got an inland/Layfayette kinda thing going on. The crawfish, being from the bayou and all, let you maintain thematic consistency.

But I would never pass up a nice plump shrimp.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Edit:  I'm starting to sound like I only drink wine under $8/bottle.

If I spend more than eight bucks for a bottle, I have to present proof of a Special Occasion to the Keeper of the Checkbook.

I like the idea of oak there, Dave: in keeping with the whole "less than $8" theme, I'll bring a couple bottles of Lindemans Bin 65 Chard. Plenty of fruit, and just a bit of oak.

Thanks, Lady T. If you're agreeing with me, I must be starting to get the hang of this wine thing.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

If I spend more than eight bucks for a bottle, I have to present proof of a Special Occasion to the Keeper of the Checkbook.

Then try out that Vina Alarba Calatayud blend.

I'll be picking up another case soon. It's currently my house red. :smile:

I like the idea of oak there, Dave:  in keeping with the whole "less than $8" theme, I'll bring a couple bottles of Lindemans Bin 65 Chard.  Plenty of fruit, and just a bit of oak.

:smile:

and I have seen it on sale at Domnicks (not recently). Haven't been to Dominicks in a while. :biggrin:

Neat segue to Fresser and his beverage.  Hey, Steve! , our teetotalling diabetic designated driver:  What should I lay in for you?

I'm kinda partial to diet Canfield's 50/50, Green River and Peach or Raspberry Snapple. :cool:

Hop in my Cruiser, it's as big as a whale!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

So:

Dean: Pickled mushrooms and beet salad

Dawn: Beans and rice

Sue: Cornbread et vin.

Nerissa: I've plumb forgot...wine, maybe?

Dave: Crawfish and Spanish red

Fresser: Transportation and....a couple of good crusty loaves, perhaps? A starter?

Please:

PM me if there are Transportation issues. We can work it out.

Think of this, my eGulls: Devilled Eggs from Sparrowgrass's henhouse!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

So:

Dean:  Pickled mushrooms and beet salad

Dawn:  Beans and rice

Nerissa:  I've plumb forgot...wine, maybe?

Dave:  Crawfish and Spanish red

Fresser: Transportation and....a couple of good crusty loaves, perhaps? A starter?

Please:

Think of this, my eGulls:  Devilled Eggs from Sparrowgrass's henhouse!

I think you forgot jammies on the list (as in PJ's).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

So:

Dean:  Pickled mushrooms and beet salad

Dawn:  Beans and rice

Nerissa:  I've plumb forgot...wine, maybe?

Dave:  Crawfish and Spanish red

Please:

Think of this, my eGulls:  Devilled Eggs from Sparrowgrass's henhouse!

I think you forgot jammies on the list (as in PJ's).

D'oh! Thanks, Susan. Guys, bring jammies as required.

(Takes a Mother to remember this stuff!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

No one seems to be bringing crawfish.

Crawdads in the gumbo, eh?

That would make my great-grandmother wig! As you may guess, crawfish never made an appearance in our gumbo.

Everyone has their way. We always did a combination of shirmp, crab, chicken, sausage, and oysters. I've never met an oyster that I could love, so my mother eases up on them for my consideration.

Jimmy Banos only indluces chicken in his gumbo. It's good and all, but I think the omission is punishable by law.

Who's on hot sauce and gumbo file (fee-lay) detail?

No one seems to be bringing crawfish.

Crawdads in the gumbo, eh?

That would make my great-grandmother wig! As you may guess, crawfish never made an appearance in our gumbo.

Everyone has their way. We always did a combination of shirmp, crab, chicken, sausage, and oysters. I've never met an oyster that I could love, so my mother eases up on them for my consideration.

Jimmy Banos only indluces chicken in his gumbo. It's good and all, but I think the omission is punishable by law.

Who's on hot sauce and gumbo file (fee-lay) detail?

I thought it would be fun just to heap the little red critters on a sheaf of newspaper in the middle of a picnic table, have people roll up their sleeves, and dig in.

I've used them in etouffee, but not in a gumbo, though I have no objection -- I like your approach.

I think the essence of gumbo is to celebrate what's plentiful at that time, in that place, so like many great soups, it's familial, seasonal and regional. After Thanksgiving, I make it with turkey. After Christmas, I use ham to give it some smoke and extra richness. But the truth is, I have yet to meet a gumbo I didn't like. My favorite combination is sausage and shrimp: rice in the bottom of a deep bowl, ladle on the soup, then float a tablespoon or two of snowy white crabmeat on top. Garnish with a sprinkling or chiffonade of an appropriate herb and 1/2" curls of red bell pepper.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

:wink:

I am, if necessary.  Let me know; I'm going to Treasure Island tonight.

You go, Girl!

Actually..no need for the file. But heck, I always like to see other peoples' taste in hot sauce, so go ahead. Thanks, BTW.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

1/2" curls of red bell pepper.

Archie, I was with you all the way, until this.

1/2" Curls? Were you being poetic describing the appearance of the red pepper cut in short thin strips or do you actually curl them, a la carrot curls?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com