• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Rising Stars

Dear Jancis,

I am very much looking forward to your discussion of all the topics so far presented and those yet to be posted. I am wondering what wines, winemakers and regions are those whom you see to be the future stars and most importantly, why?

It seems that over the last twenty years or so, big, bold wines have ascended in popularity. Do you see that trend continuing? Is it possible for terroir to be truly identifiable in a powerhouse blockbuster?

Thanks for visitng us and pleae keep on writing and filming!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Gosh, there really is a theme here, isn't there?!

I dearly hope that the wines of the future will continue to express their origins more and more clearly. That is wine's great USP after all.

I'm sure there is still lots to discover in both Spain and Portugal, and in Croatia, cooler regions of Australia which may not even have been planted yet, ditto South Africa. And I'm currently writing an FT article about Thapsus 2002, a particularly interesting Carignan made in Tunisia by a woman from McLaren Vale. I've been impressed by a couple of wines made in India. Yesterday I was emailed by someone claiming to be (S) Korea's only serious wine producer. These surprises are popping up all over the place.