• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Same NEWBIE needs input on Wusthof knives...

by350

But I still keep a Victorinox Cake Knife in my kit! It is the best all round knife I have ever used. I replace it every year at $35. It is so versatile!

yes, oh yes!

though i don't replace mine every year :rolleyes:

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

though i don't replace mine every year :rolleyes:

Mine did at least 7 years (two in a commercial kitchen) before it got damaged, and I was brutal when it came to sharpening the blade. But we mustn't turn this into a 'my knife is better than your knife' debate. Suffice to say, mine is- in the correct hands. :shock:

You know, you’re both so right. I have a Victorinox at home that I purchased five years ago and it is as good as new.

At work I have a brigade of 30 cooks. 15 being entry-level cooks and apprentices. I lend to the new cooks, before they have been hired on permanently and bought their own equipment, my Victorinox.

Have you ever noticed that in the novice hand the serrated blade seems to do more damage when they cut themselves?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Have you ever noticed that in the novice hand the serrated blade seems to do more damage when they cut themselves?

It sure does!

Yowza!

Noise is music. All else is food.

The beginning of the thread referenced "straightening".  Not sure if this meant sharpening or not, but it is relevant to me.  Two of my Wusthof GPs got bent at the tips - don't ask how.  Is there a way to fix that?

Fish's standard response to anything knife related: send them along to Bob Kramer at Bladesmiths. Get him to sharpen them and repair them for you - they'll be better than new.

- S