• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Peppers

Jim Dixon

I have to admit that the trial of roasting peppers in strips under the broiler versus the other methods was done with red bell peppers. (Some of my food friends and I did do a side by side test.) Now, they are relatively tasteless as compared to poblanos, jalepenos or other peppers. I am willing to concede that peppers that have a lot of flavor notes that are dependent upon the capsaisins in the membrane will benefit from roasting whole. Plain old red bell peppers... the only difference we could see was the taste of the charring if it was done on the grill.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I put the peppers in a bag which I close tightly. Five or ten minutes later, I take out the pepper, remove the stem and core and quarter the peppers on the ribs. I then scrape off the blackened skin.

The bag method works just as well as the paper towels. I like the paper towels bucause you can use them to help peel the skin off the peppers.

I agree.... I thought at the beginning of this thread we were speaking about Red Bell peppers. (or yellow, orange, purple etc.) BTW The pic was great!!

I don't tink you can go wrong in steaming them. Throw them in a bowl covered with Saran wrap, a paper bag, with a few newspapers on the botom, zip lock bag, it's endless.

Just like so many foods out there, peppers, (can any one tell me how many varieties there are ?) and depending on what you roast can vary in taste tremendously.

Ain't it fun!!!

Bux... Love the garlic and oil thingy. I have done that and it's fabulous.

Had the best roasted peppers in Bologna.

I now drizzle a little bit of Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena, Extra Vecchio.

Died and went to heaven.