• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paradores in Spain

Mrs. B

I just received a nice packet from "Amigos de Paradores" which included all sorts of deals. While staying at the parador in Cuenca I filled out a brochure for membership in the paradores. I didn't have to pay anything, just supplied them with name, address, etc. The deal is, you get points for the money you spend at any parador. Our stay in Cuenca gave me points retroactively and I also received a gift from them. The gift is the opportunity to stay at any of the Paradores for up to five nights for 69.12 euros plus the 7pct VAT.

Anyone going to Spain who is considering staying in Paradores should consider joining, you can do it online:

http://www.parador.es/english/index.jsp

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

El precio de la Tarjeta 5 Noches para el año 2003 es de 345,60 euros + IVA.

According to the website, you need to buy the card for 345,60 euros to get that rate. Which is still a good rate, considering how expensive the regular prices on some of these places are.

But you got it for free?

El precio de la Tarjeta 5 Noches para el año 2003 es de 345,60 euros + IVA.

According to the website, you need to buy the card for 345,60 euros to get that rate. Which is still a good rate, considering how expensive the regular prices on some of these places are.

But you got it for free?

While staying at the parador in Cuenca I filled out a brochure for membership in the paradores. I didn't have to pay anything, just supplied them with name, address, etc.

Apparently applying while staying in a Parador has its advantages. :biggrin:

As I read these messages and the Parador web site. These are two different cards. The card for sale on the web site is a prepaid card. It has blackouts and limitations, but it's good for five nights at Paradors. "The gift [card] is the opportunity to stay at any of the Paradores for up to five nights for 69.12 euros plus the 7pct VAT." The final cost appears to be the same -- if you use all five nights. It's a great advantage to be able to use just one, two, three or four nights and not lose a prepaid portion.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to become an "amigo" via the web site.

If you still don't have an Amigos card, don't wait any longer! Register for one during your next stay at a Parador.
The problem here is that the card is sent to your home address and valid only through the year. Thus you have to make a second trip to avail yourself of the rewards. Nevertheless there's no charge to join and worth doing should you ever find yourself at a Parador.

The 5 Night Cards being sold apparently have surcharges and blackouts and may not be such a great deal. You'd have to plan your itinerary carefully to see if the savings were worth the constrictions. The Paradors are excellent and some are worth seeing just for the historical buidling they occupy, but some are remote or not neccessarily the best place to stay in a town or area. While the Spanish government has made an effort to see that the Paradors all serve representative regional foods, previous posters on this site have indicated they feel the Paradors do not have a good repuation for their cuisine.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thank you Varmint for the welcome. And thank you dear for the explanation which I had not time to get to until now

Unfortunately, I usueally post in-between calls at the office and in trying to be helpful I did not give complete information about the "Amigos". Not to mention that one does not seem to be able to join online as posted :wub: BUT, one can join by mail, if one had the application. :cool: I had some in the office but have given them away. I called the Spanish Tourist Office, here in NYC, but they did not have any left. So, I sent email messages to the custormer service, marketing department and sales of the Amigos site. I also asked if there was a way they could send it by email so I could post it and others can benefit.

"The problem here is that the card is sent to your home address and valid only through the year. "

The membership is forever, the points you earn for every stay are good for two years (you get 1 point for every 3 euros you spend at any parador, including meals) and expire if not used within that period. Throughout the year the association offers special deals for certain paradores, if you happen to be going at that time you can take advantage of them.

As for the 5 night card one prepays, they can be a very good deal if you are going to use them all. For example, the Parador in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia which is one of their treasures, costs about 160-180 euros. If you use one of the 5night cards the cost becomes more like 136 euros (some paradores have a supplement). Same for the one in Leon which is another beauty, both are located in the city not in the burbs so one can eat someplace else. I hope this clarifies my post.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

Just received an email from Amigos de Paradores. They are sending via fax, the application. They mentioned they will process any application received by fax. If you are interested in getting one, as soon as I receive it, send me a PM include your fax number and I will fax one to you. Or perhaps I can scan it at home and send it as an attachment via email to anybody who wants one, that way it won't cost me anything :raz:

As for the 5 night card one prepays, they can be a very good deal if you are going to use them all. For example, the Parador in Santiago de Compostela in Galicia which is one of their treasures, costs about 160-180 euros. If you use one of the 5night cards the cost becomes more like 136 euros (some paradores have a supplement). Same for the one in Leon which is another beauty,

I've stayed at both of those and I think they are the two most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. For what they are they are bargains. I just think its a shame they don't have restaurants to match the hotel standards but I think that's true with Paradores in general-or at least it was in the early nineties.

The Parador de Tortosa is great - a 10th Century Medieval Castle. I stayed there a couple of years ago. It is worth it to get the "Superior" room (still only about $125 US a night) because it is actually a suite with a balcony and they have jacuzzi tubs as well. Gorgeous setting. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the little town of Tortosa had some great little gourmet shops too.

However, the most fabulous place I stayed during my 2 week adventure from Barcelona to Cadiz was The Hotel Puente Romano in Marbella. It is incredible, a little pricey, but worth it. :wub:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

I stayed at the Parador in the Gredos mountains (near Madrid) a few years ago. It is an old hunting lodge and apparently was the first Parador created. Rooms comfortable but functional (I think they were an extension) and the public rooms were great.