• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sour Grapes in Golden State

Craig Camp

I really like the part about replanting the Chardonnay with Petite Sirah.

How much is this going to affect the premium market? I would guess none at all. Just a whole lot of two buck Chuck.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

How much is this going to affect the premium market? I would guess none at all. Just a whole lot of two buck Chuck.

There has been a minor adjustment on the premium market; most of the high-end Napa Cabs that aren't all sold through mailing lists (Insignia, Caymus SS, Opus, etc) have lowered their prices slightly. The major change that I'm seeing is the $20-$30 mass produced wines are not selling (Mondavi, BV, Sterling, ...) and are being repackaged and sold for half their original price with a different label and sometimes an entirely different brand name.

Do you see a drop-off in price in those cabs as "coming back to earth" or because of the amount of fruit available. I would say the former.

I love the re-packaging technique. Even cheaper and in a new bottle the wines aren't good.

Someone needs to take all that fruit and make honest, unoaked wines for $10.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

This over-supply problem is not new in California. It is several years old, already. Note that the growers mentioned are not vineyardists in prime Napa Valley locations. Lodi, Central Coast and Sonoma are feeling the pain. As far as Charles Shaw being the fastest selling wine in history, that is wrong. In its heyday, the mid to late 80s, Riunite sold in excess of 300 million cases a year.

Mark

i was talking to a winemaker a couple of months ago who pointed out that in the last crush report, half of all the pinot noir acreage in california is nonbearing. essentially that means it was planted in the last three years and will be coming online probably next year and the year after. that is a truly scary statistic if you're in the business of selling wine.

i was talking to a winemaker a couple of months ago who pointed out that in the last crush report, half of all the pinot noir acreage in california is nonbearing. essentially that means it was planted in the last three years and will be coming online probably next year and the year after. that is a truly scary statistic if you're in the business of selling wine.

The real question to ask on those statistics is not how much but WHERE they planted it. A lot of the acreage of pinot noir is is the wrong place and should be ripped out for more appropriate varietals. I think people have learned a lot about pinot and some of this new acreage is in better locations.

"where" is always the question with pinot, but i've seen no indication that any is being ripped out or grafted, merely more coming on board. of course, a lot of the places pinot is doing well now, it had at one time been "common knowledge" that it would never work. i'm thinking of monterey and santa rita, in particular. the latter, it took more than 20 years for someone to follow up on sanford & benedict. go figure.

"where" is always the question with pinot, but i've seen no indication that any is being ripped out or grafted, merely more coming on board. of course, a lot of the places pinot is doing well now, it had at one time been "common knowledge" that it would never work. i'm thinking of monterey and santa rita, in particular. the latter, it took more than 20 years for someone to follow up on sanford & benedict. go figure.

Thank you Richard Sanford.

for so many things. anyone who hasn't been to the new Sanford winery ought to try to arrange a tour. and this from someone who has looked at way too many bottling lines. it is really a thing of beauty, both practically and architecturally.

for so many things. anyone who hasn't been to the new Sanford winery ought to try to arrange a tour. and this from someone who has looked at way too many bottling lines. it is really a thing of beauty, both practically and architecturally.

Let's hope his new association with Paterno does not lead to winemaking by committee.

Let's hope his new association with Paterno does not lead to winemaking by committee.

I deal quite a bit with Paterno, though mostly for French wines - the domaine estates of Michel Chapoutier and the marvelous Alsatian wines from Josmeyer. They also represent J. Rochioli here locally. I don't think they are involved in telling their suppliers how to make their wine like some other notable importers.

Mark

i think the real story there was more of a wine glut thing than anything else. with an expensive new winery to pay for and tough times ahead for the business, i think richard thought he needed a more national sales force than an independent could afford.