• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rec. for vege girlfriend in london

I am always on the lookout for nice places to take my girlfriend who is vege. no meat or fish. I of course love meat and some fish. We both love eating good food. Because of this we always end up at italians since that seems to provide a good compomise (taking her to locanda locatelli for her birthday).

However it gets a bit monotonous always have pizza/pasta/risotto. Likewise in other restaurants whilst vege selection has improved it generally tends to be the same mushroom in puff filo pastry or risotto kind of deal.

Its very hard to go some where posh and pricey for a special occasion with a vege.

Any suggestions where I can blow some cash and have a memorable meal gratefully apreciated.

I want to go to gordon ramsay one day but not sure about what may be available for the girlfriend...

On recent visits to GR and Savoy and Petrus, there was nothing on the menu for Veg'n's at all. That is not to say that they could not have whipped something up but it would always be an after thought

What about a higher end indian place or Thai? I seem to remember some interesting stuff at Nahm

S

Indian is an obvious choice. Sadly however despite curry being her favourite food, after a bout of food poisoning (a lettuce leaf from a restaurant in paris!) she can no longer eat anything at all spicy!

You can imagine the pain, like being a chocoholic and allergic to chocolate...

Ex-vegetarian speaks...

Roussillon - subject of a thread from last week. It's a fabulous restaurants for vegetarians. Michelin *ed, and most of the dishes on the menu are veggie.

Alternatively, when a vegetarian I found that just about every top-end place is happy to have you along, if you call in advance to inform them of your eating requirements. Following such a ploy, I had the most amazing meal at Petrus - I still daydream about it, in fact. I don't think Petrus has reopened yet, though.

I recall having very good vegetarian dinners at Incognico and Nahm, too.

Ah interesting you mention Incognico. I have wanted to go there for a while but was put off by lack of vege options...

As I recall (this is going back a couple of years) I had a goat's cheese raviolo to start. Can't remember what I had for my main, but I suspect that the kitchen came up with something off-menu for me. Not an omelette.