• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honeymoon in Maui and Kauai

foodboy

Foodwise, (more so than service or atmosphere) what are the very best restaurants on these two islands? I would like a place that really emphasizes local ingredients and, possibly, Hawaiian or Pacific cooking.

What a timely post. For my final in a speech class, we had to persuade potential honeymooners to go to Maui and why. Sarrento's on the Beach has continually received great write ups. I found a lot of info by googling Maui and Hawaiian cuisine. The HRC was founded to promote the different cultural influences that contribute to Hawaiian cuisine: the Portugese for the Hawaiian bread, the Australians for the Macadamia nut, the Philopinos, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Koreans, etc....Roy Yamaguchi's restaurants have received high acclaim as well. In addition to Spam, poke is an omnipresent item. I encourage you to Google it, as it would take me forever to provide the laundry list of choices. Beware of falling coconuts.

Have fun!

My husband and I lived on Maui for almost a year before moving to Japan and we had very little money so didn't dine out much and when we did it was usually some place like Tony Roma's (my husband loves ribs). Anyway we did eat out quite a bit when his parent's came to visit, we spent a lot of meals at Roy Yamaguchi's avrious restaurants, I think my in lwas had an affinity for him because they share the same surname, no relation though. I enjoy Roy's and have frequented his Tokyo retsaurants often.

My absolute favorite restaurant was Sarrentos on the Beach, the incredible food combined with impeccable service and views to die for is a combination you normally only dream about.

A bit on the pricey side, Ferrara's (Ferraro's?) at the Four Seasons Hotel has some of the most incredible seafood.

Most of our favorite places were just these little local joints where the tourists never ventured and unfortunately seem to be slowly disappearing.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

When my wife and I visited Josselin's Pacific Cafe on Kauai last year it was absolutely exquisite. We had two meals there and noticed no appreciable drop in the quality from the night that Mssr Josselin was there to when he wasn't. Their food highlights local ingredients and does 'Pacific Rim' cuisine in a way it is rarely found elsewhere.

Although I haven't visited it, I have had a number of people tell me that one of the best seafood meals of their lives was at The White House at Poipu.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I forgot to mention the Pacific Cafe on Maui (are these two related?) I went twice, once was very good and the second was just so so.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My hubby and I went to Maui for our Honeymoon. We went all out. And enjoyed some great food. We stayed at the Four Seasons and enjoyed their restaurants quite a bit. They also suggested a number of great spots that we went to and were never disappointed. Pacific Cafe was one...we also went to a great sushi spot at a hotel down the road that I now can't remember, but we went 2xs it was awesome (Royal Prince, maybe). I could check a map if you are interested.

On the north side of Kauii, about in the middle of Hanalei, there is this fish taco joint that you shouldn't miss. Sashimi grade tuna for tacos. But then... that is all the poor guy could get. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It's called Tropical Taco. They guy is Roger. It's awesome. A must for sure.

Pacific Cafe is probably the best on the island.

Cafe Hanalei (in the Princeville Hotel) is "okay."

Duane's Ono Char Burger in Anahola is good greasy burgers.

There are a handful of "locals" places (mostly on the east side) serving things like Saipan that can be tasty.

In general, however, the best way to eat on Kauai is to cook for yourself. The ingredients can be truly incredible. The way to do it is to get the farmer's market schedule and plan your days around a drive to the town the market is in that day. Get there early (before the market opens) as the good stuff will go very fast. Shop, then head to the Dolphin for fresh fish. At the farmer's markets, things to look for include the incredible no-acid pineapples, the Koloa purple asparagus, really good thai chili peppers, nice Koloa tomatoes, organic salad greens and all sorts of wonderful tropical fruits. You'll also run into folks selling stuff from their trucks. If you see a super nice woman selling fresh shrimp... buy them all. They're deep water red shrimp that her sons catch and they're the best I've ever eaten.

Oh... and call Cliff at Learn to Surf Kauai and take a lesson. You'll have a great time.

Kauai is lovely. I'm jealous.

fanatic...

I forgot to mention the Pacific Cafe on Maui (are these two related?) I went twice, once was very good and the second was just so so.

Yes, Jean-Marie Josselin is the owner of both, the one on Kauai is his original place. He had a third branch of the restaurant in Honolulu, but it closed recently. I believe he also has a restaurant of a different name in Las Vegas.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Yes, Jean-Marie Josselin is the owner of both, the one on Kauai is his original place. He had a third branch of the restaurant in Honolulu, but it closed recently. I believe he also has a restaurant of a different name in Las Vegas.

He was on extended absence recently while opening up one in La Jolla.

The best purchase of food for me is Kauii Sugarloaf Pineapples (zero acid, amazing, often best at Bannana Joe's in Kiluhea or at one of the farmers markets), lychee, papaya (ditto), and the seared cajun ahi sashimi at the Hanalei Dolphin fish market. Quality you'd have to pay a fortune for in the mainland.

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

...and the seared cajun ahi sashimi at the Hanalei Dolphin fish market.  Quality you'd have to pay a fortune for in the mainland.

I would definitely second the Hanalei Dolphin for extremely high quality fish. If you have a place to cook for yourself, as we did, you can buy beautiful ahi, opa, swordfish, etc., etc. and do it yourself. I've heard the restaurant is excellent too.

• 3 months later...
a number of great spots that we went to and were never disappointed.  Pacific Cafe was one...

Went twice to A Pacific Cafe. In our opinion, the appitizers were weak but the main courses were EXCELLENT.

Appitizers ordered:

Deep fried curry oysters w/marscapone and scallion sauce. The scallion sauce was great, marscapone was not needed and the oysters were overcooked.

Ahi and Hamachi Sashimi w/maui onion dressing. This was good and refreshing

Steamed baby lobster shu mai (dumplings) w/tangerine vinaigrette and jicama melon relish. We were drooling at the sounds of this one, but was very blah.

Foie gras spring roll w/scallop. Was good,but not as good as it sounded.

Entrees:

The "original" wok charred mahi mahi. Mahi Mahi had a garlic sesame crust and was served w/a lime ginger beurre blanc, also Asian stir fried veggies. GREAT, intense lime flavor. I liked it alot.

"Imu Style" Slow Braised Duck with Caramel Lilikoi sauce and purple Okinawan Sweet Potato. My wife liked this dish so much she had it both nights. Duck was incredible as well as the bright purple sweet potato. YUM.

"Mongolian" Style Rack of Lamb w/Chinese Black Bean Maui Onion Cabernet Sauce. served w/a potato gallete and baby bok choy. WOW, one of the best dishes I've had in years.

Reservations are recommended after 7pm, we were there at 5:30pm and 6pm w/out reservations but it filled up fast.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

For a more upscale/expensive dinner on Maui, we dined at The Waterfront which is in/on Maalaea Harbor. Strange set-up, it's in an condo building overlooking the harbor. My pop who used to buy/sell fish claimed it was the best fish he had while in all of HI, Mom was equally impressed. My crab cake appetizer was outstanding, while my main course was good. Wife's lamb was very tasty.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"