• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend of Food

We had friends visiting from NYC who wanted to sprinkle a bit of sightseeing amongst their food...

Following is a quick run down of our adventures:

Thursday lunch

The Golden Hind, my favourite fish & chips in London - crispy batter, not greasy, and a great new addition of feta fritters which is to die for...

Thursday dinner

One of the Italians off St. Christopher's Square - it was late, and after a few Guinnesses at the O'Connor Don, not much open in the area... luckily I managed to land us in the one with the great gnocchi sorrentina, I'll have to go back and note the name for next time, we always stumble in as if by rote...

Friday lunch

Bank - has seriously gone downhill in my opinion, the crab lenguini is no longer on the menu and the puttanesca I had was very weak.

Friday dinner

Ubon - as always, spectacular - the rock shrimp tempura with ponzu sauce is amazing, the miso chips, cold soba, sashimi of tofu and tomato, tempura tuna roll, the black cod...everything, we ordered several appetizers and mains and other tidbits - service, food and ambience, far superior to Nobu in my book...

Saturday breakfast

Cafe Caldesi, what a surprise, their take of a full english with eggs, pancetta, canellini beans in tomato sauce, sauteed porcinis and sourdough toast

Saturday lunch

Sofra in Shepherds Market - meze are always a good stanby for a hangover - also on the way to Buckingham Palace...

Saturday dinner

Locanda Locatelli - outstanding as usual - ordered 3 courses each - warm salad of beans and potato, bresaola, buffalo mozzarelly, one with proscioutto, one with the best tomatoes I have ever had in London, juicy, sweet, perfectly dressed -

then tortelli of caramelised onion with red wine sauce, gnocchi with goats cheese and shaved truffle, and two langoustine spaghetti - just right -

then I had the filet that came with a small rosti and morels in a reduction, the two men had the sea bass in salt crust with agrodolce sauce, and friend had another pasta, the linguine with chicory - all delicious -

plus...

desserts, I had a souffle of carnaroli rice, which was like having puffed rice pudding, incredible, sorbets and cheese for the rest of them... Giorgio walked around all evening smiling and exchanging pleasantries (hunk) Only bad taste was left at the very end when the maitre d' came to our table and while pointing at his watch said "well we really need the table now, eh?" well after we had asked for the bill...

Sunday lunch

Royal China, Baker Street - the usual dim sum extravaganza

Sunday dinner

On our way to Cru in HOxton in a little while, have never been there, will report if there is anything exciting going on...

Monday - gym, gym, gym. gym.......... :wacko:

This is a quick rundown, if anyone wants more details, let me know and I'll be happy to fill in...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Cru was allright, a nice salad of mozzarella and 3 kinds of tomatoes, green, red and yellow, needed more flavour - the gazpacho was good also, the little croutons were still crsipy towards the end...

Then I had a roasted tomato and onion tarte tatin with rocket salad, also needed salt but otherwise good, my friends had the salmon over lentils, also good and the risotto with spiced pear and stilton, I didn't try, but he finished it all and liked it - my husband had the chilli squid salad with lime and chilli dressing which he really liked.

For desserts, the brownie was delicious as was the Eaton mess and the creme brulee was allright.

Very comprehensive wine list and good wines by the glass even...

All in all a good meal... the service was a bit slow though

Shish next door also looked interesting.

It's always fun to visit "that side" of the world - although if it wasn't b/c my friend lives there, we probably would not be discovering these places!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

cold soba,

Er.....STONE cold soba (oof, sorry) :unsure:

What am I missing here??

Stone cold soba.......stone cold sober?............as in not drunk?..........its a pun.........a liitle joke?..........God, I wish I hadn't.......... :wub:

AAAhhhhhhh!!!

I get it! Funny! Yes, it was funny!

But, erm, no, we were not, I was hitting the cold sake in the Bamboo size, the rest of them were on warm...

I can tell you it's a myth that drinking from bamboo cuts down on the hangover.....!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~