• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Times Annual Restaurant Roundup

hollywood

Every year about this time S. Irene Virbilia and her minions trot out an issue of the LA Times Magazine devoted to SoCal Restaurants. Having only glimpsed this online, it appears they've done a more comprehensive almost Zagat like job (given the listing of 300 places) this time around. In past years, the idea seemed to be to list a top 40 and some up and comers and note a few others of interest. It appears the reviewers have tried a little harder to dig for more than just the usual haute spots although outside of Japanese the coverage of Asian eateries, particularly Thai, seems scant. This is definitely an issue worth digesting. http://www.calendarlive.com/dining/cl-rest...0322jun22.story

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Any survey of Los Angeles area restaurants that gives Musso & Frank three paragraphs of it's own, and three paragraphs that capture M&F very well, stands as a good survey.

But Los Angeles as an area is too damn large! It sprawls over several counties, includes several major cities, and any list of "nearly three hundred dining spots" is too short to do the area justice. I commend Virbila and company for their efforts, but next time they'd better plan on publishing a book. A volume with about as many pages as the new Harry Potter should do it.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

.  I commend Virbila and company for their efforts, but next time they'd better plan on publishing a book.  A volume with about as many pages as the new Harry Potter should do it.

Oddly, she (Virbilia) seems to have avoided a book of reviews. You'd have to go back, I think, to Lois Dwan to find a Times reviewer doing a book on local restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

It was IMHO a poor paste and cut job by the publishers of the Times. No new reviews, just copies of old ones. And many, many ommisions. Including some of the best LA has to offer. Il Grano for one on SM in WLA. Neoppolitan cooking at its finest. Which is why you see the likes of chef Mori (Mori sushi) eating there. Axe is another on Abbot Kinney with fresh organic veggies and prime meats.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I'm pretty sure I saw a capsule review of Axe in the roundup... Anybody eaten there, by the way? The menu looks good.

It's been a while since I've eaten at Axe but it is good and the atmosphere is calm and Zenlike.

Also have not been in awile, but did like it alot when I did. For me it is more of a lunch place then diner although the food is serious enough for diner and the stemware is fine the lack of intamcy in the dining room just seems more daytime than night to me. However it is filled with groovy AD agency and T.V. Venice folks with the obligatory stunning 6ft models (both sexes). Missed review in Times story.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/