• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ice wines

I love ice wines! Anybody know the best places to buy it in Portland?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

You might try calling Liner & Elsen in Portland: 800-903-WINE. About a year ago I called a few Portland stores to see what they had in the way of BC icewines and was told that there were basically only two labels available in Oregon, one was Inniskillin and I cannot for the life of me remember the other one. When I was recently in BC some producers told me that they have a very hard time getting any wines into the Oregon market. It was never clear to me just quite why. I did bring back a pinot noir icewine, which I haven't tried yet, but am planning to this summer.

I usually go to Liner & Elsen too. Much knowledge. Pastaworks has a tendency to have unexpected odds and ends if one's handy too you. Until Jim Dixon chimes in with advice, his website may have something.

Edit because pasta usually has a t.

Edited by KNorthrup (log)

one. When I was recently in BC some producers told me that they have a very hard time getting any wines into the Oregon market. It was never clear to me just quite why. I did bring back a pinot noir icewine, which I haven't tried yet, but am planning to this summer.

Because the guberment is in charge of what alcohol is allowed here....

regards,

trillium

While I try to remain blissfully ignorant about wine (I'm in the 'I know what I like' camp, and in good company I discovered after finishing Jacque Pepin's The Apprentice last night), I also love ice wines and other late harvest, concentrated sugar, dessert-type wines (some of which go very well with non-dessert foods). My favorite local version is Andrew Rich's late harvest gewurztraminer, which most wine stores carry and runs about $20 I think.

I typically buy wine at New Seasons while grocery shopping, but if I want something special or just happen by, I go into Great Wine Buys on NE Broadway and 15th. Another place with a good wine section, including quite a few dessert wines, is (man, I hate to say it) Fred Meyers, or at least the one off Broadway around NE 30th. I think FM pretty much sucks for food, but when I'm there (like to pick up a prescription), I'll usually check the wine section to see what's on sale.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I keep looking at Great Wine Buys but I never go in. I really need to. I tend to cruise the wine aisle at Fred's too and oddly enough Albertson's as well. Tends to get me in a lot of trouble...I wind up witha full cart. It's one thing to be in a store where you have a bottle in your hand but when you have a cart...

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."