• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Englishman In New York

Andy Lynes

This group is way too dysfunctional to have a plan of that degree of specificity. My suggestion would be you PM lissome, get her number, and call around 8:00. There should be some hint of a decision by then regarding the bar-crawl itinerary.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Lissome -- you edited out the time you had posted before! :sad: I'm gonna just show up at your place sometime between 6:30 and 7, with some hummus and some bubbly (and HWOE, who can be quite amusing when he's not being pedantic), and whenever the Brit arrives, he arrives. How's that?

Okay, apparently I am to be the person in charge of Andy's well-being for the afternoon, so unless lissome objects I will be arriving at her place with him in tow at 7:00pm. Lissome, if you can confirm that, we will have an official party-start-time. Any other information (address, phone) you all should PM lissome for.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Since Lynes didn't appear to have two heads or a murderous gleam in his eyes tonight, I may try to hitch a ride in with him and the Perlows.

Don't make me angry, however. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Jhlurie, it's really not necessary for you to come. Andy and I will be just fine alone with all the pretty girls.

6:30 or 7 it is then.

:biggrin:

and Mr. Lurie you will be expected.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I'm working my butt off to get out by 6:30 pm, but I don't think I'm going to be able to cut it. (Hope springs eternal though.) We'll see though. Why is it that people expect the world to happen on Fridays and never during the middle of the week?!?!?

I have two distributions to do between now and 7 pm and I haven't gotten to the proofing yet. :sad: Time to sign off for now.

Soba

HWOE and I conked out about an hour ago. The party was still going on. In fact, Andy and Elyse had just come back from a beer run.

Lissome was a fabulous host, providing scrumptious octopus ceviche and tzatziki and a kind of tapenade au pistou and asparagus to dip in vinaigrette. And some terrific cold somen noodles. Somebody brought a variety of appetizing from Zabar's (I think) and there were many, many bottles of bubbly: cava, prosecco, Long Island, California, New Mexico; and other wines and beers and grapefruit-flavored Pellegrino. Great time!

Oops, I almost forgot: Someone (Ellen?) brought PEEPS! Special 4th of July ones, and Xmas ones, but all absolutely fresh and soft. :biggrin:

Hey Andy, thanks for the opportunity to get together. :wub:

HWOE and I conked out about an hour ago.  The party was still going on.  In fact, Andy and Elyse had just come back from a beer run.

Lissome was a fabulous host, providing scrumptious octopus ceviche and tzatziki and a kind of tapenade au pistou and asparagus to dip in vinaigrette.  And some terrific cold somen noodles.  Somebody brought a variety of appetizing from Zabar's (I think) and there were many, many bottles of bubbly: cava, prosecco, Long Island, California, New Mexico; and other wines and beers and grapefruit-flavored Pellegrino.  Great time! 

Oops, I almost forgot: Someone (Ellen?) brought PEEPS!  Special 4th of July ones, and Xmas ones, but all absolutely fresh and soft.  :biggrin:

Hey Andy, thanks for the opportunity to get together.  :wub:

grrrrrr. i was eating buffalo wings and drinking light beer. :angry::angry::sad::sad:

Lissome was a very fabulous host. Thank you Lissome.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Many thanks to lissome for her generosity and style.

Great to see everybody.

Same here, fantastic seeing everyone and many thanks to lissome for being such a gracious host!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

From whom?

Oh, him. The guy-who-wasn't-FG, sprawled on the couch when we arrived, having had a typical NYC food day of a great lunch, a personal tour by a noted restaurateur (who proffered more food, which of course he had to eat, just to be polite), and a walk through various food-packed neighborhoods in 90+ degree heat. The guy who looks way to young to be so knowledgeable. The guy who was a very gracious companion and charming conversationalist. Yes, him. :biggrin:

Yes. We should have offered him a summer wardrobe. BUT! Didn't he go well with the sofa?

How rude am I? Thank you lissome for your hospitality. Wonderful food.

And it was so nice meeting all who were there. Everyone who wasn't there...what happened???

Edited by elyse (log)

Fabulous party, many, many thanks to Lissome our gracious hostess. After the party we stopped at Kang Suh Restaurant to introduce Andy to bulgogi, yuke, and soju. We got back to the house around 1:40 AM. After a little tasting of Watermelon Ice Cream, it was off to bed.

Our visitor didn't awake until a wrong number woke us all around 9 AM. He's off for a day of museum hopping (thankfully the heat isn't as oppressive today). We're meeting him and some others for dinner in the city later tonight (sorry, the table's full). I promise he is alive and unharmed, just too busy to get on the computer.

Tomorrow the plan is Mexican Brunch in NJ (click to RSVP) and an early dinner in the Bronx. Andy expressed an interest in exploring Arthur Avenue. Unfortunately, most of the shops are closed on Sundays, with the exception of Madonia Bakery & Mt. Carmel Wines. So, it'll probably be just a quick window gazing tour then dinner at Robertos Restaurant. To see Fat Guy's post about Roberto's, Click Here. They are open from 4 -10 PM on Sundays and do not take reservations. Therefore, we are planning on being there when they open. That way we have plenty of time for a leisurely dinner before getting him to JFK for his flight home. If you would like to join us, please RSVP here so we know how big a table to ask for when we arrive.

Hey Andy, when are you leaving tomorrow?  Can you get to the Fancy Food Show for a bit?  It starts at 10 and goes till 5.  So I hear, there's an extra ticket floating around.

Elyse, I have a day planned out in NJ before I fly home so wont be able to make it. I am heading over to the Chocolate thing at the natural history a bit later this afternoon though. That should be quite fancy I hope. Looking forward to seeing Steve Klc work there.