• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pabst Blue Ribbon

vengroff

That's not what I hear.

You're still listening to those rumors? :wacko:

You mean the ones about the prisoner and the thong?

If you can get Uma to wear an eGullet thong for two days, I'll wear it to the Heartland paella cookout.

That's not what I hear.

If you can get Uma to wear an eGullet thong for two days, I'll wear it to the Heartland paella cookout.

If I could get Uma in an eGullet thong.....

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

That's not what I hear.

If I could get Uma in an eGullet thong.....

Or out of it . . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

hollywood and matthewb were clearly separated at birth.  clearly.  i feel that my title as "king of the meaningless post" is in danger.  time to regroup and rethink.

tommy, you're not thinking clearly today.

Your lordship is in no danger of losing any titles.

hollywood and matthewb were clearly separated at birth.  clearly.  i feel that my title as "king of the meaningless post" is in danger.  time to regroup and rethink.

We are not worthy.

We are not worthy.

Don't know that particular thong, but hum a few bars and Matthew B will thing it.

I talked to Uma about the thong and she burst into song.

It's the same old thong

But with a different meaning

Since you been gone

It's the same old thong

But with a different meaning

Since you been gone

I was at a backyard barbecue last Friday where I skewed the average age considerably upwards, and I was giving one of the typical Portland hipsters some good-natured shit about drinking PBR (we drank that shit back in the 70s, it's still pisswater, etc). So I was happy to see our fair city in the Times as the forefront of another dubious trend.

But the article didn't mention the real NW hipster beer, Olympia stubbies. They trigger another old fart diatribe about Oregon's bottle bill (the nation's first) and the beverage industry's claims that it would drive them out of business. I'll reminisce about the old days when all beer came in stubbies, and the bottles would often be cloudy from repeated trips through the bottling line (while the subject hipster is rolling his/her eyes and trying to slip away).

I've drunk my share of the industrial domestic beers. Luke warm Oly was only slightly worse than ice cold Blitz, and the economy beer of choice back in the day was Bohemian (quarts, 3 for a buck). But I've reached the point in my life where, if I can't have a decent beer (and none of that crap with fruit flavor), I'd rather drink water.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

But the article didn't mention the real NW hipster beer, Olympia stubbies. They trigger another old fart diatribe about Oregon's bottle bill (the nation's first) and the beverage industry's claims that it would drive them out of business. I'll reminisce about the old days when all beer came in stubbies, and the bottles would often be cloudy from repeated trips through the bottling line (while the subject hipster is rolling his/her eyes and trying to slip away).

I've drunk my share of the industrial domestic beers. Luke warm Oly was only slightly worse than ice cold Blitz, and the economy beer of choice back in the day was Bohemian (quarts, 3 for a buck). But I've reached the point in my life where, if I can't have a decent beer (and none of that crap with fruit flavor), I'd rather drink water.

Jim

What was the deal with the Little Oly? What were they, 6 ounces? You just had to open twice as many.

Bought a 30-pack of PBR last night for $9.99.

Just so you know.

What's the estimated finishing date?

Yesterday.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Something makes me a little sad when I think of PBR.  Reminds me of when my dad, a Northworst Air mechanic was on lay off because of whatever union's squabbles and he was economizing from his usual German import.  That was a long time ago now....

One of my favourite watering holes, Liquid, has a one weeknight only PBR special -- a shot of Beam served up neat and accompanied with a can of the swill.  (The table tents are everywhere around the whole place!)  The bar is patronized by a mix of yups, in the biz folks and the tragically hip.  The stuff sells!  I'll walk in and see everyone smiling, laughing, chatting and seemingly thoroughly enjoying themselves with a can of PBR in one hand....  I couldn't cave in, but it looked like fun!  Just the sight of a few of the prosecutors, bailiffs, an occasional judge and any other miscellaneous bunch of lawyers (the bar is near the majority of our courthouses), all suited in their Brooks Brothers best, complete with a can in hand.

Who would have thought?

here in philly, we have a bar that is probably the most famous bar special around town:

can of PBR and shot of Beam, $3.

PBR ain't bad, but it ain't Yuengling, my fav cheap beer.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Just so you know.

Yesterday.

Good work.

Thank you.

Noise is music. All else is food.

What was the deal with the Little Oly?  What were they, 6 ounces?

No, they're a full 11 or 12 oz beer...just short and squat, about the same size as a can.

Jim

I think we're talking about 2 different things. You are speaking of stubbies which I get to be barrel shaped bottles. I'm talking about Little Oly which was these little cans. Here's a description I found on the web (no picture): Beer Cans: Olympia Beer Little Oly 7 oz.

• 1 month later...

Just so you know.

Yesterday.

Good work.

Thank you.

We expect nothing less of you, Nero.

But, hell...thirty brewski, 9.99? That is some deal.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

PBR is a proven winner of awards back in its heyday. here is a blurb from their history:

----- start quote ---------

Prior to 1882, Phillip Best Brewing Company had received awards for their beer. In 1876, Pabst won both the highest awards for bottled beer and a gold medal. In 1878 at a Paris World’s Fair, Pabst again won more medals. In 1882, bottling became significantly important to the brewing business. When bottles were first used, these were generally plain and were not appealing to the public.

------- end quote ---------

Do any of y'all remember Red, White and Blue beer? It was even cheaper than PBR and in the thinnest cans I had ever seen.

It was the beer of choice in high school, as it was all we could afford (that and Mad Dog :blink: .)

It's really funny how, shall we say "bargain" beers are now the hipster thing. I believe some folks bought the old Rheingold name here in NYC and are trying that same approach. Which is actually too bad because a few years ago they tried re-launching Rheingold with the "original recipie" (who knows if it was) and it actually had a slightly hoppy character to it and was interesting. With the new "hipster swill" approach it seems like they've dumbed down the recipie again, plus they're now selling it in clear bottles which is absolutely HORRIBLE for beer since it'll go skunky quicker.

I wonder when someone in Maryland will try to revive National Bohemian?

I haven't seen anyone make mention of one of the main reasons behind Pabsts current popularity... the taste! It's got that bite... a bigger flavour than most other crap beers. Might be called "well-hopped" if you knew for sure that they actually used hops. I picked some up three years ago becaused i was suprised to find the beer my dad drank years ago on the east coast being offered at the local west coast grocery. Now, it's my prefered summertime picnic/bbq beer.... not ironic at all! Helps if it is ice cold. I don't believe marketing in any form can completely be attributed it's resurgence... it has to be palatable.

but.. i'd have to agree with another poster... if i could get Yuengling here in seattle for the price i remember it, I'd probably be drinking that.