• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sketch

According to TimeOut London (March 20-27 edition), Pierre Gagnaire has certain supervisory responsibilities with respect to Mourad Mazoz's new establishment, Sketch. It is to be located on Conduit St, with an expected debut around the end of May. This follows various indications re: Gagnaire's coming to London, as Andy previously reported.

Regardless of what Gagnaire's involvement ends up being, what a coup for Mazoz (assuming the accuracy of the TimeOut report)  ;)

Do members have any input on why Gagnaire chose to partner with Mazoz? I don't have any complaints against the latter, but the pairing has such an imbalance with respect to cuisine styles and the relative international reputation of the chefs.  ???

Andy -- Is Gagnaire sending certain members of his team from Paris over? Were some of the advertisements to which you referred for sous-chef or chef de partie? Are there rumors as to whether Gagnaire will be cooking, at least for an initial period, if not at all afterwards?

Cabrales - can't remember the exact positions being advertise for, I think it was staff, front and back of house at all levels but I'm not sure. Other than the linked Caterer article, thats all the info I have. As far as Mazoz goes, I think the two are chums and he's got a few quid tucked away.

• 1 month later...

I drove past the site today, builders still in situ and expect to be there for at least four weeks. There was also an informative article by Crista d'Souza in the current edition of British Vogue. Sorry, i don't have the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I walked past last week and the builders had no idea when they would finish and the place looked like a buidling site still, very little in the way of completed interior finishes etc, if at all in fact.

The following link should answer all your questions, if not I'd give the man a ring, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Worth a try isn't it? Say you're from eGullet.  I'd do it but I don't speak French. In fact I hardly speak English most of the time : click me baby one more.....time

lizziee -- Is there a related question as to how diners taking in meals at Gagnaire in Paris (or previously in St Etienne, although that is an arguably distinguishable context) view his cuisine?  In other words, what is this chef's cuisine, even before the question of collaboration with another chef and the different geographic location are taken into account?  :confused:

They are nuts.  At $184 per head for food, that makes the restaurant more expensive than Alain Ducasse New York ($165 for dinner), and that restaurant has not had an easy ride even in a city which likes throwing money around.  "Sketch" is a horrible name.  I couldn't figure out from the article what kind of food they will serve - I assume it is going to be from the Gagnaire side of the partnership, because no-one is going to pay that sort of money for Moroccan food.

Also, it sounds too big for Michelin three star service - 70 covers?  I may be wrong, and please correct me, but that seems significantly bigger than the average three-star dining room.  I have my doubts about this one.

Cabrales,

I think Gagnaire's own words best describe how people react to his cuisine,"You like it, you don't like it. It's good, it's not good."

I know you are in the camp that doesn't like it and I am in the camp that does. It is very hard to describe Gagnaire's food. Reading his menu is useless for his descriptions don't really translate to the plate. My own notes are somewhat useless as they don't seem to convey the marriage of flavors that he is able to create. The last time we were there we found his food more controlled and restrained, but equally as exciting.

From the article I gather Sketch will be a number of restaurants under one roof. The 45-seat fine dining restaurant called the Lecture Room and Library will be the expensive one and most likely the one that "will attempt to re-create, in spirit at least, Gagnaire's Paris restaurant."

In the June 2002 issue of GaultMillau, Gagnaire speak of his new adventure in London. His ''Brasserie nouveau genre'' like he describe it will have for chef: Grégoire Sein. Gagnaire state that he will not work there. This new restaurant will have an innovating design with music, video and exhibitions...

Patrice Demers

I contacted Momo regarding Sketch. When I asked what the anticipated date of opening for Sketch might be, the Momo receptionist indicated, after consulting with the manager, that no date could be provided. I also attempted to call the number for Sketch mentioned in Andy's Caterer article link -- no connection. :hmmm:

Square Meal notes the following: "A who’s who of modern designers has transformed the former Christian Dior premises into a dreamscape of glazed glass ceilings, inflatable banquettes, laser lighting and copper wall panels studded with Swarovski crystals. Dry clean your glad rags for the August launch. 9 Conduit Street W1, Tel: 0870 777 4488."

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/news/display_n...news.cgi?type=6

With prices as inflated as the banquettes it's clear that a high proportion of your bill will go towards paying for the design rather than the food on the plate. Since I am totally uninterested in the former it'll take food praise of the highest order to persuade me to pay this kind of money.

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard the opening date is the begining of August. From what I can gather the only real detailed info can be obtained from the PR - Elizabeth Crompton-Batt.

Jon & horton -- In The Observer's recent article on "Top Five Restaurants for Elegance", Fiona Beckett noted that "[p]lans for his [Gagnaire's] new London restaurant, Sketch, *due to open next month*, include dim sum-style trolleys where food will be served 'at different degrees of cold'" :hmmm:

http://www.observer.co.uk/foodmonthly/stor...,753629,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

An older article (Independent, June 23, 2002) indicated the following, regarding Sketch:

"It sounds madly, joyfully, overly ambitious but fun, with a 150-seat brasserie, two bars, a grand tea room (love it) and video art gallery, as well as a 70-seat restaurant under the innovative Gagnaire."

And another (Time Out, May 15, 2002; Fiona Sims on Sketch, sibling to Momo and London's biggest restaurant-bar complex):

"[O]perations director Michael Helling. . . . As well as the GBP 125-per-head fine dining restaurant called the **Lecture Room and Library,** there will be a 150-seat brasseriestyle restaurant called the Gallery, which will transform into a video art gallery by day; two bars [called East and West]; and a space called **The Parlour** that's a twist on a grand tearoom. We're talking 27,000 square feet. . . . [P]astry chef Annabelle Levrard is in place in the Parlour, with Simon Robinson behind the bar and Fabrice Reggiani lining up for maitre d'. Meanwhile **executive chef Gregoire Sein** and head chef of the Lecture Room and Library, **Pascal Sanchez** (both Gagnaire boys) . . . . The Gallery will be open from 7-11pm and will have a more palatable average spend of around GBP 35 a head. After service, it becomes a lounge bar (open until 2am) with resident DJs and a separate entrance for private members . . . . Or there's The Parlour, a 'mad take' on a Victorian parlour, which will serve tea, as well as breakfast and light lunches from GBP 15 a head . . . A final word about the design. Here's a taster: 'pod' loos designed by an Isle of Wight boat-builder; original 1970s bar furniture; Tomokil banquette-seating that transforms into chaise-longues when the music cranks up; Marc Newson-designed starter trolleys, dimsum style; a communal 'snake' table."

Sounds horrid. :wacko: