• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy Products in Japanese Cuisine

Jinmyo

my dairy product mashups include:

cheese yakimeshi

a pat of butter on toasted mochi with nori and soy sauce

cheese tempura

cheese mochi okonomiyaki

garlic paprika shiitake stir fried in butter

I'm sure there are more. I use clarified butter (ghee) as my usual cooking oil most of the time so butter makes it's appearance in many otherwise "traditional" dishes.

I don’t make it at home but I really like butter ramen as well.

The only place I have been able to find cheese that I consider edible is in foreign food shops. I haven’t had anything from a supermarket that I particularly enjoyed.

• 6 months later...
Hello everyone I was jus wondering is here any kind of Native cheeses in Japan and or China? thanks

I think the closest thing you are going to get to native cheese in that area is perhaps cheese or butter made from mare's milk in Mongolia. Tibetans also use butter and I believe milk from yak's, but I don't know if they make cheese.

Milk is drunk in both Japan and Korea and I know for a fact that there are no native cheeses in korea, don't know about japan but I'm sure it's the same for them as well. If either country eats cheese, its going to be imported from the west or "borrowed" from the west.

By the way, all of this is just coming from general knowlege meaning I didn't do any research. So if I'm wrong or if anyone would like to add something please do!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Cheese...no. Apparently dairy products appeared in Japan in the Nara period (I think) as health food for the super-rich. I don't recall any mention of cheese or even butter though it's a little hard to imagine that the concept of drinking/eat milk arrived in Japan without any knowledge of fermentation etc to preserve milk arriving with it.

What you have is milk fudge, called khoyA in northern India, mAwA in western India, and a sight to delight any Indian heart! :laugh: It is no exaggeration to claim that this stuff keeps India happy and functional; take it away, and within days, the country will have turned into a wasteland! Not kidding!

It is used in savory dishes, especially Awadhi Muslim cooking [from Lucknow], but its main use is in a range of long-keeping sweets, often flavored with saffron, almonds, cardamom etc.

Wonder if its appearance early in Japan's history carries with it the faint residue of Buddhism's cultural antecedents, Bodhidharma et al. ?

gautam

Edited by v. gautam (log)