• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cabbage

torakris

I have just found myself with 2 1/2 heads of cabbage and I need to do something with them.

My family all hate coleslaw so that is out of the question, normally I might try braising it but it is just too hot for that. We can have have some stirfries, but we will be eating them for a week before they are gone.

Any ideas?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sometimes when I am roasting capon or duck or some other fatty bird, I will shred cabbage very finely and toss it into the hot roasting pan on the stovetop to soak up the fat and wilt down a little. Throw in a little dry riesling and a scattering of caraway seeds. Take it off the heat while it is barely wilted and still crunchy. Great contrast to the fattiness of the meat. Of course, it may be too hot for roasting...

I would also think that some kind of shredded/wilted cabbage salad would be good in bibimbap.

--

Kristin, no coleslaw? Um. Really?

Have you tried a slaw with a lime and Dijon vinaigrette, shaved poblano chiles, shaved white onion, and lardons of double-smoked bacon on them? Anything like that?

No coleslaw?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

kimchi?

Not out of Western cabbage. Too tough. I've done it.

However, mixing shredded cabbage with kimchi to braise pork works well.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Kristin, no coleslaw? Um. Really?

Have you tried a slaw with a lime and Dijon vinaigrette, shaved poblano chiles, shaved white onion, and lardons of double-smoked bacon on them? Anything like that?

No coleslaw?

Jin have you ever tried to buy poblanos, white onions (they have about a 3 week season here), and double smoked bacon in Japan? :biggrin:

Maybe I will give something similar a try, it has to be good with bacon!

what do you shave the things with?

Kristin, a mandoline. The Japanese company Benriner makes an excellent and inexpensive version.

Gabure is a Basque peasant cabbage soup made with lamb shank and chicken stock, lemon, basil, and cinnamon.

There's the salad (I've seen Thai, Chinese, and Cambodian variations) where the cabbage is raw and thinly shredded and tossed with fresh basil and mint and green onions and minced green chiles and a fish sauce/lime juice dressing and peanuts and shredded grilled chicken.

That's nice but green cabbage can be a bit tough for this. If so, just blanch it.

For coleslaw, I finely shred the cabbage, add salt,

do the same for an hour or so.

add shredded carrot, jicima(if yo can find it kris), raisins, chopped nuts and a cooked dressing

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I like to dice a couple of strips of bacon, fry til crisp as you like it, toss shredded cabbage and onions into the pan, lots of black pepper, stir-fry til crisp/tender.

And I had some kind of cabbage once, shredded into baking pan, with some onions I think, covered with half and half, topped with buttered bread crumbs and baked til the cabbage was tender.

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

Then there's steaming it and tossing it with a satay sauce and roasted peanuts.

On Sunday I made a Malaysian style "coleslaw" with 1/2 a head of cabbage and mangos, in a coconut milk-nampla-hot chile sauce, it was absolutely incredible!

no one ate it except me and my husband, and he didn't eat much because he doesn't like fruit mixed with his food!

And I had some kind of cabbage once, shredded into baking pan, with some onions I think, covered with half and half, topped with buttered bread crumbs and baked til the cabbage was tender.

OMG that sounds good. I am still in love with my LeCreuset gratin pan. I can't wait to try this.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There is a lovely (and light) potato (fingerlings) /savoy cabbage gratin with sage along the lines of sparrowgrass' gratin in "Local Flavors" by Deborah Madison.

She parboils sliced potatoes and shredded cabbage separately, mixes them into gratin dish, pours whisked together eggs, milk and some flour, and bakes until browned.

Light? I dunno. Sounds good but I was going to substitute heavy cream for the half and half. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

no one ate it except me and my husband, and he didn't eat much because he doesn't like fruit mixed with his food!

mrs. tommy doesn't like "fruit with [her] food" either. baffling.

Cloying. Nasty.

If I want "fruitiness", I'll get it from chiles.

pity this isn't winter, cabbage is just lovely around that time of year.

stuffed cabbage

stewed red cabbage in duck fat with onions and bacon

and then there's stir-fried cabbage with pork (and all sorts of Chinese treatments)

not to mention cabbage that's been sauteed in some ghee with mustard seeds and other spices, and chiles, sort of like a dry-cooked vegetable that I sometimes like to serve with rice or chapatis.

and its great in soup

and then there's colcannon -- mashed potatoes, cabbage, butter and lots of cream.

*sigh*

I love cabbage.

Soba