• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rats

coughy

A search of the NJ forum should give you some info and past reviews. The relevant info:

owned by Steward Johnson, the artist and band-aid heir. located on the Grounds for Sculpture, in Hamilton near 195. The restaurant was disigned to resemble a ship/french chateau/village street.Named after the character in the Wind and the Willows. The gardens were designed to reproduce Monet paintings. In addition to the main restaurant, there is a Moroccan themed bar/casual eating area called the Kabal Kafe. Now some opinions: Eric Martin is a talented, well trained chef, with a great staff. Front of house is above average, with a few stellar exceptions, and a few not ready for prime time players. The food is wonderful, seasonal, and inventive, without being predictable OR over the edge. The bar is great,the martinis are wonderful,and the casual place makes a authentic tangine. Another opinion, I hate when people do that "K" thing with the word Kafe. Rats is not cheap. The wine llist is dreamy. :wub:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Rat's is the most beautiful restaurant in NJ. I was there last year for a press dinner and the following was the menu:

Amuse bouches of chopped chicken livers on toasted baguette

Lemongrass oyster soup (Veuve Clicquot, Burt, Yellow Label)

Salad of baby vegetables with truffle vinaigrette (Chassagne-Montrachet, Ruchottes, B.Moreau, 1997)

Confit of Arctic char with baby fennel, fresh herbs and caviar (Pernand-Vergelesses, Domaine Rollin 1997)

Mustard crusted rack of lamb with baby artichokes, roasted garlic flan and tomato Provencle (Schuetz Oles, Korte Ranch, Napa, 1999)

St. Marcellin

Elderflower sorbet with champagne

Dessert sampler: baked fig with chevre, mini chocolate souffle, cherry clafoutis and strawberries with tomato confiture (Vouvray, Moelleux, Phillip Foreau, 1997; Vintage Port, York Creek, 1996)

Phone: 609-584-7800

Be sure to a minimum of an hour to tour the Grounds For Sculpture, a 23 acre sculpture park that is unlike anything you have ever seen before. If you are having dinner at Rat's I believe that you can tour the grounds for free. Also, there will be a story about the Epicurean Palette to be held at the Grounds For Sculpture and Rat's on Table Hopping With Rosie 6/25.

Be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Depends on how many credit cards you have.

The restaurant is expensive. The Kabul Kafe is lovely but given a choice I would have dinner there. Leave time to have a cocktail on the terrace. Be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 7 months later...

Rat's is in Hamilton Township , not Hopewell. There is a bakery owned by the chef and owner, I think its called the Badger, in Hopewell Borough.

The benefactor of the Grounds for Sculpture is also the proprieter of Rat's.

A search for RATS without the apostrophe comes up with about 10 threads, this one seems the most basic and has contact info.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Well ... I just made a reservation for March. We'll be there at 7:00PM so, my question is, will my fiancée and I still be able to enjoy the grounds after dinner in the dark? Or should we visit the grounds before the dinner? What do you recommend?

Thanks

:Dave

:D

I've heard that their veggies come from their gardens/farm. Is this true? Does anyone know about the farm?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I suspect it will still be too cold and dark in March to do much walking..its quite expansive. However, there is an easily accessible patio area that is a quick loop with some interesting pieces. Your only hope is to go before dinner..its not conducive to heels, however..lots of cobblestone. The pieces in the patio area and pond are lit up. You might want to view this as a culinary adventure, then come back in later Spring to view the grounds.

The farm is in Hopewell township, I think off of Pleasant Valley-Harbourton Road, near the Hunterdon border.

I think Rats is in Hopewell and associated with the Grounds for Sculpture.

So squash wasn't that far off....

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

As to walking the "grounds" , go before or during or after. It's well lighted, bundle up, if necessary, and enjoy the experience that Seward Johnson has created for all to enjoy.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Had dinner there this spring, late for our seating because I was involved in an auto accident while trying to find the darn place. ANyway got there told the maitre'd why we were late which was probably about 35mins past our seating time. They put us in the Kabul room instead but the same menu as the main dining area. Waitress we were assigned was terrible.

Overall food was mediocre for the prices, don't recollect the specifics anymore but not somewhere I would return.

Edited by SG- (log)

• 3 months later...

My top 7 list for "NJ Restaurants I Want To Try This Year" in 2004:

Saddle River Inn

Moonstruck, Asbury Park

Mignon, Rutherford (1/31/04)

Frankie and Johnnie's, Hoboken (2/20/04)

Kinchley's Tavern, Ramsey (1/11/04)

Whispers, Spring Lake

Rat's, Hamilton (3/27/04)

My fourth stop was Rat's in Hamilton.

I know it's over a month late, but basically our meal was great (winter menu). I'd say – 9.0/10. We each started with green salads. I ate a perfectly cooked boar entrée; she ate a complex sea bass special. Each tasted great. For dessert we each had homemade ice cream. I forgot what we had for appetizers.

The steal of the night was that hot "bread" they cook. It was unbelievable – like something I've never had. They only came around like three times with it, which was totally teasing. I could've eaten it all night.

I do remember that service annoyed me*. I was told after I ordered my meal that I've made a good choice. I was also asked (while chewing) how everything thing was. This was shocking. Besides that, everything else was great.

Rat's is really a must-do for somebody who's never been there. The grounds alone are worth the drive from Monmouth.

I'll attempt to make this spring's menu. Hopefully, then, I'll be back with a second, more detailed and better review. Hopefully, at that time, we'll get a more seasoned server.

* I don't like it when somebody comes to our table and asks us questions during our meal. Just go away and let us eat … if I need you, I'll look at you. And if I made a good choice, that's wonderful – just go put my order in. This is a drawback, however acceptable at TGI-Friday's.

• 6 months later...

Its time to reactivate this thread.

Went last night with some Rat's/Grounds for Sculpture virgins.

Lovely late Fall early evening walk through the Grounds to stimulate the appetite.

I had a "new" style sashimi of Hamachi (very fine and topped with shredded red radish) and Diver scallops that were super.

PM had Foie Gras terrine that was a bit too chilled but very flavorful and Lamb Loin.

Finished off with a shared dessert of Crepes Suzettes that could have been a bit thinner and were quite flavorful.

Wines: Panther Creek Pinot Winemaker's Cuvee for PM and our friends; I had a Monpertuis CdP Blanc for the walk; Dinner Coudy Bay Pinot, 2003 from Marlborough NZ, everyone raved; ordered a bottle of Coturri Zin to follow (CORKED) and then had a bottle of Ridge Zin Pagani Ranch 1999 that was drinking beautifully; finished off with a glass of Vin Santo; our friends shared a Maury with their Chocolate dessert.

All in all a wonderful evening at one of NJ's best restaurants.

They will be announcing the "new" chef de cusine in the near future.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

• 4 years later...

Rats has been around for a long time and although we dine out often we have never been there. It is/was rather expensive and formal.

There use to be, still may, a restaurant within Rats, Kabul Express, I think, and we dine there several years ago. You had to walk through Rats to get to Kabul.

For anyone who does know the area Rats may be difficult to find.

Good luck to the Starr Organization.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf