• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onigiri

BON

• 3 weeks later...
Mia insisted I take a picture of her onigiri (purchased, not made...)

gallery_6134_549_5874.jpg

tsukune onigiri-- chicken patty with a teriyaki like sauce and a dab of mayo with a bit of nori, she said it was really good. :biggrin:

...this is why I fell in love with this forum. Reading every past post has me starving for onigiri and a desire to try some new techniques. Made a version with shrimp tempura (tail sticking out of the top) - what my proper mom would call 'truck driver style' for my husband. He loved it.

I make mine with water and salt on my palms and steaming hot rice (ow, ow, oww!!). Mom always made the barrel shaped onigiri (which appears to match with Hiroyuki's map), so I do the same. But now after seeing all of these beautiful pics and ideas from everyone, Thanksgiving may be looking a little less like turkey...

Made a version with shrimp tempura (tail sticking out of the top)  - what my proper mom would call 'truck driver style' for my husband.  He loved it.

You mean tenmusu?

Here's a picture of them:

http://www.grappee.com/recipe/tokai/mise/tenmusu.html

Barrel shaped? How cute! Do post a picture some day. :biggrin:

Hiroyuki - yes! I have seen pictures and again, had to improvise because we never had them growing up. Then again, onigiris are simple creatures as long as the rice is good. I will post my barrel onigiris the next time I make them, although I should make my mom do it. She ridicules my technique and would be sure to send all her friends here to laugh at my onigiri...like all good home cooks :wink:

Torakris - already figured out a replacement for pumpkin pie (kabocha steamed cake) and some kind of stuffing-seasoned mochi was floating around in my head a few weeks ago. However, now I'm wondering about trying the stuffing-seasoned thing with onigiri and then grilling it. Then for the turkey substitute, I'll try the houtou. :blink: ..clearly, I need to go to bed

• 2 weeks later...

If your onigiri are getting soggy, either you are doing something wrong or your rice is way too soft. What kind of onigiri are you making?

When refrigerated the rice starts to harden, so it is best to keep them at a cool room temp.

They would really be best made fresh in the morning.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks for your replies

The kind I like to make is triangular shape almost fully wrapped in nori sheet

but because onigiri are made with hottish rice there is steam that escapes and I leave a little window until they cool off and refrigerate until thew morning. My kid leaves on a school bus at about 7.30Am and I have already gone to work at 6.30AM

yes yes that is the correct assumption helenjp

I'll try that suggestion for my boy lunch pack he loves rice in all shapes and forms I often send him off to school with arancini but onigiris are healthier snack

I agree with Helen, it sounds like the nori is getting soggy.

When I make onigiri, I let the rice cool a bit before even forming the balls, easier on the hands! :biggrin: I then let the rice ball cool down even more before wrapping. I don't like the way nori gets when it has been stuck to a rice ball for a couple hours so I either don't add it or I wrap the nori seperately and the kids wrap the onigiri when they eat it.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

I bought some onigiri yesterday at the local japanese grocery store. There were tons of different flavors so I of course had to buy 1 or 2 of each. I tried one with umeboshi paste (am I saying this correctly?) and it tasted sooooo yummy. Its the first time I have had umeboshi and it tasted like salty jam, I loved it!!!

I noticed that the onigiri I had was made with untoasted/unseasoned seaweed. Can you make onigiri with the seasoned/toasted seaweed that is typically used to roll sushi or kimbap? I imagine that it would be more crumbly, but I love the taste of the sesame oil on seaweed.

any suggestions would be great, thanks :biggrin:

I also realized that I shouldn't have bought so much, because they all have to be refrigerated. There is nothing worse than refridgerated rice!!!

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I noticed that the onigiri I had was made with untoasted/unseasoned seaweed.  Can you make onigiri with the seasoned/toasted seaweed that is typically used to roll sushi or kimbap?  I imagine that it would be more crumbly, but I love the taste of the sesame oil on seaweed.

mmm, me too. there is a really good kalbi onigiri for sale at 7-11 here that uses korean style nori. I have used korean syle nori to make onigiri before and I did't have any problems.

first time to try umeboshi paste?! you should order umemaki next time you are at a sushi restaurant. I love umeboshi onigiri :biggrin:

first time to try umeboshi paste?! you should order umemaki next time you are at a sushi restaurant. I love umeboshi onigiri 

It was my first time trying umeboshi period! I have heard mix reactions on it, mostly bad :hmmm:

I think it's one of the best new things I have had in a long time.

regarding nori, are japanese style onigiri wrapped in unseasoned laver? If so, at least it's less messy that way (no greasiness from the sesame oil).

(edited because I just had lunch) I made a grilled onigiri and stuffed it with both: soy sauce soaked bonito flakes and chopped up radish tops from radish kimchi. I then brushed the outside of the rice with a mixture of soy sauce, miso, egg yolk, and sugar. then I wrapped it up with some korean seaweed. I'm sure this sounds like a weird combination, but oh my god did it taste good.

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

regarding nori, are japanese style onigiri wrapped in unseasoned laver? If so, at least it's less messy that way (no greasiness from the sesame oil).

Yes, Japanese onigiri are almost always made with the unseasoned seaweed. As you say, it's less messy, but the use of Korean seaweed makes for a tasty variation.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in a long, long time, I actually took the time to make some dashi from konbu and katsuobushi. It made me wonder if okaka can be made from the used katsuobushi. Or is it supposed to only be made with katsuobushi in its fresh (dry?) form. Maybe soggy katsuobushi with shoyu would taste really bad! :unsure: It seems like a waste to use all of those flakes for just a minute and then toss it all in the garbage! Also, when making okaka, is it really just katsuobushi and shoyu or are there some other ingredients added as well?

For the first time in a long, long time, I actually took the time to make some dashi from konbu and katsuobushi.  It made me wonder if okaka can be made from the used katsuobushi.  Or is it supposed to only be made with katsuobushi in its fresh (dry?) form.  Maybe soggy katsuobushi with shoyu would taste really bad!  :unsure:   It seems like a waste to use all of those flakes for just a minute and then toss it all in the garbage!  Also, when making okaka, is it really just katsuobushi and shoyu or are there some other ingredients added as well?

I think unused katsuobushi is used to make okaka, and I also think only soy sauce is added to katsuobushi to make okaka.

You can make tsukudani and furikake with used katsuobushi, as described here (Japanese only).

Edited to add: This person uses used katsuobushi to make okaka. She puts it in a small pot to dry it, adds soy souce, and then adds white sesame seeds.

http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~k-bajil/A5_23.htm

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

• 2 months later...
This is another page of Gourmet Ranking, which I mentioned in another thread:

http://guriuri.com/ranking/ranking.asp?ID=16&TNO=625

Question:  What are your favorite onigiri ingredients?

Top five:

Sea chicken (tuna) with mayo

Mentaiko (spicy cod roe)

Salmon

Umeboshi (pickled plum)

Tarako (cod roe)

The quetionnaire is still open.

Hey Hiroyuki?

Im making Sea Chicken Onigiri tonight, HOWEVER, what else do you put in it besides mayo?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

This is another page of Gourmet Ranking, which I mentioned in another thread:

http://guriuri.com/ranking/ranking.asp?ID=16&TNO=625

Question:  What are your favorite onigiri ingredients?

Top five:

Sea chicken (tuna) with mayo

Mentaiko (spicy cod roe)

Salmon

Umeboshi (pickled plum)

Tarako (cod roe)

The quetionnaire is still open.

Hey Hiroyuki?

Im making Sea Chicken Onigiri tonight, HOWEVER, what else do you put in it besides mayo?

For me, sea chicken plus mayo only.

Mmm, now I want to walk to the store for onigiri! I don't read Japanese, so it's always a crapshoot, but the 7-11 closest to me has little English notes written on their onigiri rack.

My favourites are tuna with mayo, a salty kind of small fish egg, and salmon.

Though I do miss Spam musubi. That's some tasty stuff!

I have a silly question.

The Japanese food store nearby sells onigiri. I just bought one for the first time (have never tried one before!).

How should I store it until I'm ready to eat it? Refrigerate, or room temp?

Thanks!

(just getting into Japanese food other than sushi/sashimi) :smile:

V