• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh Recommendations

I live in Edinburgh, so I can give you a few suggestions. What type of food do you like/dislike and what do you mean by pretentious (my definition of that would most likely be different).

For French Bistro type food I like:

Le Petite Folie (61 Frederick St), seven quid for three courses at lunch, about fifteen quid for dinner. It is very simple, but good French bistro fare.

Petit Paris (38 Grassmarket), more upmarket then the former (still un-pretentious) and better food, still of the Bistro level. Still cheap.

Daniel's Bistro (88 Commercial Street, Leith). Food of Alsace, with Scottish twist. I like it, but come hungry and don't expect many Veggie options.

There are lots of other choices, maybe you could give me a bit more idea of what you are looking for (ie. Would you like to go to an "ethnic" Scottish restuarant or something else?).

If you like Indian food, I had a terrific meal at Kalpna, a vegetarian Indian restaurant on St Patrick's Square, just off Nicholson Street, last time I was in Edinburgh. Cheap too.

We tried to get in to Martin Wishart's in Leith - my Edinburgh-based friends say it's fantastic, probably the best restaurant in town - but it was full. Will save it for next time.

Adam - while walking around Edinburgh earlier in the year I noticed a new-ish French place, southwestern in outlook, on the street that goes under North Bridge on the Old Town side (Jeffrey Street? Market Street? Can't remember). Do you know the place? Menu looked interesting, but didn't have chance to try it out.

cheers

Adam

cheers

Adam

Adam - while walking around Edinburgh earlier in the year I noticed a new-ish French place, southwestern in outlook, on the street that goes under North Bridge on the Old Town side (Jeffrey Street? Market Street? Can't remember). Do you know the place? Menu looked interesting, but didn't have chance to try it out.

Adam - sounds like "La Garrigue" on Jeffrey St., which although newish, has been getting some good reveiws, but I haven't been there myself. Will have to try it. MW is very much cheaper for the Lunch option (three courses for less then twenty quid).

Adam - La Garrigue, that's the one. I recall wandering past, noticing that the place hadn't been there the previous time I'd been past, crossing the road to look at the menu, and one of the staff zooming out to give me a business card (I gave the card to the friends with whom we were staying). I thought it looked good.

I'll have to try it next time I'm up that way (probably a couple of months).

cheers

Adam

i like le cafe st honore, just off george st, looks like a very typical french bistro serving decent food. Not sure of the cost on an evening as i've only been for lunch but find it a convivial spot for drinking a bit more than planned! 0131 226 2211. Another spot i had a cheap lunch in was cafe marlene, virtually opposite C st H., seemed to be run by 2 women one cooking, one serving. Simple 3 choice hand written menu. good food and certainly unpretentious.

you don't win friends with salad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm going to the fringe for a week in August. Last time I was in Edinburgh (earlier this year) we went to Martin Wisharts (excellent) and Stac Prolly (or Prolly Stac, can't quite remember) which was ok. We'll definitly go back to the former...but am keen to keen to get any other recs.

It has been so long since I was there I can't remember if places tend to do pre theatre menus (or whatever the fringe equivalent would be ;-) ) and if that might be a good idea. Also, would probably like to linger over lunch rather than eating at night....

So, any recs appreciated, also on perhaps some less fine dining establishments as i think it's going to cost more than two weeks in the maldives at this rate.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I like Kalpna, a vegetarian Indian place, just off Nicholson Street. Been there several times, always eaten really well, dead cheap. I admit to being pissed the last time I was there, but I've been equally pleased with the food when sober :wink: Long-time GFG entry. The dosas are terrific.

Edit: that would be Stac Polly I believe - anglicisation of Stac Pollaidh, a mountain in Sutherland. The mountain is terrific, but I've never been to the restaurant - it looked a bit like a Scottish theme park from the outside.

Adam

Edited by AdamLawrence (log)

cheers for those suggstions guys. i've dug out a few other places so i'm just planning it now. oddly enough, edinburgh seems to have four mexican places, so i'm going to try those in the vain hope that somewhere in the uk can serve good mexican food.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

• 3 weeks later...

Tarka

I am up there on business in a couple of weeks. Can you let me know what other places you have rooted out, which would be worth going to ?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

B

Emoticon at the top is how I am still feeling after last night

Hey Tarka

As promised last night, here are my suggestions for Edinburgh (though of course, I take no responsibility if you don't like them :biggrin: )

Cocktails - Borough on Mayfield Road. Is actually a hotel but has a very good cocktail bar. You can also eat there, but we never have, so I don't know what it is like for that.

Italian - Gennaro in the Grassmarket. A nice, cheap and cheerful italian restaurant. Don't stray from the pizza or pasta and you'll do fine.

French - Petit Paris (I think) also in the grassmarket, basically two doors down from Gennaro's. Again very nice, actually run by french people, good authentic cuisine, be warned, it is quite samll and therefore doesn't require too many people to be packed.

While in he grassmarket, go and see Isobel at the Cooks Book Shop (owned by Clarissa Dixson Wright, who occasionally is in residence). Say John sent you. Fantastic bookshop which I used to frequent very often.

Kalpna always gave me wind (just be warned)

None of the mexican restaurants are worth the money you pay for them :angry:

Blue moon cafe does an excellent full breakfast (the gut-buster really lives up to its name) and also a good selection of lunchtime meals. Can also get very crowded, so get there early to get a table.

Umm, thats about all I can think of right now, but if any more comes to me then I'll be sure to let you know.

John

We're planning to eat at the Tower (0131 225 3003) and Scalini (0131 220 2999) and I got chatting with two ex-Edinburgers last night (David and Jonathan who have kindly promised to add to this thread with all of their excellent suggestions........) and it seems there are a few more places they can suggest.

I won't steal their thunder by adding their recommendations just yet, but I will say they've warned me off the Mexican places ;-)

There's a place called The Witchery which keeps cropping up on my searches. It's been around for ages (in fact, the resturant I worked at in Edinburgh (now sadly gone bust) was ran by ex Witchery staff who really put me off. This was 10 years ago though...) and has a reputation as a "romantic restaurant"

Let me know how it goes.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

The Witchery is very atmospheric, but the food is strangely old fashioned and very expensive. For the kind of money that you will spend there, there are many other better restaurnats in Edinburgh. But for ambience it does get 9/10.

Martins (70 rose st, north lane 0131 225 3106) is a good place for lunch, down a back st but fairly central. Lots of fish but also a very serious cheeseboard. been there years and very reliable.

i also like le cafe st honore (34 nw thistle street lane eh2 1ea 0131 226 2211) www.cafesthonore.com. I really like this place very convivial, solid french bistro food, very authentic decor, not massively expensive from memory.

on thistle st (i think) is 'Marlene' it is virtually opposite the road Caf st h is on. A small restaurant handwritten short menu and wine list but decent french-y food good value

for a decent curry try the indian cavalry club 3 atholl place eh3 8hp 0131 228 3282, quite decorous for a curry house but decent food in interesting surroundings.

one over-rated place it the tower restaurant, nice views but food a bit lacklustre for the money, pretentions above its station.

edit: i've just seen your post re the tower!

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

edit: i've just seen your post re the tower!

my "research" has consisted of googling and there doesn't seem to be a single reliable info source on edinburgh. and i'm a sucker for marketing speak...

lots of ideas seem to be coming through now though so i am prepared to cancel all plans at the drop of an egullet hat :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Cafe St Honore is indeed a good restaurant. Not really cheap, but also not too expensive. They do a pre-theatre, apres-cinq menu 5-7pm.

The Vintners Room down in Leith is excellent as well. Very rich French stuff available there. I could barely walk out the door last time I was there. A bit more expensive, but very reasonable by metropolitan standards.

Petit Paris is decent for honest and cheap French scran.

As well as Kalpna, there's another very good veggie indian (Gunjarati?) place across the road from it called Ann Purna. Of the two, it's the one I prefer. Both are very affordable.

Valvona and Crolla's cafe/restaurant is well-worth a visit for lunch, and they may be open during the evening during the festival as well.

Plaisir du Chocolat in the Canongate is pretty damn good if you're a chocoholic.

I've heard the Tower is over-rated as well, though I've never been. I think it's owned by the Witchery people.

PS

Edinburgh

I currently live in Edinburgh and thought I might add my 2 cents worth:

Plaisir du Chocolat is fabulous! Go there for afternoon tea and you won't be disappointed. Fantastic individual brioches and homemade raspberry jam that is to die for.

I just discovered a new favorite Indian haunt: Suruchi on Nicholson Street opposite the Festival Theatre. They do wonderful tandoori and chicken jalfrezi and the service is always friendly. The menu written in Scots can't be beat for entertainment value.

Also, for Indian is a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Namaste in West Preston Street. It's a tiny space and the service can be a little slow if they're busy (I watched our waiter run down to buy some diet coke for me at a nearby All Days, after I ordered) but the food is worth it.

For reasonable lunch, if you don't mind sub-terraean dive-like surroundings head to the City Cafe on Blair Street just down from Hunter Square. They do a terrific lamb and rosemary burger with grilled apple chutney for about 6 quid including chips.

I'm a student and too poor to know anything about The Witchery or Stac Polly, but I definitely agree that people should steer clear of Mexican. While not hideous, it just seems wrong.

Hope this has been helpful!

Bee

"Sweet Melinda's" has wonderful food and is situated next to the best fishmonger in Edinburgh, so their fish dishes are rather good.

"Kalpna" for Veg. Indian

"Namaste" for another interesting Indian selection (meat this time).

"Nargile" in the New Town for some of the most interesting food I have had in the UK. It is Turkish, but not as we know it Jim. The Mezze selection is particularly recommeded.

"Le Petite Foile" in the New Town again for cheap, honest family run French Bistro type food.

"Petit Paris" for slightly more expensive, but still cheapish French Bistro fare of a high standard.

A "Toastie" (toasted sandwiches of high quality) from the "Bow Bar" in Bow Street, plus a whisky and a half of real ale.

Deep fried haggis pudding from a fish and chip place.

Avoid "The Tower" at all costs.