• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh Recommendations

last time i was there i had a great lunch at valvona and crolla (their new place) i think dinner there would be equally good, and not too pricey

check out www.valvonacrolla.co.uk but don't linger in the deli too long or you'll soend all your money before you know it!

I've still not quite made up my mind about V&C's Vin Caffe. Overall, it's pretty good (the wines and desserts especially), but each time there's always something slightly disappointing about it. Trying to think of examples... The first time I went, they had venison stew in a tomato sauce with potatoes. The sauce was wonderfully vibrantly tomato-y, but the venison was really dry. It would have been great if they used beef, but I think they were going for a Italian-Scottish combination. I think I may be being a little harsh as on other occasions I think I've just suffered from selection envy, where my fellow diners have picked something better than my choice!

But, hey, I keep going back (been there four or five times now) so I guess I must like it really.

They usually have a couple of seafood options as well as the decent desserts, so that should cover all bases, persiancook.

Edited by PS (log)

PS

Edinburgh

I walked out of he new branch on sunday. I went in to but a sandwich to take out and after being ignored for a few minutes I went and asked a staff member if this was possible. She looked vague and uninterested, and when I inquired price said "The prices are on the door". Very poorly trained and if V&C had any competition for this store they would struggle.

The staff at the original store are very pleasant and helpful and when we pointed out he the oil they were using to cook the breakfast items in was rancid they thanked us.

Preferably seafood. Or great dessert. Thanks a lot.

Any suggestions for finding affordable cashmere would also be appreciated.

Can't help with the Cashmere but seafood shouldn't be a problem.

Sweet Melindas next to Eddie's Seafood market on Roseneath Street (do they still have a pay what you feel it's worth Tuesday?) has been covered in previous posts but is usually very good. The fish, and especially the seafood at La Partenope on the Dalry Road near Haymarket station is excellent (and despite the recent extension usually full so you will need to book). Leith has loads I can never remember which one is best (the one round the corner from the old Pierre Victoire, probably, but getting the phone number based on that information may be a problem), Fishers has a branch in town and is central-ish (Thistle Street), but I’ve never been totally convinced, and it’s not particularly cheap. The Mussel Inn on Rose Street does what it says on the label (and scallops if you don’t like mussels), and there is a new steak and mussel joint next door to where the Cook's bookshop used to be on the corner of Grassmarket and Victoria Street (more a bend than a corner). On the desert front, not sure but Plaisir du Chocolat on the Mile do great cakes and are about to open something (not sure what) in the food hall of Harvey Nichols (whos restaurant did a very nice assiette of strawberries including a fabulous one with basil when I was in earlier in the week).

Off topic somewhat, well totally really, I noticed in the Herald (Glasgow variety) that David Ramsden he of the deep voice and cowboy boots from Rogue and (Fitz) Henry’s is now involved with Monster Mash one of those sausage, mash and gravy, Formica tables and ketchup bottles shaped like tomatoes ironic retro places presently on Forest Row but ‘rolling out’ in Glasgow and Rose Street, Edinburgh. I also noticed a teaser advert in Scotland on Sunday for a new Tony Singh venture that gave the impression of being either pan Asian or at least Indian sub-continent in cooking style, I recall one of the chefs at Oloroso winning Tommy Miah’s International Indian chef of the year at one point so there may be a link? But if anybody know any details about eitheplease start a thread.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I was in Edinburgh at the weekend, but sorry Persian Cook, I didn't go for seafood or great dessert, so will just do a topline update for the thread:

I had booked the restaurant at Harvey Nichols (for the view) but discovered that there is only a 3 course menu, so switched to the bistro, as we wanted something light. They had a 2 course light lunch for about £17. This place is definitely not about the food (goats cheese tart = a piece of chevre on top of a round of puff pastry, confit = crisped skin but dried to death, stringy meat), and I really don't think the space is that great either. But the Harvey Nicks own brand champagne is good (a girlie weekend) and the service was very pleasant too.

La Garrigue was the venue for dinner on Saturday night, which we really enjoyed. This is very authentic, honest, French food and the chef clearly cares deeply about what he cooks. It's rustic rather than sophisticated. I particularly liked the soupe de poisson, although would have preferred a more fiery rouille (accepting that his version may be typical of the Languedoc region and my preference is Mediterranean). His confit was nothing short of perfection (a beautifully crisped skin with wonderfully succulent and tender meat underneath); and his cassoulet, robustly earthy and satisfying. We also had a saddle of rabbit which was served stuffed, rolled and sliced in a light broth with some vegetables. It was extremely good, although I did find that the vinegar and dill came through a little bit too stridently. The service was competent and friendly, indeed, the people who run this place are exceptionally nice. If you are going, ask for one of the tables by the window, or on the LHS as you enter, as the tables on the right are somewhat under the shadow of the enclosed lift shaft.

Thai Me Up (the local food critics had promised), is an offputting name but a good restaurant. I wouldn't agree. The name says it all. I had booked here in the absence of anything else being open on a Sunday night (although Centotre will be opening on Sunday from August). It is a lovely room (no Thai pastiche) in a Georgian building, and our first impressions were very good. As there were 4 of us, we went for the set menu for a minimum of 3 people (at £24 per person). I have no idea why a minimum number of people was required, as there was nothing exceptional or of a real 'cook to order' nature. This, I accept, was a lazy choice to save us trawling though the menu, but as it was the more expensive of the set menu options, I expected it to be reasonably good.

Unfortunately, apart from the hot and sour soup (not exactly rocket science), nothing stood out. For our starters, we forraged through the excessive padding of lettuce leaves for unexciting morsels; and for the mains, the overuse of peanut butter was all too obvious and only served to reinforce the absence of the light floral, herby, fragrance I associate with Thai food. Not a light touch in evidence. Added to this, I realised half way though my meal - as I uncomfortably struggled with a fork and no knife - that there were no chopsticks on the table, and I had to ask twice to get some. It may sound silly, but I think that Eastern food is infinitely better eaten with chopsticks, and frankly, their absence is worrying. Unfortunately they did little to lighten the half hearted food and when a plate of lukewarm, congealed noodles were served, we simply had to return the dish, wishing that we could return the lot without ruining the congenial atmosphere of our eveining. So, a big thumbs down to this place for its small servings of lack lustre, lazy food.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

Added to this, I realised half way though my meal - as I uncomfortably struggled with a fork and no knife -  that there were no chopsticks on the table, and I had to ask twice to get some.  It may sound silly, but I think that Eastern food is infinitely better eaten with chopsticks, and frankly, their absence is worrying.  Unfortunately they did little to lighten the half hearted food and when a plate of lukewarm, congealed noodles were served, we simply had to return the dish, wishing that we could return the lot without ruining the congenial atmosphere of our eveining.  So, a big thumbs down to this place for its small servings of lack lustre, lazy food.

As far as I know the Thai have never traditionally chopsticks, either hands or conventionaly cutlery being normal, but the food I agree is pretty dull and very expensive for what it is.

La Garrigue food was OK, but it failed the "Don't mop the damn floors with bleach before I have finished my meal" test.

HN has delivered one of the nastiest dishes I have eaten (my partners meal was very good though).

Sweet Melindas I like for the fish that isn't all seabass, but not sure it fits the University budget. I think my last meal there was ~ £90 with booze (but maybe I drink too much).

Added to this, I realised half way though my meal - as I uncomfortably struggled with a fork and no knife -  that there were no chopsticks on the table, and I had to ask twice to get some.  It may sound silly, but I think that Eastern food is infinitely better eaten with chopsticks, and frankly, their absence is worrying.  Unfortunately they did little to lighten the half hearted food and when a plate of lukewarm, congealed noodles were served, we simply had to return the dish, wishing that we could return the lot without ruining the congenial atmosphere of our eveining.  So, a big thumbs down to this place for its small servings of lack lustre, lazy food.

As far as I know the Thai have never traditionally chopsticks, either hands or conventionaly cutlery being normal, but the food I agree is pretty dull and very expensive for what it is.

Chopsticks are used in Thailand, but only for eating noodles.

Otherwise, it is usually a spoon, or one's hand.

... the only thing was, there was a table of Thai people (seemed like family) using chopsticks, so I'll blame them for leading me astray! Now that I think of it, I had actually been using my hands until the mains arrived and it was at this point that I picked up the offending knife and fork. Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Edited to add:

Adam, how was the Thai restaurant that you went to?

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

... the only thing was, there was a table of Thai people (seemed like family) using chopsticks, so I'll blame them for leading me astray!  Now that I think of it, I had actually been using my hands until the mains arrived and it was at this point that I picked up the offending knife and fork.  Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Edited to add:

Adam, how was the Thai restaurant that you went to?

The restaurant was "Muang Thai" (Hanover street). I have been here several times now, and while some dishes have been disapointing, I have had by far the best Thai dishes in Edinburgh here as well. No the most exiciting decor either, I'm not really bothered by this. A disapointing dish was the mussels as they were frozen New Zealand greenlips -no excuse for this in Scotland, good dishes were the lap/larb and the prik dishes. Some really heat in these. I also like the fact that the curries are (as far as I am able to judge) correctly made. The red curry is rich with coconut milk, the jungle curry is coconut milkless, rather then having a choice of some halfway bastard versions like many of the other places in Edinburgh.

Corinna,

You must have had a bad night at Thai Me up. We've been many times and even on Saturday night in the heart of the festival the food was superb. Why should you be using chops sticks? It's not a Chinese place.

The many many critics are not wrong on this place. It has consistently been in the List Hit List.

You are entitled to your opinion, but others reading this should definitely not be put off.

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

I accept your point Dellis453, and I am more than happy to have my one negative experience balanced by the opinion of one who has been there many times. Personally for me though, life is too short to give some places a second go, and "Thai Me Up" falls into that category for me. But then, I do insist on using chopsticks, so perhaps my comments should be taken with a grain of msg! (Just joking... I don't want to upset anyone!)

Useful as the List is, it is hardly the most critical paper. I have yet to see a bad review yet and some of places in it should be razed and salted.

Grr agree!! Booked 'The New Bell' on the basis of the reviews, and because it was close to a show venue. Set menu was £23, just £1 less than at Kensington Place back home (which is now superb once more) and they have the cheek to put on 4 options for which you have to pay extra! Food was nothing to write home about and we got sniffed at for ordering the house white. Decor was what you'd expect from above a pub.

Atrium, on the other hand, was superb, despite them having to 'play safe' as the maitre d' put it for the Festival crowds. Anyone else had the 'cheese wine'?? :biggrin:

Sarah

• 2 months later...

friends and I had a v good dinner at Santini's in Festival Square, just by the Sheraton hotel. The air dried ham and cheese which accompanied the bread at our table was particularly good. My starters were venetian spiced scallops on pork belly (sliced wafer-thin and fried to a crisp) and cauliflower puree. Scallops were tender and succulent, and overall a very delicious mouthful. Mains of chicken with pesto risotto and zucchini and tomatoes also hit the spot as did my chocolate dessert. We were in the main restaurant - very glamourous looking room (although some of the girls were left facing a very peculiar shot f a bikini-clad woman on the kitchen wall ...)

Lunches were good too - at the old favourites of Cafe Florentin and the Fruitmarket Gallery.

All in all, a very good weekend of eating ..

Yin

• 2 months later...

You will find the Edinburgh thread here: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...99&hl=edinburgh. I had a very good meal in La Garrigue in the summer (great cassoulet), and Jan Moir gave it a serious thumbs up in the Telegraph about a month ago.

....not strictly in Edinburgh itself, about a 15-20 minute drive away is La Potiniere in Gullane, East Lothian...run by Mary Runciman and Keith Marley. Ms Runciman cooks brilliantly but is exceedingly shy so you wont be seeing her on TV.

Sorry realise my original message only had half the information in it! I'll try again.

Breakfast: Olive Branch - Just off city centre

http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/edinburg...4,wolive+branch

Lunch: Urban Angel - Fairtrade, organic and really delicious food (esp. home made icecream)

http://www.list.co.uk/restaurants/edinburg...34,wurban+angel

Dinner: Martin Wishart - one of two Michelin starred restaurants in Edinburgh

http://www.martin-wishart.co.uk/entrance.html

Do have the tasting menu!

The Scotch Malt Whisky society has a great restaurant - you need to be a member to attend, but we could help I am sure http://www.smws.co.uk/venues/queen_st.php

Lots of great food stores to visit too. Let me know if you need more info.

Danielle Ellis

www.discoverthetaste.com

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

The Monster Mash Cafe in Forrest Rd by the University looks like a great breakfast desintation. They also do huge tray-baked pies and various types of bangers and mash with sausages from Crombies, an award winning Edinburgh sausage maker (according to the website). It's quite basic and maybe a bit too post modern for its own good, but how cannot you not love a cafe that offers copies of the Beano rather than the Daily Mail for its customers to read.

I also hear good things about Mussel and Steak in Grassmarket which serves,um, seafood and beef.