• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh Recommendations

I think its going to be called 21212. Something to do with menu set up. You wouldn't get fed up having to say that on the phone constantly!!!! Never went to Juniper but isn't this the chef who cooks with weetabix n the like? Does anybody know if he is going to continue using brekkie cereal or is it a new start with new (proper) food!

I think its going to be called 21212. Something to do with menu set up. You wouldn't get fed up having to say that on the phone constantly!!!! Never went to Juniper but isn't this the chef who cooks with weetabix n the like? Does anybody know if he is going to continue using brekkie cereal or is it a new start with new (proper) food!

Oh dear :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Bit of a write up in the scotsman about Paul Kitchin's new gaff.

http://www.scotsman.com/latestnews/Micheli...t-of.5174806.jp

I thought he was'nt bovverd about stars, but he wants to be the first in Edinburgh to have 2. Fair enough. BTW, crap name for a restaurant.

I really rate Paul Kitching.

He was sitting outside on the step between Juniper and the chinese? as we left.

Clearly some time ago now.

He was interested to know what we thought

He had to dash in and out the kitchen to finish off a few of the meals, because service was still ongoing.

We had a great chat in between his frantic dashes

What a fantastic guy

Just shows how confident he is, by changing everything on a daily basis.

I wish Him and Katie every success, they deserve it.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I thought he was'nt bovverd about stars, but he wants to be the first in Edinburgh to have 2. Fair enough. BTW, crap name for a restaurant.

Fantastic, I'd heard a rumour that he was quietly postponing the opening given the crumbling economy, I'm glad to see that it's all still going ahead.

Does anyone have a phone number for booking? Directory enquiries are drawing a blank and there's no sign on the interweb...

Fantastic, I'd heard a rumour that he was quietly postponing the opening given the crumbling economy, I'm glad to see that it's all still going ahead.

Does anyone have a phone number for booking? Directory enquiries are drawing a blank and there's no sign on the interweb...

Been looking myself, nothing yet.

They may go for a soft opening, just to see everything is working ok.

Just checked on flights, BMI baby do a Midlands one for £55 return, need to book soon though at that price.

Fingers crossed some details are forthcoming, sooner rather than later.

@d_goodfellow1

Been looking myself, nothing yet.

They may go for a soft opening, just to see everything is working ok.

Just checked on flights, BMI baby do a Midlands one for £55 return, need to book soon though at that price.

Fingers crossed some details are forthcoming, sooner rather than later.

I might just take a wander by the site to see if anyone's there who has an idea, I'll let you all know if I find anything out.

In other Edinburgh news, the wine merchants Corney and Barrow are hosting a tasting and dinner at Prestonfield with the Lebanese guru of Chateau Musar, Serge Hochar. It's on the 11th of May if anyone's interested.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant news!!

The opening is without doubt 20th May.

Had confirmation, and great news of my table a deux, hopefully looking into the glass fronted kitchen.

As you can tell I'm thrilled to bits, looks like May is going to be one of our best foodie months yet.

Just can't wait, counting the days,

Thank you Paul and Katie, and special thanks to Su.

See ya Soon.

@d_goodfellow1

That's the 21212 press release just out:

The official opening date of Michelin-starred chef Paul Kitching’s new restaurant 21212 has been confirmed as Wednesday 20 May 09.

For Paul it’s the culmination of his dream to set up 21212 and run it in his own imitable style. When it opens in the third week of May facilities will include three luxury bedrooms, a 38 seater restaurant, bar, reception area and private dining. In terms of contrasts it’s night and day in comparison to their eponymous restaurant Juniper. The listed Georgian townhouse over four floors is light, spacious and airy whereas Juniper was an onstreet property which was a former an estate agents. The couple and their business partners* have invested £4.5m into the project and have been heavily involved in restoring the elegant townhouse to its former glory since inception and although they have retained many period features they primarily wanted to transform the restaurant into a 21st century environmentally friendly restaurant.

A glance at the menu carefully constructed and considered by Paul shows that he is staying true to his modern French style of cookery which he championed at Juniper but with a more grown up approach to his menu combinations. For £60 per person the dinner menu consists of an exciting combination of dishes prepared by Paul and his team of eight chefs, which includes his sous chef from Juniper Kate Johnston. The five course gourmet menu consists of a choice of two dishes on the starter, main course and dessert courses, hence the restaurant’s name. The lunch menu priced from £20 per person offers diners the flexibility to choose from a 2, 3, 4 or 5 course menu. It’s also a marked departure from other restaurants as there won’t be a separate a la carte or taster menu – just a well thought out combination of exciting flavours for each course.

When asked about the vibe of his new establishment and his hopes for the future he advised. ‘When we left Juniper we were looking for a new challenge. Edinburgh where we had spent some considerable time in the past was the ideal place for us and Katie who is originally from Scotland has been a delightful tour guide and we have been enjoying exploring the city and the rest of Scotland together in what little spare time we have had over the past couple of months. To new diners coming to the restaurant that are unfamiliar with my style of food I don’t have a uniform style of presentation on the plate and my dishes are a composition of flavours that make the whole dining experience. In the past I have been called experimental but I would say that my dishes are intricate, feminine, interesting and vibrant in colour and they are delicately assembled with a build up of flavours. Each course is made up of a variety of components that could be represented in isolation but I think that new diners will find the food interesting and seasoned Juniper regulars will find our new venture a refreshing take on his original style and one that they will enjoy. For us as well as the food – it’s always been about the whole dining experience so from the décor to the added extras in terms of to the service it’s about our style and attention to detail and we think that will shine through’.

Bookings are now being taken on reservations@paulkitching.com and from 27 April phone reservations can also be made for the restaurant and bedrooms – on 0845 22 21212**. Bedrooms, which are priced from £250 per night can also be booked. 21212 will open five days a week –Tuesday through to Saturday for lunch and dinner with meals served between 12.00 -1.45pm and 7.00-9.30pm.

That's the 21212 press release just out:

The official opening date of Michelin-starred chef Paul Kitching’s new restaurant 21212 has been confirmed as Wednesday 20 May 09.

For Paul it’s the culmination of his dream to set up 21212 and run it in his own imitable style. When it opens in the third week of May facilities will include three luxury bedrooms, a 38 seater restaurant, bar, reception area and private dining. In terms of contrasts it’s night and day in comparison to their eponymous restaurant Juniper. The listed Georgian townhouse over four floors is light, spacious and airy whereas Juniper was an onstreet property which was a former an estate agents. The couple and their business partners* have invested £4.5m into the project and have been heavily involved in restoring the elegant townhouse to its former glory since inception and although they have retained many period features they primarily wanted to transform the restaurant into a 21st century environmentally friendly restaurant.

A glance at the menu carefully constructed and considered by Paul shows that he is staying true to his modern French style of cookery which he championed at Juniper but with a more grown up approach to his menu combinations. For £60 per person the dinner menu consists of an exciting combination of dishes prepared by Paul and his team of eight chefs, which includes his sous chef from Juniper Kate Johnston. The five course gourmet menu consists of a choice of two dishes on the starter, main course and dessert courses, hence the restaurant’s name. The lunch menu priced from £20 per person offers diners the flexibility to choose from a 2, 3, 4 or 5 course menu. It’s also a marked departure from other restaurants as there won’t be a separate a la carte or taster menu – just a well thought out combination of exciting flavours for each course.

When asked about the vibe of his new establishment and his hopes for the future he advised. ‘When we left Juniper we were looking for a new challenge. Edinburgh where we had spent some considerable time in the past was the ideal place for us and Katie who is originally from Scotland has been a delightful tour guide and we have been enjoying exploring the city and the rest of Scotland together in what little spare time we have had over the past couple of months. To new diners coming to the restaurant that are unfamiliar with my style of food I don’t have a uniform style of presentation on the plate and my dishes are a composition of flavours that make the whole dining experience. In the past I have been called experimental but I would say that my dishes are intricate, feminine, interesting and vibrant in colour and they are delicately assembled with a build up of flavours. Each course is made up of a variety of components that could be represented in isolation but I think that new diners will find the food interesting and seasoned Juniper regulars will find our new venture a refreshing take on his original style and one that they will enjoy. For us as well as the food – it’s always been about the whole dining experience so from the décor to the added extras in terms of to the service it’s about our style and attention to detail and we think that will shine through’.

Bookings are now being taken on reservations@paulkitching.com and from 27 April phone reservations can also be made for the restaurant and bedrooms – on 0845 22 21212**. Bedrooms, which are priced from £250 per night can also be booked. 21212 will open five days a week –Tuesday through to Saturday for lunch and dinner with meals served between 12.00 -1.45pm and 7.00-9.30pm.

Well done Ross.

Did your cheeky smile work?

Are we going to meet up on the opening night?

Not far off is it really?

@d_goodfellow1

Success, I've got a table on the opening night as well! The cheeky smile still works (despite being surrounded by chubbier cheeks and greying hair)...

Let me know if you want to convene for post prandial congacs to compare notes David.

Your on!

Should be a totally brilliant night

Oh hurry up May,

Just can't wait!

@d_goodfellow1

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder whether anyone would like to sound off about their current favorites? 

Sure! Great everyday spots that I cross town for include Hanedan, a Turkish restaurant on the southside of town. We invariably eat mezze and then grilled things. Cheap and lovely.

Cathrine, you just made me very "homesick", if I can say so. I lived in Edinburgh for 7 years (have now been back to Estonia for 2,5 years). Hanedan opened during my last year in Scotland, and I was a frequent visitor there (living in Marchmont, it was close by). I've been back to Edinburgh twice since then, and have never failed to visit Hanedan :)

I wrote about it on my blog back in 2006, too. Glad to hear it's still thriving!!!

I wonder whether anyone would like to sound off about their current favorites? 

Sure! Great everyday spots that I cross town for include Hanedan, a Turkish restaurant on the southside of town. We invariably eat mezze and then grilled things. Cheap and lovely.

Cathrine, you just made me very "homesick", if I can say so. I lived in Edinburgh for 7 years (have now been back to Estonia for 2,5 years). Hanedan opened during my last year in Scotland, and I was a frequent visitor there (living in Marchmont, it was close by). I've been back to Edinburgh twice since then, and have never failed to visit Hanedan :)

I wrote about it on my blog back in 2006, too. Glad to hear it's still thriving!!!

What a lovely picture of the chef - another nice thing about this place is that this is what you see as you come through the door, his grill is right there in the front room of the restaurant.

C

• 2 months later...

we had a quick visit of edinburgh last week and decided to try one of the vegetarian indian restaurants, we decided to go for ann purna on the day as the menu sounded more interesting to us than kalpna.

wanting to try as many dishes as possible we went for both the thalis. I though the food was ok, not great but not bad. perhaps this is because I can compare it to Prashad in bradford where the food is made by the queen of vegetarian indian dishes. ann purna in comparison was a bit bland with the exception of the dahl which was really tasty.

I might also have been influenced by the terrible service, it took over 90 minutes to receive our food, no explaination except a quick "we're short of staff" as the waiter (who was generally quite slack, taking ages to take orders bring drinks etc) finally brings the food out. I think by this time I was (amazingly for me) starting to lose my appitite. No wonder they feel the need to add a 10% service charge (the waiter did take this off the bill when we complained about the wait, perhaps preempting the argument)

I wouldn't revisit ann purna in my rare visits to Edinburgh, though I probably wouldn't if I did live there as I'm sure better indian food can be found in the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, going the festival, to perform in the Fringe for a Fiver (plug warning: name of the show is Que?, it's funny and different and great, come and see it, ok that's enough now), and need some recommendations to get me (and several impoverished fellow comics) through a few weeks. So think ethnic or the Scottish produce-driven equivalent of St John or Tom Ilic...

I've trawled through this thread, but not really found anything other than a slight taming of my desire to go to 21212. I probably will, as I never made it to Juniper, and everyone I know who had the mixed fortune of living near Altrincham said they liked it.

But there must surely be a good sub-Continental place or two? And perhaps even a reasonably authentic Chinese?

There's The Dogs in Hanover St and it's Italian themed sister joint (A)more Dogs, also Hanover Street. There's also Centotre in George St, but it's not necessarily the cheapest.

I'd also suggest you venture to Leith, Marchmont, Stockbridge and Newington if you're looking for good local joints - most places in the City Centre (both Old and New Town) are mediocre, rather expensive or completely packed during the festival.

But there must surely be a good sub-Continental place or two? And perhaps even a reasonably authentic Chinese?

As for Sub-Continental, there are normally half eaten sausage suppers trapped beneath the many Bentleys you'll find in George Street.

You can use that in your show, no charge either.