• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh Recommendations

i'm off in a few weeks for the festival and would like any recent suggestions on dinner for saturday evening.

so far oloroso and kitchin seem interesting; however neither convinces me wholeheartedly. what i do like about kitchin (from the menu) is the lean towards scottish produce...any true edinburgh instiutions which are worht a visit?

there will be 6/7 of us and we want to have one good dinner that week-end.

thanks!

-che

i'm off in a few weeks for the festival and would like any recent suggestions on dinner for saturday evening.

so far oloroso and kitchin seem interesting; however neither convinces me wholeheartedly. what i do like about kitchin (from the menu) is the lean towards scottish produce...any true edinburgh instiutions which are worht a visit?

there will be 6/7 of us and we want to have one good dinner that week-end.

thanks!

-che

Just back from a few days in Edinburgh and had the tasting menu at The Kitchin. It actually turned out to be one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Absolutely spot on in produce and cooking skill. Service flawless and wine matching unbelievable. One of the dishes really blew me away, it was 'Sea Urchin from the East Neuk of Fife served as a soup with razor fish and clams', the soup being served in the shell of the urchin with the razor clam shell as the spoon: truly sublime.

I would say book The Kitchin now Che as during the festival things will be pretty booked up. I will write a full review soon.

The Kitchin is superb - I had the tasting menu with wines there a couple of months ago and it was probably the best meal I've had in Edinburgh. Local produce, expertly cooked, nicely presented, good wine choices.

Oloroso is highly over-rated in my book - it's okay, but absolutely not anything special. Tony Singh's other place, Roti, is much more interesting - indian cuisine at a high quality restaurant standard.

Number One at the Balmoral is reliably good but not, to my mind, spectacular.

PS

Edinburgh

• 3 weeks later...

Just come back from a few days away staying at friends just outside Edinburgh. Didn't get any where high end, but a couple of places worth mentioning.

Monday evening we went to Queens Spice indian in South Queensferry, a very good friendly indian. I have been before on previous trips, always good. We had a drink afterwards next door in Orocco Pier, a trendy bar/hotel with a terrace that gives you a excellent view of the two forth bridges.

Tuesday, had lunch in the Ship Inn in Elie, accross the water in Fife. The Fife coast is lovely, with lots of pretty fishing villages. Lunch was good, I would not say its a 'Gastropub', but a pub that serves good food, if that makes sense??

In the evening I met up with my cousin and his girlfriend in town and had a meal at Montheiths, on the high street. I had a very tasty pork belly dish and a crumble for afters (not very hot?) A fair priced meal, quirky interiors, I would go back. I did not plan it well, meal on the high street in the middle of the festival! Doh, place was packed!

Weds went into town, lunch was had at the dogs, on hanover street. It was excellent, cheapest lunch I've had in Edinburgh. Bread, 2 mains, 2 drinks for me, 1 glass of wine, 1 1/2 giraffe of wine £26. The cooking is very 'homey' I had a sort of sausauge casarole, very tasty, can't remember what the other had? Total blank....will edit if I remember, full of a cold at mo. The Dogs is really good value, the staff were really friendly too.

Weds evening we went to Norton House, near the airport as my friends had a voucher to use. Ate in the brasserie. Smart place, I had a chicory salad with mozerella and parma ham (which was brittle??) that was a bit boring, followed by salmon with cous cous, very pleasant. Dessert was treacle tart. Bill came to £200 for 4 of us, so not cheap, Norton House has a fine dining restaurant too, I saw it had 3 rosettes, no main under £20. But its quite corporate, as its close to the airport, lots of air stewards/pilots, lots of blokes in suits with expense accounts. We had good evening though.

Then on the way home we passed though Dumfries and Annan, stopped in the local hotel in annan, not worth egulleting! But it filled a hole. But I am keen to try the Linen Room in Dumfries, bit far to go for lunch for me, but what the hell!

um, so there you go. I'm off to drown myself in Lemsip.

Edited by spanielking (log)

Anyone heard anything about Paul Kitching and his missus (ex Juniper)?

They are looking for a site in Edinburgh apparently.

The latest report online appears to be this March piece from caterersearch:

"Michelin-starred chef Paul Kitching is to launch a new venture in Edinburgh after his departure from his current restaurant Juniper in Altrincham, Greater Manchester.

Kitching and partner Katie O’Brien, who are leaving Juniper after 12 years, told the Manchester Evening News they plan to open a hotel-restaurant venture in the Scottish capital and gain a second Michelin star.

Backed by a private investor, the venture will be called Hotel Angela, after Kitching’s mother who passed away five years ago.

The couple are currently looking at three possible sites in Edinburgh’s Georgian New Town and plan to launch a six to eight bedroom property with a 35-cover restaurant serving classic food."

Anyone heard anything about Paul Kitching and his missus (ex Juniper)?

They are looking for a site in Edinburgh apparently.

The couple are currently looking at three possible sites in Edinburgh’s Georgian New Town and plan to launch a six to eight bedroom property with a 35-cover restaurant serving classic food."

Pretty sure they're still living in Manc. They;re in the local pubs often enough.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

"Anyone heard anything about Paul Kitching and his missus (ex Juniper)?"

"Pretty sure they're still living in Manc. They;re in the local pubs often enough."

No doubt you have seen them entering such establishments on the way to your Bible meetings Bertie. :smile:

Edited by Bapi (log)

• 1 month later...
Location of Paul Kitching's new restaurant has now been confirmed as No 3, Royal Terrace.

An interesting location, a couple of doors down from an office I set up ten years ago. And ironically it's but a few yards from the old Bronx Diner, arguably the worst eating establishment I've ever had the displeasure of being in, thankfully now closed.

It will be most welcome for residents of the Glasshouse hotel, where there is nowhere to dine in the evening, except in chain restaurant such as Pizza Hut of the adjacent Omni Centre cinema multiplex.

Cheers, Howard

• 1 month later...

Certainly they are 'the' places, along side Number 1 at the balmoral, all * places. Also look at Wild Sorrell, other half went there to check it out, its in the old town. Is the home of the chef who got busted for beefing up his CV a bit! I was told it was very good though. Also the Atrium is good, and for something a bit different (and a bit out of town) the Glasshouse at Eskmills.

We are heading to Edinburgh and wanted to go to The Kitchin but it is closed. Any recommendations for the next best? Is it Martin Wishart?

Bad luck - we had an excellent meal at The Kitchin last Friday.

As it happens we had hoped to go to Martin Wishart ourselves, but we left it too late to book. Although we haven't been there ourselves, Martin Wishart is definitely still on our "must visit" list, so if you can I would suggest booking there.

Martin Wisharts gets the nod everytime, followed by No 1. I honesty cannot see the fasination of the Kitchin. Had an absolutely terrible experience there earlier in the year. The worst of it was my partners awful lamb, which had been murdered and the puddings, well I wish I taken my own along! We were so peed off with the place, that we stomped our way back to our hotel, in the rain, which was three miles away. In my opinion, Kitchin is completely overhyped and overated. Is it a case nowadays that the more media hype a place gets, then the better it must be? Why do so many people buy into this nonsense? Im sure I will be in the minority here but frankly if a meal is bad, then its bad, regardless of the pr.

Martin Wisharts gets the nod everytime, followed by No 1. I honesty cannot see the fasination of the Kitchin. Had an absolutely terrible experience there earlier in the year. The worst of it was my partners awful lamb, which had been murdered and the puddings, well I wish I taken my own along! We were so peed off with the place, that we stomped our way back to our hotel, in the rain, which was three miles away. In my opinion, Kitchin is completely overhyped and overated. Is it a case nowadays that the more media hype a place gets, then the better it must be? Why do so many people buy into this nonsense? Im sure I will be in the minority here but frankly if a meal is bad, then its bad, regardless of the pr.

but one bad meal (in your opinion) doesn't necessarily make it a bad restaurant.

(no axe to grind, never been, thought about it and prob will at some point)

you don't win friends with salad

Did'nt ever say it was a 'bad' restaurant. My point was that somehow because of the hype it gets, its now THE place to be, over very geniue and class establishments like Wisharts. I've been to both. Wisharts was so good that following a dinner there, went back for lunch the next day. How many places can you say that about. At the minute, its almost like 'whats in fashion this season' when it comes to restaurants and food. Maybe Im old fashioned or naive but its reasurring to know that when you go to the likes of Wisharts, the chef is 9 times out of ten actually cooking and he has resisted the temptation to sell his soul to the media.

Maybe Im old fashioned or naive but its reasurring to know that when you go to the likes of Wisharts, the chef is 9 times out of ten actually cooking and he has resisted the temptation to sell his soul to the media.

The evening we were at Kitchin the chef was busy in the kitchen (there's a window into the kitchen so we could watch what was happening). I have no idea whether this was an atypical evening.

gallery_6638_1334_67110.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. We have booked Martin Wishart for a long, long lunch - I assume they do full ALC and Tasting, we will check. Interestingly dinner was already full 6 weeks in advance (and no, not for NYE).

Next question, recommendations please, for good but inexpensive meals. A good curry (Roti?), a steak (The Grain Store?), and decent pubs (good beer).

We are also stopping at the Star Inn in North Yorks on the way up so don't need another top feed.

Maybe Im old fashioned or naive but its reasurring to know that when you go to the likes of Wisharts, the chef is 9 times out of ten actually cooking and he has resisted the temptation to sell his soul to the media.

The evening we were at Kitchin the chef was busy in the kitchen (there's a window into the kitchen so we could watch what was happening). I have no idea whether this was an atypical evening.

I've been to the Kitchin three times now - One Friday dinner, two midweek lunches. On each occasion I and my fellow diner had an excellent meal (better, in my opinion, than the several - upwards of seven - meals I have enjoyed at Number One at The Balmoral, a restaurant that I rate). And on each occasion Tom Kitchin was in the kitchen.

Still, that's not to say that every meal and diner's experience is going to be faultless. Each to their own. Out of interest, how was the lamb murdered? I had one of the best pieces of lamb I've tasted in a long time at The Kitchin. The puddings were pretty tasty as well.

PS

Edinburgh

I am certainly not being harsh in anyway. Obviously there are loads of Kitchin fans on this site, so it seems I was one of the unlucky (truthful) ones. I could say it was fab, but it wasn't. It was a disappointing meal. What more can I say? Dare I say it, but I just couldn't see what the fuss was about. It may not be popular but I stand by everything I say on my experience here. The rump of lamb in question had to be returned to the 'kitchin' as it was badly overcooked. Not gonna stop the world spinning but it wasn't right. As for the pudds we had, they were very plain jane. Apples that were supposed to be crisps weren't, blahh blahh, As I recall the chef on GBM was pulled up on his desserts. Maybe the judges they were being harsh!

I also feel Wisharts is definately more the real deal. Some of the food we had was simply outstanding. For my money Wisharts should have two star status. Some may disagree but thats why restaurants are so subjective. Still love you Tom!!!!!

i'm not disputing that you had a bad meal, i'm just puzzled that you think it's down to media/pr/tv etc that has built kitchins reputation? he's got a good background with koffman , got a star (fwiw) and garners many good reviews, and other than GBM i'm struggling to see what he's done , he hasn't done a book i don't think?

you make out like he's ainsley harriot!

i had a shit meal at the fat duck many moons ago and wild horses wouldn't make me go back but i wouldn't stop anyone from going and i wouldn't say it's a bad restaurant , built on pr etc i just didn't like it.

as i said i have no axe to grind, i've never met tom, eaten at his place or anything. it's just the joy of the internet that you can have lovely circular arguments all day :laugh:

Gary, one last time, its NOT a bad eatrie, he's NOT a bad chef, Im NOT stopping anyone going, I haven't likened him to 'ready steady toss'. The place just didn't do it for me, which you seem to find hard to accept. The gaff has recieved absolutely tons of PR, through the trade press which is great for them. My argument goes further than the Kitchin, its the whole media celeb on the telly chef thing. Can we put this one to bed now, its more knackering than a service this!!!!!

Gary, one last time, its NOT a bad eatrie, he's NOT a bad chef, Im NOT stopping anyone going, I haven't likened him to 'ready steady toss'. The place just didn't do it for me, which you seem to find hard to accept. The gaff has recieved absolutely tons of PR, through the trade press which is great for them. My argument goes further than the Kitchin, its the whole media celeb on the telly chef thing. Can we put this one to bed now, its more knackering than a service this!!!!!

hey, you started it :laugh:

Surely time to take a step back and realise we are having an argument, sorry discussion, about who is the best Michelin starred Chef in Leith, something your could have got astronomical odds on eight years ago when Wisharts had two people in the kitchen, one competent front of house (hi Cecile), and the leftover staff and cutlery from an Italian restaurant, oh and £14 house wine made by somebody’s relative (hopefully not Martin's) - they could do with bringing the latter back I say.

So well done Wisharts for starting it and Tom Kitchin for upping the ante by providing a realistic, and excellent alternative . Can’t wait for Paul Kitching to be up and running, and hope some others see where the bar is now set and go for it, although sadly judging by the message here http://wildsorrelrestaurant.com/ you’ll need to get the talk: trousers ratio right, which is a shame as yet again the food was getting great reviews – pity it appears to have closed before I got a chance to try it.