• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Press release from Network London advises that A-Z have opened their 13th restaruant in Holland Park. Edera's head chef is Max Cotilli previously of Rosmarino, L'Oranger and Teca (all of which belong to A-Z). The menu, which costs £19.50 for 3 courses for a set lunch or a la carte dinner, includes Lobster Bruchetta with Melon Jelly, Pappardelle with artichoke and black truffle, olive-crusted red seabream with fennel confit and spiced roast pineapple with ginger ice cream.

Wines start at 13.50 for a Verdicchio and there will be 13 by the glass.

Design is by David d'Almada (anyone heard of him?) and features a split level dining room with hardwood floors , sandstone and russet walls and terracotta, olive and pumpkin banquettes and chairs. A private dining room and some outdoor seating is also available.

Edera

148 Holland Park Avenue

W11

020 7221 6090

Yes, I have been to Edera for lunch, but hesitated about saying so because I can't remember exactly what I had; bad! I did have a main course of plaice wapped in very thin slices of potato and baked in the oven which was very enjoyable in an everyday kind of way. The restaurant sounds very nice from Andy's PR description, but the reality is quite boring. It is a long, narrow shape like a regular shop outlet and has been fitted out very cheaply. All the staff were a bit grim and tense but perhaps because they had only opened a few days earlier. Generally, it seemed to lack heart or a real reason for being there - except as another addition to the A to Z group. Its not even as nice as Timo, which isn't very nice these days. Edera for locals only, perhaps.

• 1 month later...

went to edera - new place from a to z lot (zafferano, aubergine, timo etc) - last night.

pretty bloody fabulous. nice place, already really busy; not over-decorated; brilliant, helpful, knowledgeable staff; and quite excellent, rather adventurous (lobster bruschetta with melon jelly) scoff.

brilliant pan-fried veal sweetbread with toasty, buttery roast gnocchi, marsala and little shavings of black truffle. and a clever pork fillet dish with balsamic sauce and a little savoury apple strudel.

i liked.

m

(although simon will probably hate it ... :raz: )

sorry, remiss of me.

148 holland park avenue (used to be a couple of other short-lived places, one a mauritian, i think)

tel: 7221 6090

two courses: £16.50

three: £19.50

four (our greedy option): £22.50

i can also recommend the spiced roasted pineapple with ginger ice-cream!

m

Went here on Friday for dinner. The room is long and narrow, quite dark but with good sized and well spaced tables. OK, rant out of the way first. We were sat next to a food critic (can’t remember his name - tall, fat, floppy hair, 50 odd) who couldn’t wait to get his notepad out for everyone to see. Unsurprisingly, the waiter’s were around him like bees round a honey pot offering him the specials which they never offered to us - 3 youngish not smartly dressed, very un-Holland Park types - recommending wine which they never did to us etc. When they brought over the breads and some fabulous olive oil, I wanted to make note of the name of it so I got out a scrap of paper to write the name down. Cue – floppy haired critic eyeing me suspiciously and complete change in waiters treatment of us, hmmmm.

Anyway, as circeplum said the menu is £16.50- £22.50 with some supplements for the more luxurious items. The breads were served the aforementioned fantastic olive oil called Col D’orica.

I started with Stuffed Squid with parsley salad. The squid was tender and stuffed with pureed aubergine and olive and served with a well-dressed piquant parsley salad that was a perfect foil to the squid. Pig’s Head terrine with prawn was superb, the terrine was moist and succulent and really tasty, wasn’t too sure about serving with prawn but my husband said it went well together. We also tried the chicken carpaccio that I had reservations about – raw chicken anyone? - but it was also very good.

For main I had roast loin of pork with apple strudel – bloody fantastic. The pork was the tenderest piece of pork I have ever eaten. It was grandly presented with a lattice of crispy potato piled high on top – Atkins hell but nevertheless delicious. It was also served with a little puddle of pureed potato, the apple strudel (which was more like stewed apple between two layers of filo pastry) and a little slice of black pudding - divine. Others had Rump and Shank of lamb with semolina gnocchi and John Dory with aubergine and tomato, both excellent.

For puddings the men had Caramelised peaches with yoghurt and basil sauce – I found the basil a bit overpowering and Crunchy chocolate with pistachio ice cream – not as good as Fat Duck Delice of Chocolate but pretty damn fine.

We had a very pleasant Pinot Grigio for £24.

We didn’t order coffee but they still gave us some biscotti (more like shortbread) and some gorgeous chewy almond things.

This place is the bargain of the century – if you can find a better-valued dinner in London I will eat my pants

if you can find a better-valued dinner in London I will eat my pants

Grandly presented with a lattice of crispy potato piled high on top? Mmmm, I wonder what wine goes best with pants.

ok, ok so I'm no AA Gill but my challenge still holds! and does anyone know the name of the critic from my vivid description?

if you can find a better-valued dinner in London I will eat my pants

Grandly presented with a lattice of crispy potato piled high on top? Mmmm, I wonder what wine goes best with pants.

ok, ok so I'm no AA Gill but my challenge still holds! and does anyone know the name of the critic from my vivid description?

Sounds like Nick Foulkes

S

We were sat next to a food critic (can’t remember his name - tall, fat, floppy hair, 50 odd) who couldn’t wait to get his notepad out for everyone to see.

Jay Rayner?

S

Damn you all. I am indeed 36. My hair is short. And I've cut out the carbs so I'm a little less....

I think I can name the critic, but it would be unfair of me to do so from your description. Just out of curiosity, was his companion an attractive woman with dark curly hair?

Jay

Do you think a rule could be intoduced that no-one should describe any dishes before lunch time.

I now need to go out and get a bacon buttie to keep me going.

:laugh:

finally someone who suffers from similar ailments - egullet early-morning syndrome!

as for the description of the food, that pseudo-fusion italian concoction simply does not appeal to me.

-franco