• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hpnotiq

a-nomad

Has anyone heard of (or tried) a product from France called "Hpnotiq," made from cognac, vodka, and tropical fruit juices.

It is sold in a bright, blue bottle.

I came across it today for the first time and was just curious about it.

http://www.ardentspirits.com/Links/Hpnotiq.html

http://www.hpnotiq.com/

Gary Regan had told me about this product a while back, and suggested that I not dismiss it out of hand for having a "blue gimick". Here in Washington State, it wasn't on "the list", but it could be special ordered by restaurants (or folks willing to pick up a case or two). "Occassionally" a few cases would pop up in two or three stores in the Seattle area, word would get out, and they would be scarfed up almost instantly.

It "just" got placed on to the regular list, and so now is making a more standard appearance at some stores. I just picked up a bottle, and while I haven't had time to take more then a sip out of it, it is.... uh.... interesting. I haven't decided if I like it yet or not, or if it really can be a useful cocktail ingredient or not, but it does have some interesting flavors going on.

Folks here in WA can check the online database (http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp) to find out if it is in a store near them.

-Robert Hess

www.DrinkBoy.com

I got a free bottle of it a couple weekends ago, and what do you know, I drank it.

Mickblueeyes said it all--yes, it's a little distasteful. I thought I'd like it because I like Alize (a lot), but it was pukey.

We call it "The Blue."

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 5 weeks later...

I suspect, like last year's craze for Belvidere Vodka, this is a one-hit wonder -- it became popular when mentioned in a hip-hop song. As new songs (and drink mentions) come along, it's popularity will dwindle. It's already showing signs of happening.

Huge difference between Belvedere and a fruit juice flavoured cognac!

It was a last minute/impulse item positioned right at the cash register when I went to a Super K-Mart earlier this week..... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Looks great in a glass but its too sweet for me. This is really a cocktail mixer in disguise that just absolutely exploded in terms of sales. Currently ranks number 44 on the top 100 alcohol brands sold in 2002, it entered at 44 which is near impossible whilst outselling some major brands. I think Hpnotiq will still be in the top 100 this year (maybe 80-100) but the sales have peaked, by 2004 it will not be in the top 100 brands sold, similar to what happened to Brilliant Vodka, that vodka sold based on the shape of the bottle and the shot glass that came on the top of it.

• 9 months later...

Had some tonight at a Cancer Society fund-raiser.

Foul, just....foul. Not helped by the fact that it was served with a raver glo-swizzle-stick.

Ick. Too sweet, too fruity in the wrong way.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

It's not horribly bad...little sweet, but it's not going to hurt you. I had a 'martini' of it at our local Thai Place, Thai Place, because like you I was curious about the stuff. It was largely forgettable. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what else was in this drink. No vermouth, certainly. It sometimes makes appearances at parties if somebody is feeling ritzy or it's a special occasion ("Oooh, Hpnotiq! Classy!" --Everybody's e-Ball date) of some kind. I know, it's kind of sad...we used to do really well, too!

In summation, it's not the worst thing ever, but there are many better things to spend your money on. If you really have to try it, go to a bar you never expect to return to, order some (In a dirty glass!!)

-- C.S.

"Things Were Better When HE Was Social Chair, Damn It!"

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

We bought a bottle and enjoyed the first drink. Since then it has sat in the fridge. hmmmm... I wonder if that means it isn't all that great. So, guess it is okay but nothing to write home about.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Yes it's sweet, yes it's a shocking kitschy color and yes I like it. Compared to the martini perversions I've had it is no better, no worse.

I first had it as a sorbet at a French restaurant - that tones the color and rough edges down. It was a big hit with the food professionals at the table that night.

I'm on my second bottle. :biggrin:

I've tried the stuff too and i don't think it's one of those things that people buy for the taste. You do hear the name being dropped in a few songs, and it reminds me of when me and my friends used to buy alize, and listened to a lot of 2pac. If I remember correctly, Hpnotiq was too expensive and just tasted like crappy juice with vodka in it. Never tried it in one of those designer martinis, but I'm not really one for silly garbage like that. Usually when i drink anything other than straight liquor or beer, I limit it to drinks that have all the ingredients in the name of the drink (jack and coke, seven and seven, etc). Anyways, Hpnotiq isn't something I'd drink, unless it was the only bottle of booze in the fridge and it was before noon.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

I suspect, like last year's craze for Belvidere Vodka, this is a one-hit wonder

It's a shame that Belvedere's popularity has waned ............(where are you from?) because whilst it may not be a top-selling spirit, it IS a vodka of exceptional quality. I must admit to a personal preference for Chopin (the clean lines of a velvety, subtly sweet and oh-so-smooth potato based liquor are hard to beat!)

I've personally been avoiding Hpnotiq like the plaque: if the base cognac and vodka were any good, they wouldn't need to disguise them with fruit juice, would they? :wink:

Edited by arielle (log)

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.