• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

places you can order a decent cocktail

trillium

I thought it might be fun to find out where people have had proper cocktails...you know, no limp wristed shaking, fresh juice, decent vermouths, not called a martini just because it comes in a cocktail glass, not too many sex on a rooftop type drinks etc... These days, I prefer to make mine at home, but when you travel that's not usually an option, which is why it might be nice to know where one could go for a sip or two of something icy. I'll start.

Chicago

Mia Francesca (Clark St location) -- really good Negronis, they use Punt e Mes vermouth

Delilah's -- $2 Maker's Mark Manhattans on Fridays rock, and they're the right size (not too big). For that price I forgive the not so great vermouth.

erwin's -- very enjoyable martinis, with yuppie olive versions the only minus is that they are too large.

Gingerman -- the best thing about this bar is that the bartenders will try to make you the drink you want, even if they aren't familiar with it, plus their top shelf bourbon pours are on the very generous side. We usually avoided them on weekend nights like the plague. That's when the scourge of Wriglyville comes out...lots of drunken frat boys.

The Long Room-- good Manhattans and they use a brandy soaked cherry instead of the maraschino ones.. yum

San Francisco

Most of the places we used to go to died (Jack's in the TL, RIP) since we've moved but there are few left

Bueana Vista -- the so called birthplace of Irish coffees in the US. The tourists are annoying but the drink is damn fine on a foggy afternoon.

Latin America Club -- they gave me my education on what a great martini tastes like... the last time I was there (about 4 years ago) it was dreadfully overrun by the young and dot.com salaried set but I imagine if they're still there things will have mellowed out.

Wishing Well --This is a dive bar (seriously...don't order anything wussy like amaretto, it will pour out of the right looking bottle but be fake) but they make some of the best Picon Punches I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

Now it's your turn.

regards,

trillium

I thought it might be fun to find out where people have had proper cocktails...

San Francisco

Wishing Well  --This is a dive bar (seriously...don't order anything wussy like amaretto, it will pour out of the right looking bottle but be fake) but they make some of the best Picon Punches I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. 

Now it's your turn.

regards,

trillium

The Wishing Well was purchased and is now Fireside, and although the bartenders there are nice, they are among the worst I've encountered. Plus the owners always have their dogs in the bar, which I don't like.

Some newer places in San Francisco that show promise are Rolling Rock (RR) in Glen Park (took the place of the old dive bar "New Lodge"); Bliss Bar on 24th; and the Orbit Room on Market at Laguna.

Absinthe in Hayes Valley is supposed to have great cocktails, but I haven't been there so I can't say.

In the East Bay, the best place for a well made and perfectly served cocktail used to be Nizza La Bella in Albany, but as I haven't been there in a few years, I can't attest to the current state of the bar. My guess is that it's still good, though.

I'm no expert on cocktails, but I've had good ones at the Temple Bar on Lafayette just north of Houston and Mooza, on Orchard St. between Houston and Stanton, both in Manhattan, NY.

Michael aka "Pan"

I had the best Ginger Cosmo at the 66 one of the Jean Georges's restaurant.

They made also a great ginger margarita called Marja'rita and you have also to try the China Star, it's a mix of guanabana juice and fresh razpberry puréé with lemon flavored vodka and a splash of soda.

241 Church street

NYC

• 3 months later...

Chicago

Cafe Bolero, Western & Lyndale

An excellent Mojito. And ladies (and men), check out this bartender! Hot damn!

Club Lago, Chicago & Superior

The fabulous Guido and John Carlos Nardini. My favorite. These guys know how to pour.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Castelli's in Palm Desert, CA

Murph's Gaslight restaurant in Bermuda Dunes, CA

Bash's in Palm Desert, CA

Sullivan's Steakhouse in Palm Desert, CA

The Sandbar in La Quinta, CA

Lord Fletcher's in Rancho Mirage CA (or maybe they're in Palm Desert...its right on the border)

Shame on the Moon in Rancho Mirage, CA