• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-packaged salad

fresco

I use those round disc things in my crisper that I get at Bed Bath & Beyond. They really work. They have a catalyst in them that inactivates ethylene gas, the natural respiration product of ripening fruits and veggies that causes them to ripen (first stage to rot). My stuff lasts at least three times as long as without them. Bagged salad greens last at least three weeks.

what are the round disc things you refer to?

Ha! I found it! You can buy the disks at Bed, Bath & Beyond-type stores (at about half the price you see listed here):

The green disk thingy

HOORAY FOR TOLIVER! :wub:

I drove myself NUTS looking for those things on the web. Somehow googling for "green disc thingy" wasn't working for me. :biggrin:

I Google-searched for "green disk keep vegetables fresher longer" (thinking I could get a hit with the sales pitch for it) and ending up finding it on page two of the results. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

One of the big factors for me is many of the bagged salads are pre-washed multiple times and ready to eat. Washing and drying greens is annoying and I refuse to buy a salad spinner.

Salads are the quickest thing I make practically because of bagged greens.

but it can't be anything containing iceberg for me - i usually get romaine and a spring mix.

Generally I agree with you on this matter, but differ in one area.

A quarter head of Iceberg (cut into a 1/4, not torn up), some thinly sliced white onions, and some very strong blue cheese dressing (I am talking 10 on the stink factor, here) with lots of black pepper is a highly underrated eating experience.

Charlie's Steakhouse in New Orleans (right around the corner from Pascal Manale's on Napoleon Ave.) serves this and I have been doing it at home for years. It really is good. Otherwise, no iceberg for me, generally. :wacko:

oh i wholeheartedly agree on fresh iceberg - i meant specifically the iceberg in the bags - it always seems to turn pink before anything else does.

your wedge desciption just made me hungry. damn you!

ps - except i would use red instead of white onions. and throw some bacon crumbles on for uhhh color.

Edited by tryska (log)