• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic/indispenable French menu

Lochina

A friend of mine is going to be spending 3 weeks in France in July. I was thinking of putting together a (relatively) simple and (very) delicious French-themed meal for him before he goes away. I'm sure there's a lot of room for debate here, but what are some classic French recipes that shouldn't be overlooked? I'll probably just do a salad/appetizer course (frisee aux lardons?), a main, and a dessert. What dishes would YOU put on a great French menu?

Thanks.

You can't come to this USA sponsored site and ask questions about "French" anything. All you'll see is "McDonald's is..." or, "hey, how about that McDonald's..."

I suggest not attempting any sort-of food (other than USA'ite) queries due to the current anti-anything-not-USA'ite sentiment.

Hold on.

What is USA'ite cusine anyway?

signed,

fed up

[edit: oh, you can always watch FTV to learn everything about how we eat in the USA --from their commercials, that is.]

Edited by dave88 (log)

A friend of mine is going to be spending 3 weeks in France in July. I was thinking of putting together a (relatively) simple and (very) delicious French-themed meal for him before he goes away.

Honestly, why would you want to do that? He'll be having French food in France for 3 weeks! Make Chinese, Italian, Indian - anything but a French meal for him. That's what I'd do in your shoes. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Here is a menu I did for friends last month. I didn't photograph it, so I haven't posted it before.

They often let us use their little house in France, so the theme was French.

It was the first time they had dined with us, so it was something of a shock for them.

Tapenade and olives with Pastis

Small clams with a velouté of jurusalem artichoke and honey

Foie Gras pan fried on puy lentils au lard, sherry vinaigrette

Wild salmon caviar in a coulis of cauliflower

Small langoustines with green salad

Trio of Fish in a Sole fumet

Wine : Pouilly Fuissé

Poulet de Bresse Coq au vin with mash and rocket

Wine : Fleurie

Chariot of cheeses

St. Agur, Brie, Morbier, Compté, Chevre with honey

Creme Brulée with raspberries and a berry coulis

Wine : Sauternes

Café et Cognac

Thanks for the replies!

Honestly, why would you want to do that? He'll be having French food in France for 3 weeks! Make Chinese, Italian, Indian - anything but a French meal for him. That's what I'd do in your shoes. 

Pan--ha. I thought of this, but it's more of a nice gesture than anything else. My other thought was to make a surprise meal of all his faves--he tells me his favorite ingredients, and I tailor a menu around them...we'll see.

P.S.--Pan: I believe rocket=arugula.

Edited by Lochina (log)

Poulet de Bresse Coq au vin with mash and rocket

Mash = mache? But what is "rocket"?

Sorry. Mash = mashed potato, as in bangers and mash.

I like to do mash and mâche, but I couldn't find any.

Hence mash and rocket. Pommes purée avec roquette.

rocket = arugula = arrugola = rugola = rugula = rocket salad = Italian cress = roquette = rucola = Mediterranean rocket

Thanks for the replies!
Honestly, why would you want to do that? He'll be having French food in France for 3 weeks! Make Chinese, Italian, Indian - anything but a French meal for him. That's what I'd do in your shoes. 

Pan--ha. I thought of this, but it's more of a nice gesture than anything else. My other thought was to make a surprise meal of all his faves--he tells me his favorite ingredients, and I tailor a menu around them...we'll see.

You didn't think of that, I told you that, but you never listen to me. Do his favorite foods thing, it makes a lot more sense.

-Eric

I like to do mash and mâche, but I couldn't find any.

Hence mash and rocket.  Pommes purée avec roquette.

Another transatlantic lapse from English to American ears. Pommes purée avec roquette sounds great. When I read mash and rocket, I assumed mashed potatoes with an arugula salad on the plate, a far less appealing presentation with coq au vin. Thanks for the translation. French may be the language the British should use when communicating with Americans about food. :biggrin:

I think it would be futile or absurd to welcome a friend back from France with a French meal, although if one normally cooks French food, it could be norma. However, if one is leaving for France, I think it's a proper send off. The problem these days is determining just what classic French food is. I hardly ever see it on great menus in France. Everyone is so creative.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

An easy menu I've long considered as typifying the genius of French cooking is a meal served by Tante Paulette at her eponymous restaurant (now closed, unfortunately) and described by Patricia Wells in her Bistro Cooking book:

Salade à l'ail chez Tante Paulette

Mixed greens, lardons and fresh crutons fried alongside the lardons, dressed with a thick, mustardy vinaigrette and showered with finely minced garlic

Bouillabaisse de poulet

Saffron-, thyme- and Pernod-scented chicken stew with fennel and potatoes

Saint-Marcellin

The tangy, creamy, hockey puck-sized cheese from the Dauphiné

Omelette aux poires

Sweet omelet filled with caramelized pears and flambéed with Poire Williams and/or Cognac.

Start with a glass of white wine and pop the cork on an old Bandol or one of the better Beaujolais for the bouillabaisse and cheese. You'll swear you've been spirited to Lyon!