• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bordeaux Dilemma

Craig Camp

We should play with our history, our knowledge and our traditions,’ says Ginestet’s Delpeuch. - the last line of the article.

I buy bordeaux and a majority of my french purchases because I am looking for some terroir, ageability, and delicacy. A bottle of 82 Brane Cantenac recently cost me 65 bucks. A screaming deal. You would be hard pressed to find anything like it from an american company with similar character for that price.

Sure, the french charge more for their wines, but its a matter of preference. I dont care a lot of the fat over oaked trash that comes out of California. Im not saying its all bad, a lot of producers are changing their styles to involve more soiling character and rely less on profitable yeilds. But if I go for something high end, Im going french.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

However, the issue is why is there no Bordeaux "Yellow Tail"?

Both sides of the Rothschild family have expanded their offerings far beyond Mouton and Lafite, with wines from the Pays d'Oc, Chile and Bordeaux. Mouton Cadet is the most familiar "brand" from Bordeaux, even though it no longer costs $4.99. Phillipe de Rothschild's website states that they sell 28.5 million bottles of wine a year. Yvon Mau and Domaines Barons de Rothschild must move similar numbers or more. What are they looking for?

Mark

But why do you never see giant case stackings of Mouton Cadet like you do of Yellowtail?

My feeling is that part of the reason is payola. The French have never felt they have to 'buy' their business. The Australians hit the market with the spirit of pure capitalism in their hearts.