• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trout at Phila. Farmers Markets

Every Tuesday during the appropriate months, I go to my neighborhood farmer's market at South & Passyunk. Last year, one of my favorite stalls was the trout guy. I ate a lot of trout during the summer and fall of 2002.

But this year, the trout guy isn't there! To make matters worse, I can't remember the name of the company: it was something like "Pocono Valley Trout". But I want some nice fresh trout... I want to coat it with cornmeal or panko and fry it up; I want to stuff it and broil it; I want to... oh, you get the idea.

Anybody know where the trout is? Maybe at one of the other markets? Anybody? anybody? ...help?

No, that would be the great White Whale...

Oh ferchrissakes get over yerselves! :biggrin:

I think the "trout guy" was at the farmer's market at Head House Square on Saturdays between 10-2. Might want to try there this weekend. Or maybe he's just not out yet. 'Tis early in the Farmer's Market season yet, n'est ce pas?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Pocono Trout guy isn't coming back. Suzanne Minnis, who writes the weekly Powelton farmer's market newsletter, told us about a month ago that his boss decided coming to the market wasn't financially working out. It's a big loss, I agree.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

To my knowledge he was the only vendor selling fresh fish at the markets--has anyone noticed any other fish vendor this year??

I tried the meat vendor at the Powelton Market--I had the flank steak and wasn't thrilled. It wasn't better than what I get at Genuardi's. I am curious about the rabbits they have tho.

The Big Sky bread guy is fantastic--I love his bread filled w/ ham & cheese--last time it was brie.

Any other market tips would be greatly appreciated..

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Was the meat vendor Meadow Run Farms? They're at the Tuesday market, and I think they told me that they're at the Powleton mkt too. I haven't tried their beef: evidently they've been having inventory problems. But the leg of lamb I got last week was pretty good.

Word to the Big Sky love. Very good sourdough bread.

The only tip I have is to keep your eyes out for the Asian pear lady: she should be around by late summer or fall, if not already. Those Asian pears rule.

The Asian pear lady is due out in late July.

I stocked up on her jams/ jellies last year and am still giving them as gifts, and they are still delicious.

Don't know the name of the meat guys--but one of the two guys who comes uses a crutch--are those the guys?

My favorite vendor above all else is the guy who runs His Kids Dairy. The dad's name escapes me, but he is SUCH a great guy, and makes the best fudge and iced tea, and hot sausages, and the cheese is pretty good too.

-- William Grimes

The only tip I have is to keep your eyes out for the Asian pear lady: she should be around by late summer or fall, if not already.  Those Asian pears rule.

I LOVE THE ASIAN PEAR LADY.

OK really I just love her asian pears. I have gotten so addicted to those damn things over the last three years that sometimes I'm tempted to buy the $3 foam-wrapped ones in the fresh fields. And when I do, I'm always disappointed at their lack of flavor.

Also, at the market at 17th & South, there are no meat or fish or bread people. So consider yourselves lucky.

Don't know the name of the meat guys--but one of the two guys who comes uses a crutch--are those the guys?

Yup, that's them. All I've tried from them so far is the lamb, but yesterday I picked up a chicken- we'll see how it turns out. I hope that it'll be transcendent, of course, but even if it's not, it's a way to put my money where my mouth is on the whole eating locally thing...

OK really I just love her asian pears. I have gotten so addicted to those damn things over the last three years that sometimes I'm tempted to buy the $3 foam-wrapped ones in the fresh fields. And when I do, I'm always disappointed at their lack of flavor.

AMEN! I can hardly wait until she's back. I've often said, her Asian Pears are undoubtedly the fruit from the Garden of Eden, because nothing less would be worthy of banishment from Paradise.

Best fruit EVER. Period.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Have you all tried the Japanese turnips? They are small and white, and I get at both the 2nd and South and the Powelton markets on Saturdays for about $2/ bunch.

They're delicious--just slice right up (no cooking!) and sprinkle w/ lemon juice. Crisp, refreshing and good for you!

-- William Grimes

Have you all tried the Japanese turnips? They are small and white, and I get at both the 2nd and South and the Powelton markets on Saturdays for about $2/ bunch.

They're delicious--just slice right up (no cooking!) and sprinkle w/ lemon juice. Crisp, refreshing and good for you!

No I haven't. Sounds pretty damn good though. GIMME GIMME GIMME

the white turnips are completely delicious! can't wait till saturday...REALLY can't wait till the asian pears are out. there's a meat lady at 2nd & south...great chicken, okay ground beef. also there's a bread guy from delaware at 5th & south on tuesdays 1-7 with this whole wheat sourdough baguette that is so good, but always gone by the time i get there after work. thank god for farmer's markets!

Couple of items from today's Powelton Village farmer's market newsletter that will interest y'all:

FIRST: THERE WILL BE TROUT AT THIS SATURDAY'S MARKET!!!

"Danny Gerber (of UNI) has found another fish farmer in the Poconos, and

this week they will have a limited amount of fresh whole trout! We hope that those of you who have felt bereft without your trout will get there early, try the trout, and report back. If the trout is as good as your memory of Tom Ryan's, they will add more varieties, and will try to make arrangements for a smokehouse."

SECOND: YOU CAN PRE-0RDER YOUR BREAD FROM BLUE SKY BREAD

"Dave of Blue Sky Bread wants you to know that you can pre-order any special bread you might need by calling the Bakeryat 302-475-9494 by Tuesday, and he will have your order for you that Saturday. They can make almost any combination of fruit bread, extra large Challah, many wheat-free products,cookies, etc. or anything else you would like. Dave will have his usual large variety of fruit and yeast breads; come and see (and taste) what surprises he has for us this week."

This market is at 37th and Lancaster Aves Saturdays 10-2 pm.

There's also a guy making great bbq pork sandwiches and selling whole bbq'd chickens and another guy selling homemade ice cream...

-- William Grimes

I believe that Pocono Mountain has ceased serving the Phila . Area, they merged with another trout farm is what I heard from the folks at The Fair Food Project. We can no longer get thier trout which we had been serving since we opened I Lovbed it and our trout salad was a huge seller!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Well, I went to find the promised trout on Saturday...but it wasn't there!! Everyone was asking for the fish guy, but I guess he didn't show.

Got the most rockin' cheese and iced tea and fudge (YUM) from the His Kids Dairy guy (Paul) at the Clark Park market. Go and try his new 'fudge shots'--so good.

-- William Grimes