• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Wellington

sabg

What's the fat layer around the beef, it looks like a trimmed fat cap from a ribeye?

I'm not sure why it looks like that in the picture! Following Ramsey's recipe, I only seared the tenderloin in a pan (I did not roast as many other recipes directed) and cooled it for 1 hour. Next, I applied a thin layer of mustard, duxelle mixture, and wrapped with proscuitto. Chilled again for 1 hour, then wrapped with puff pastry, chilled again, then baked at 400 F until the internal temperature reached just 120 F (about 40 minutes).

Maybe the proscuitto melted? I'm not sure . . .

For xmas, I'm going to kick it up a bit by adding some dried porcinis to the duxelle mix. I'm glad that I can make this the day before. It was not difficult to prepare, but it was time consuming with all the chilling and multiple steps.

kbjesq: That looks absolutely delightful! LOVE LOVE the golden brown of that particular corner hehe.

I've actually never eaten Beef Wellington before but your creation is realllyyy tempting me to!

I shall look up the recipe on youtube.

Did you find it difficult? Or easy peasy?

Thanks! I always heard that BW was difficult to prepare, but really, I didn't think that it was hard at all. Just time consuming!