• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recovering from Food Poisoning

Wow, Pan, for an artist you sure have a lot of good science! :smile:

Thankfully, we are not lactose intolerant. But I am a believer in taking acidophilus to rebuild the good bacteria after ALL have been destroyed by antibiotics. Worked for me, anyway. So Malachi, I say GO FOR IT. (Hope you're feeling okay by now.)

So tonight I made a chicken soup with a couple of thighs, some brown chix stock from the freezer, a can of Swanson Natural Goodness chix broth, and some carrot, celery, garlic (whole), ginger, lemongrass, and lime leave. Strained out all the solids and defatted. Served the broth with the cleaned shredded chicken meat and cellophane noodles (as requested by HWOE). Thanks to all who suggested chicken soup!

Tomorrow I may introduce a vegetable. What's nice and low-fiber? Would it be all right to use some peeled chayote?

Malachi, how are you getting along? Are you back onto real food yet?

I daringly gave HWOE some (purchased) onigiri for lunch. So far so good. Dinner will be real: trout fillets (probably grilled), steamed peeled chayote, and probably more g-d rice.

Sadly, while I'm much better (thank you so much), I'm still experiencing a lot of intestinal distress and some noticable weakness. I've very much concerned that this may be a return of a prior parasite.

I'm so glad to hear that he's back to at least near normal. I assume it hasn't affected his appetite, his passion nor his adventurous eating!!

fanatic...

This is a long way of saying that lactase deficiency aka lactose intolerance has nothing whatsoever to do with acidophilus.

Thanks for the info, artist/nutritionist Pan! See what I don't know?!? :wink:

Meanwhile, I'll continue to ingest acidophilus in my yogurt and keep my Lactaid-Ultra handy for that second bowl of ice cream. :biggrin:

Malachi, sorry to hear you've not returned to normal; I shall think good thoughts for your speedy recovery.

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

Malachi, have you been drinking Gatorade? As awful as it tastes, according to our doctor it DOES help replace the potassium your system has lost -- which is a big help for making you feel better, less achy, etc. HWOE said the "orange" version was almost drinkable; tasted kind of like tangerine.

BTW: have you seen a doctor? Particularly if you think it could be a little bugger returning. Those guys don't leave on their own. Got to force them out! :angry: